Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ NEIL WARNOCK WANTS 3 MORE SIGNINGS ‘

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:34 pm

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock targets three more players and ponders whether to make big-money striker move

Friday 28th June 2019

Warnock has only just started his Bluebirds summer transfer business, despite triple swoop

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock plans to bring in three more players in the summer transfer window and is weighing up whether to make a big-money swoop for a striker.

The Bluebirds manager announced the captures of Will Vaulks, Curtis Nelson and Joe Day as he begins his planning for a promotion push in 2019-20.

However, the triple swoop is only the start of Warnock's close-season work. He intends to bolster his squad further in a bid to take Cardiff straight back up to the Premier League.

We understand Warnock still wants to bring in another midfielder to increase numbers in the engine room, as well as a new winger.

That would take the new signings tally to five.

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock has landed Will Vaulks as part of a triple swoop, but wants three more players on top
However, Warnock is also contemplating whether to spend millions on a striker - the decision that could yet hold the key to the Bluebirds' promotion fate.

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan has given Warnock a budget for a pursuit of summer transfer targets, but Warnock feels he can get better value for money by going after bargains from the lower divisions.

The exception to the rule, he accepts, is centre-forward. Cardiff know a goalscoring striker will cost a lot of money and Warnock will contemplate over the coming weeks whether to embark down that route.

He feels there is no point in trying to sign a striker on the cheap and hoping he comes good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ‘ NEIL WARNOCK WANTS 3 MORE SIGNINGS ‘

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 pm

if we dont spend on a striker i dont think we will get near promotion tbh, look at the top 6-7 teams last season they all had a threat up front and we cant rely on ken so that has to be a position we sort out

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Basically he's saying they are trying to agree a fee for a striker. But asking too much and not sure if needed.

So he's playing the "your loss" card.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 pm

I disagree, Ken zahore looked like he could forge a decent partnership with bobby Reid at the end of last season. But, they need a good run of games to get going. I do believe that ken zahore has ability but he needs a strike partner. Paterson wasn’t it.

The game against palace there were glimpses that something could develop. We went up without a prolific scorer last time, but for me we are already better off up top just having Reid, he will score in this division and we know zahore can, it’s all about the service not the strikers.

On a real positive if ralls ( I am not his biggest fan) can continue his form he was showing before his injury and we can add another midfielder and winger we could be up there next year.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 pm

I disagree, Ken zahore looked like he could forge a decent partnership with bobby Reid at the end of last season. But, they need a good run of games to get going. I do believe that ken zahore has ability but he needs a strike partner. Paterson wasn’t it.

The game against palace there were glimpses that something could develop. We went up without a prolific scorer last time, but for me we are already better off up top just having Reid, he will score in this division and we know zahore can, it’s all about the service not the strikers.

On a real positive if ralls ( I am not his biggest fan) can continue his form he was showing before his injury and we can add another midfielder and winger we could be up there next year.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:20 pm

Reza wrote:if we dont spend on a striker i dont think we will get near promotion tbh, look at the top 6-7 teams last season they all had a threat up front and we cant rely on ken so that has to be a position we sort out

And yet we have been promoted twice without a 15 goal striker. It helps, but isn’t essential. Clean sheets are what gets you out of the Championship

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:27 pm

bluebird58 wrote:
Reza wrote:if we dont spend on a striker i dont think we will get near promotion tbh, look at the top 6-7 teams last season they all had a threat up front and we cant rely on ken so that has to be a position we sort out

And yet we have been promoted twice without a 15 goal striker. It helps, but isn’t essential. Clean sheets are what gets you out of the Championship

Agreed but hopefully, we've still got the players to keep the clean sheets, Warnock got his fingers burnt last season by not signing a goal scoring Striker, he won't make the same mistake again, I expect a goal scoring Striker and a top midfielder in and to be there or thereabouts all season :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:59 pm

This answers the questions I posed earlier.
I'm sorry but Ken can't be relied upon so whilst we can keep him and hope he'll improve we do need a proper striker, and that's certainly not Gary Madine, who needs to go.
I've been saying this for ages , but Neal Maupay is the obvious and ideal answer.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:Basically he's saying they are trying to agree a fee for a striker. But asking too much and not sure if needed.

So he's playing the "your loss" card.

That's quite astute mate,never thought of it like that.might be someone with just a year left on his current contract.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Sorry can’t agree with that..We already have a massive threat upfront...Zahore, Ward, Madine, Murphy, NML, Reid, Junior..add in Patterson and possibly Tomlin.. has any other championship club got better than that??

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:13 pm

Sorry can’t agree with that..We already have a massive threat upfront...Zahore, Ward, Madine, Murphy, NML, Reid, Junior..add in Patterson and possibly Tomlin.. has any other championship club got better than that??

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Mr Potato wrote:I disagree, Ken zahore looked like he could forge a decent partnership with bobby Reid at the end of last season. But, they need a good run of games to get going. I do believe that ken zahore has ability but he needs a strike partner. Paterson wasn’t it.

I think big ken is quality and Bobby, but unfortunately we have a manager that is anti football, play to big Ken's strengths in to him or in the channels for him to run to on not just lunmp it up to him, any player with good technical ability is fucked under Warnock to be honest. DJ would be the man to get this team playing great football, as we have some quality players in the squad.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:16 pm

I think we have the striker to shoot us to promotion in Bobby Reid.

We just need to play to his strengths

A front 4 of Murphy, Reid , Tomlin and Mendez would be very very good at this level

The only striker I would like to see from the league is Maupay

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:35 pm

nins27 wrote:
Mr Potato wrote:I disagree, Ken zahore looked like he could forge a decent partnership with bobby Reid at the end of last season. But, they need a good run of games to get going. I do believe that ken zahore has ability but he needs a strike partner. Paterson wasn’t it.

I think big ken is quality and Bobby, but unfortunately we have a manager that is anti football, play to big Ken's strengths in to him or in the channels for him to run to on not just lunmp it up to him, any player with good technical ability is fucked under Warnock to be honest. DJ would be the man to get this team playing great football, as we have some quality players in the squad.

That’s the zahore dilemma, as soon as he comes on we lump aimless crap up top to him. Same for madine and would be same for any other big striker he bought. But, with the midfield and width we have I think it will be a bit more pro football this season. The annoyance is, the long ball to zahore if kept low and in channels would be spot on, it’s the floaty crap to no one that kills him.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:53 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think we have the striker to shoot us to promotion in Bobby Reid.

A front 4 of Murphy, Reid , Tomlin and Mendez would be very very good at this level

I think Reid upfront would be a disaster the way we play. He has to be the number 10 imo otherwise he is just wasted.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:55 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think we have the striker to shoot us to promotion in Bobby Reid.

That doesn't make any sense at all.
Forget Tomlin for a start -we've seen silly stories but that's bullshit and you certainly wouldn't put him in the first team straight away.
The players you list can't play together in any known system , particularly our system.

I agree absolutely about Bobby Reid though, but he's got to tuck in behind a big striker because he's too small to be the target man. I also agree about Maupay !

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

I think Reid upfront would be a disaster the way we play. He has to be the number 10 imo otherwise he is just wasted.

That's how I see it.

The mistake was playing him as a striker on his own, it just didn't work.

We simply have to play him in the number ten role, because he will be brilliant from there - he's proved it in the past.

There was a period last season where he was in great form by playing behind the striker, but for some reason it didn't happen again.

I also believe that Danny Ward is a very good striker at Championship level and will be seen a lot more than people are suggesting.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:02 pm

They can play together in a apparent "4231 formation" with Ralls and Vaulks behind

Formations dont really matter it's more about tactics and work ethic.
The days of 442 , 433 and 541 are long gone.
Player roles have taken over player positions

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:24 pm

nins27 wrote:

Keep up the positivity why don't you :banghead: big ken is quality :?: so when does he decide to show it :lol: one good half season so far :thumbup: you are sounding like the opposition already :roll: :old: :bluebird:

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:28 am

Reid upfront on his own didn't and won't work. With our current squad the only way we'll see him and/or Ken thriving is if they are playing together.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 am

Let's hope he brings in some quality players not freebies or Poundland players, and then play's them , not like the players he brought in last season, who he spent 40 million on for them not to play.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:10 am

Although I think we would see a better return from zohore playing in a front 4, like at United away, I would still like to see the club bring in a quality striker.

Jazz and peltier are decent defenders but are quite injury prone so I think we need a new RB to go in as first choice or at least 2nd choice.

And I think we still need another decent CM to rotate/challenge Ralls and Vaulks in the middle.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:18 am

Escott1927 wrote:Although I think we would see a better return from zohore playing in a front 4, like at United away, I would still like to see the club bring in a quality striker.

Jazz and peltier are decent defenders but are quite injury prone so I think we need a new RB to go in as first choice or at least 2nd choice.

And I think we still need another decent CM to rotate/challenge Ralls and Vaulks in the middle.

Yup pretty much how I see it.

I think Warnock will bring in a winger as well.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:35 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:Although I think we would see a better return from zohore playing in a front 4, like at United away, I would still like to see the club bring in a quality striker.

Yup pretty much how I see it.

I think Warnock will bring in a winger as well.

I think your'e both right.We may well see the gaffer have a larger squad this time around as injury and suspension cost us big time the last time we were in the championship.Who can forget that december when we struggled badly for points.I don't suppose the gaffer will want that sort of situation again.I'm hoping we can get that winger from pompey Jamal Lowe as I think he will fit in great.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:05 pm

A class midfielder is really all we need. Without one we an forget about promotion.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:19 pm

I think we can get promoted without signing a striker but I feel like we should look to do more than just get promoted - the stronger the squad we would have now then the less work would be needed next season when it comes to constructing a team good enough to stay in the Premier League (considering we go up)

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Let's hope 3 better ones than what we got so far. How can you call it a Swoop for a player from Newport
And 2 others that are are cheap risks.
We need quality in midfield and attack before we start branded the transfers a Swoop FFS!!

Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:28 am

crey wrote:Let's hope 3 better ones than what we got so far. How can you call it a Swoop for a player from Newport
And 2 others that are are cheap risks.
We need quality in midfield and attack before we start branded the transfers a Swoop FFS!!

I think the key is filling in these positions using as little funds as possible so you know how much you have to splash on the key players.

That's how I would do it anyway, seems logical.