Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

San Antonio friendly

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:30 pm

We're playing on this pitch a week on Saturday!
Asking for trouble!!

https://youtu.be/vik4OOo5LSo

Re: San Antonio friendly

Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:54 pm

Hope it's in better shape now... Looking forward to this trip... There are five of us going in our group.. Is anyone else making the trip off here?

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:04 pm

I doubt it's any better...that game was only played 5 days ago!!

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Did I hear right that the goalkeeper was called a net minder

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:36 pm

corky wrote:Hope it's in better shape now... Looking forward to this trip... There are five of us going in our group.. Is anyone else making the trip off here?

Really wish I could do this trip...but sadly not even close to being a reality. San Antonio looks a nice place. The Alamo was in what is now San Antonio and the riverwalk looks a nice area for bars and restaurants. I've linked a short tourist video if you're interested. Have a good trip.

https://youtu.be/Jnm7flcqxB8

Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Anyone making the trip over? I am contemplating the New Mexico fixture

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Travelling with Corky 5 of us we are staying in the Riverwalk area near the Alimo really looking forward to Texas then up to Canada and Edmonton

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:15 pm

As a Bluebird who has lived in the States for 30 years, I am excited that CCFC will be playing over here. Unfortunately, San Antonio is a bit far to go.

If you're making the trip from the UK then do visit the Alamo and the RiverWalk. There is a good "British" pub at the RiverWalk where you can get a decent fish & chips.

I am seriously thinking of making the trip to Albuquerque as it is just a 9 hour drive for me.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Plenty of places to eat at the riverwalk, especially Mexican, not sure why you would go all that way for fish & chips? Alamo is a must visit if only to say you've been there the next time it's on tv, only went there at night as I was in the San Antonio area for work but still pretty impressive.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Is my mind confusing me or am I right in saying we had a game called off in Germany a few years ago as the pitch was not up to standard in pre season.

Sounds like a good trip, hope this doesn't happen but I'm sure you'll have a good trip regardless

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Llantwit Blue wrote:Travelling with Corky 5 of us we are staying in the Riverwalk area near the Alimo really looking forward to Texas then up to Canada and Edmonton

Go to west Edmonton mall its massive in 80s it had dolfin show , ice rink 18 hole crazy golf, and at time the world's fastest roller coaster!! Plus indoor pool with waves and sandy beach ..... wonder how its changed
Oh and car park for 25k cars.. :shock:

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:20 am

They're playing another game on that pitch tomorrow night. Really can't see Warnock taking a chance with our players on such a hard, dry and bumpy surface. It's a big city, perhaps there's another pitch they can use. Heroes stadium next door has a plastic pitch, I believe, and Neil isn't a big fan of those. It would be a shame for our pre season preparation if it was called off and for all the fans who travel.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:01 am

Crikey, I thought that was old footage.. It looks a mess and Warnock has already said that he won't risk players on substandard pitches... It will be a shame if we can't play the majority of players during this trip but it is what it is and no doubt Warnock will get something out of it. Bonding between the new players and hopefully excellent training facilities will be available but like you say that pitch is dreadful

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:09 pm

corky wrote:Crikey, I thought that was old footage.. It looks a mess and Warnock has already said that he won't risk players on substandard pitches... It will be a shame if we can't play the majority of players during this trip but it is what it is and no doubt Warnock will get something out of it. Bonding between the new players and hopefully excellent training facilities will be available but like you say that pitch is dreadful

No mate, that video was from 26 June 2019....and they've got another home game tomorrow! I alerted City a couple of days ago...but don't know what will come of it. City should have people who are on top of this sort of stuff. Hope it goes ahead somewhere in San Antonio, but can you see Warnock taking s chance on that pitch?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:40 pm

They are hoping to get games in but not in that surface they may play the last two games full strength instead of the first two games... I doubt many will look forward to playing on that bur it may look worse than it is

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:09 pm

corky wrote:They are hoping to get games in but not in that surface they may play the last two games full strength instead of the first two games... I doubt many will look forward to playing on that bur it may look worse than it is

So they're going to go ahead on that pitch but not full strength team...is that what you're saying or did I misunderstand?

Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Not sure mate the manager will decide what's best just not sure if there is a contract involved to play games during the trip but it would need careful consideration if the pitch is very poor and I am sure there will be checks made

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:36 am

corky wrote:Not sure mate the manager will decide what's best just not sure if there is a contract involved to play games during the trip but it would need careful consideration if the pitch is very poor and I am sure there will be checks made

Strangely enough, the game in Albuquerque v New Mexico United is not being played at their usual stadium, Isotopes Park, but instead it's being played at the UNM Soccer Complex next door. Should be an excellent trip. Have a great time.

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:35 am

Looks like San Antonio are making progress with their pitch. Fast forward to 21 minutes and we see that they have laid new turf over almost a quarter of the field. Perhaps by our game in 9 days time they'll have most of it renewed. Here's hoping

https://youtu.be/T08KYX-G-80