Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LEE TOMLIN: DOOR OPEN FOR SURPRISE RETURN?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:03 am

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock leaves the door open for surprise Lee Tomlin return
By Ben James

The playmaker has been hard at work in the summer and it might have paid off

Wednesday 3rd July 2019

Neil Warnock has left the door open for Lee Tomlin to make an unlikely Cardiff City return.

The 30-year-old spent a chunk of last season on loan to Peterborough United after being left out of the Bluebirds' 25-man Premier League squad and his career at the club looked virtually over.

However, a social media post of Tomlin looking in lean shape ahead of pre-season has raised hopes that the playmaker may still have a future.

And while Warnock didn't mention Tomlin's name, he did admit that a couple of players had certainly given something to think about since the players returned from their holidays.

"I won't name names but one or two lads have come in fit that I never thought possible," said Warnock at the launch of club doctor Len Nokes' new book Only Time Will Tell: A Father's Journey.

"And who knows, you could change your mind after three weeks and we could have other players in the squad that we haven't in the past."

Those words will come as music to the ears of Tomlin, who had promised much after joining on a three-year deal at the start of the 2017/18 season - only to be loaned out to Nottingham Forest the following January after making 16 appearances and scoring just once.

In a recent interview with WalesOnline , Tomlin said he had already lost two stone this summer and admitted he was determined to lay to rest the concerns over his fitness as he stated his aim to send to the Bluebirds straight back up to the Premier League.

"People have this perception that if I left, it must mean I've fallen out with the manager," he said. "They couldn't be more wrong.

"I speak to him a lot. He helps me a lot, and he's got me back on track to the mentality I had as a kid and the one I had at Middlesbrough and Bournemouth. He's made me just want to play again, and do it at the highest level possible.

"He's literally been unbelievable to me. He's helped me off the pitch, on the pitch, told me what I could do better.

"Obviously, the main factor has been to get fit and like he's said to me before, if I'm fully fit I'm one of the best players in the Championship.

"The penny's dropped, and I just want to kick on. I'm focused on getting Cardiff City back in the Premier League and hopefully staying there."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LEE TOMLIN: DOOR OPEN FOR SURPRISE RETURN?

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 am

He has to say that, id be very surprised if he is anywhere near the first team squad after preseason. Either send out on loan of just not making the bench.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:28 am

2blue2handle wrote:He has to say that, id be very surprised if he is anywhere near the first team squad after preseason. Either send out on loan of just not making the bench.

I think whatever happens its down to the gaffer and no one else.Tomlin still remains arguably the most technically gifted not just in our squad but in the whole division and if he's the Tomlin of old it'll be like signing the type of player we couldn't afford.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 am

Looking that fit having lost that weight and seemingly mentally fit - then I would be very tempted to retain him.

We have seen he can change games, but with Murphy, Mendez, Reid, Hoilette, Ralls, Valks and others - he will have a fight on his hands to get a starting place - in my opinion.

My concern is - who is going up top, Ken ? - not unless he has finally sorted himself out, Patterson ? (only has a support option I think) , Reid ? and ANOther ?

I think we need to go and get someone as what we have , hasnt worked so far. It still baffles me how we got promoted without a recognised striker.... :bluescarf:

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:37 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Looking that fit having lost that weight and seemingly mentally fit - then I would be very tempted to retain him.

We have seen he can change games, but with Murphy, Mendez, Reid, Hoilette, Ralls, Valks and others - he will have a fight on his hands to get a starting place - in my opinion.

My concern is - who is going up top, Ken ? - not unless he has finally sorted himself out, Patterson ? (only has a support option I think) , Reid ? and ANOther ?

I think we need to go and get someone as what we have , hasnt worked so far. It still baffles me how we got promoted without a recognised striker.... :bluescarf:

If he’s under contract it’s not a case of ‘retain him’, more we’ve got him whether we like it or not so if he shows promise I’d like to think that he’d be considered for the squad at least.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:50 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:He has to say that, id be very surprised if he is anywhere near the first team squad after preseason. Either send out on loan of just not making the bench.

I think whatever happens its down to the gaffer and no one else.Tomlin still remains arguably the most technically gifted not just in our squad but in the whole division and if he's the Tomlin of old it'll be like signing the type of player we couldn't afford.

Absolutely, that's why I don't think he will get a chance. I think once Warnock loses faith and trust in someone they are done.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Whether you think he deserves another chance or not you cant deny the fact that Tomlin is quite easily the most technically gifted player in our squad. The reason Warnock didn't play him, the season he signed for us, was because of his fitness. If his fitness isnt an issue then Warnock has the player, that he intentionally signed for a reason, available for selection - he did pay 3mill for him after all.

I hope he proves everyone wrong and has a decent season for us. A fit Tomlin gives us a completely different attacking option and on his day he can create/score goals out of nothing.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Escott1927 wrote:Whether you think he deserves another chance or not you cant deny the fact that Tomlin is quite easily the most technically gifted player in our squad. The reason Warnock didn't play him, the season he signed for us, was because of his fitness. If his fitness isnt an issue then Warnock has the player, that he intentionally signed for a reason, available for selection - he did pay 3mill for him after all.

I hope he proves everyone wrong and has a decent season for us. A fit Tomlin gives us a completely different attacking option and on his day he can create/score goals out of nothing.

and whose he going to replace in a Warnock line up? the only position I could possibly see him trusting him in is as number 10 so he leaves out Reid who he paid 12m for? he obviously wouldn't play them both.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 pm

I have to say I voted 'out' in the recent poll but I am always of the opinion that I'll back the manager and his decisions

From Lee Tomlin's comments it appears that there was no problem with his general relationship with Neil Warnock and he states the manager was actually a big help (I understand Neil Warnock has big feet with which to kick dissenting backside :laughing6: ) and we should take him at his word

As 2blue2handle says, this could be like a new signing but the Tomlin has a lot to prove; to himself, the manager his team mates and a support base who will quickly single him out, if he reverts to type

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:Whether you think he deserves another chance or not you cant deny the fact that Tomlin is quite easily the most technically gifted player in our squad. The reason Warnock didn't play him, the season he signed for us, was because of his fitness. If his fitness isnt an issue then Warnock has the player, that he intentionally signed for a reason, available for selection - he did pay 3mill for him after all.

and whose he going to replace in a Warnock line up? the only position I could possibly see him trusting him in is as number 10 so he leaves out Reid who he paid 12m for? he obviously wouldn't play them both.

So you think Reid will play 90 minutes of every game this season? No injuries, bans or subs?

The championship is a long and hard season. We will be playing 3 games in the space of 7 days quite often. Warnock will need to rotate and rest players throughout the season

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

So you think Reid will play 90 minutes of every game this season? No injuries, bans or subs?

The championship is a long and hard season. We will be playing 3 games in the space of 7 days quite often. Warnock will need to rotate and rest players throughout the season

You touched on something there that I believe was responsible for the dismal december last time we were in the championship.I certainly remember the gaffer lamenting his lack of troops because of injury,suspention and fatigue.This time around I think he's aiming to be better prepared which is why i think if Tomlin does turn it around we can expect to see him share the number 10 duties with Reid.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:17 pm

I would be amazed if LT is given another chance, more likely to find a new club and at least recoup some outlay

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

You touched on something there that I believe was responsible for the dismal december last time we were in the championship.I certainly remember the gaffer lamenting his lack of troops because of injury,suspention and fatigue.This time around I think he's aiming to be better prepared which is why i think if Tomlin does turn it around we can expect to see him share the number 10 duties with Reid.

I think it will be Reid of Patterson as the number 10.

If Tomlin isn't playing week in week out I just don't see why anyone would think he would remain interested enough to keep the weight off.

We will see, I just think other than filling a space for preseason Warnock won't trust him again.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

Have to agree with you,even though I have slated him over fitness myself,he looks like he has worked very hard to get into,what looks like his best shape for years,if his head stays on point,could prove to be like a new signing as you say,because not even the most one eyed critic can say he doesn't have the tools in his box,regards skill sets. :ayatollah: :old: :bluebird:

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:11 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I think it will be Reid of Patterson as the number 10.

If Tomlin isn't playing week in week out I just don't see why anyone would think he would remain interested enough to keep the weight off.

We will see, I just think other than filling a space for preseason Warnock won't trust him again.

You make a point but it was Warnock who signed him, rated him and had plans in which position to play him so I think he has a chance here now.
If he gets off to a flyer I can see him being heavily involved this season but as we all know it could go completely the other way!

I loved him when he first came and was excited by his skill and style, then I hated him for his laziness, attitude, etc, etc but now I feel he should be given a chance and I think Warnock will.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:01 pm

A lot of teams will come to us and park the bus. LT is the kind of player who can unlock defences with a clever pass. I’d have him in the squad. If it doesn’t work out loan him out / sell him in January.

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:27 pm

No one is going to buy Tomlin and the best we can hope for is sending him out on loan with us footing half of his estimate wages - The net cost to us of keeping him will be in the region of £750,000 max.

Unless he is a disruptive influence we would be mad not to see if we can get a season out of him. He may not give us 90 minutes but what an option he would be coming off the bench.