Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Advice taking a 7 yr old to London for a day trip

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Alright guys, just a bit of help if I may, in the Summer hols I’m taking my Daughter for a day trip to London, it’s mid week and we’re getting the coach down so we get in for around 11.00am – we’re due to be picked up at 18.00pm so have around 6.5 hrs or so – the coach drops us at Victoria station which is on Buckingham Palace Road so that’s one sight seeing done as I know she will want to see the palace as she’s learnt about it in school, I’m thinking of taking her to the natural history museum as she likes dinosaurs and stuff like that, does anybody know if that’s within walking distance of the palace and city, anybody got any other recommendations, I’m thinking of taking her to Corams Field park as well if we have time thank you.

Re: Advice taking a 7 yr old to London for a day trip

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:43 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Alright guys, just a bit of help if I may, in the Summer hols I’m taking my Daughter for a day trip to London, it’s mid week and we’re getting the coach down so we get in for around 11.00am – we’re due to be picked up at 18.00pm so have around 6.5 hrs or so – the coach drops us at Victoria station which is on Buckingham Palace Road so that’s one sight seeing done as I know she will want to see the palace as she’s learnt about it in school, I’m thinking of taking her to the natural history museum as she likes dinosaurs and stuff like that, does anybody know if that’s within walking distance of the palace and city, anybody got any other recommendations, I’m thinking of taking her to Corams Field park as well if we have time thank you.

Best advice is to Google earth distances from a 2 b 2 c ect whilst may not look far from a2b but by time get to last destination could be miles.. having done similar to what you propose ok for adult but 7yr old mmmm need plenty of stops and ice cream!

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Take the Circle Line to South Kensington from Victoria mate.. although sometimes it’s nice to walk, you see loads more. London eye is ok, or a river taxi is good fun..Tower of London may be worth a spin. Big Ben is covered in Scaffolding at the mo.

M&M store as well (for you not her)..

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm

It is walking distance, but you may as well hop on the tube. Couple of stops around the circle/district line. You'll want South Kensington for the museums. Easy to get around mate.

If you're at Buck Palace you may as well go and see downing street, trafalgar square, house of parliament, Big Ben, London Eye, etc. All very close.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks lads, really appreciate the help, I'm such a novice when it comes to these things, i'll get an oyster day card, I know it's free for my daughter as she's under 11, hopefully weather will be nice and we can have a splendid day out :mrgreen:

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:12 pm

You may just need a Zone 1-4 card.. about £13..

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:32 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Thanks lads, really appreciate the help, I'm such a novice when it comes to these things, i'll get an oyster day card, I know it's free for my daughter as she's under 11, hopefully weather will be nice and we can have a splendid day out :mrgreen:

You can just use your contactless card. No need to faff then.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Alright guys, just a bit of help if I may, in the Summer hols I’m taking my Daughter for a day trip to London, it’s mid week and we’re getting the coach down so we get in for around 11.00am – we’re due to be picked up at 18.00pm so have around 6.5 hrs or so – the coach drops us at Victoria station which is on Buckingham Palace Road so that’s one sight seeing done as I know she will want to see the palace as she’s learnt about it in school, I’m thinking of taking her to the natural history museum as she likes dinosaurs and stuff like that, does anybody know if that’s within walking distance of the palace and city, anybody got any other recommendations, I’m thinking of taking her to Corams Field park as well if we have time thank you.

Buck House is quite a long walk from Victoria Coach station despite being in BP Road, which Buckingham Palace isn't . I could tell you the route but a 7 year old wouldn't like it . Again , NH museum is possible but a very very very long walk.
The City is somewhere else altogether.

Best thing would be a black cab in two hops - not expensive or use the tube. The national coaches used to stop in Park Lane and if they still do that'd be much closer for BP.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:39 pm

SirJimmySchoular wrote:

Buck House is quite a long walk from Victoria Coach station despite being in BP Road, which Buckingham Palace isn't . I could tell you the route but a 7 year old wouldn't like it . Again , NH museum is possible but a very very very long walk.
The City is somewhere else altogether.

Best thing would be a black cab in two hops - not expensive or use the tube. The national coaches used to stop in Park Lane and if they still do that'd be much closer for BP.

Tube it is mate, she’s never been on the underground so will be an adventure for her, thank you lads appreciate it

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:46 pm

I've been thinking about this and here's a alternative suggestion from someone who lived there when kids were that age.
Exit coach station Right into Semley Place for a few yards then turn right into Ebury Street. Walk the length of Ebury Street
( shorter and more interesting than BP Rd) that'll take you to Victoria Staion quite quickly.

Now, either jump on a No 16 or 76 bus to the Mall in front of BP Gates. If you did that you can go to the Royal Gallery or the Guards Museum which are very local, or walk down Pall Mall or Picadilly to Picadilly Circus then into Trafalgare Square or Shaftsbury Ave ( plenty for kids either way). Also very handy for Hamleys.

If you didn't fancy the bus back at Victoria Station, the other good alternative would be to walk up Victoria Street with New Scotland Yard on your left and the Army and a Navy ,( which has an excellent toy dept) on your right ,then straight on to Parliament Green where you can take her into Westminster Hall and HP.

It's most important to provide plenty of ice cream along the way and I hope you have a delightful day.

Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:09 am

I used to take my kids to London every summer when they were younger.
If you are going to the History museum then the science museum is next door with lots of hands on stuff. Both are free entry.

Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:28 am

SirJimmySchoular wrote:I've been thinking about this and here's a alternative suggestion from someone who lived there when kids were that age.
Exit coach station Right into Semley Place for a few yards then turn right into Ebury Street. Walk the length of Ebury Street
( shorter and more interesting than BP Rd) that'll take you to Victoria Staion quite quickly.

Now, either jump on a No 16 or 76 bus to the Mall in front of BP Gates. If you did that you can go to the Royal Gallery or the Guards Museum which are very local, or walk down Pall Mall or Picadilly to Picadilly Circus then into Trafalgare Square or Shaftsbury Ave ( plenty for kids either way). Also very handy for Hamleys.

If you didn't fancy the bus back at Victoria Station, the other good alternative would be to walk up Victoria Street with New Scotland Yard on your left and the Army and a Navy ,( which has an excellent toy dept) on your right ,then straight on to Parliament Green where you can take her into Westminster Hall and HP.

It's most important to provide plenty of ice cream along the way and I hope you have a delightful day.

Jimmy you've been a diamond with your advice, I've written it down and will see what happens on the day, I know we'l have a great day out, thanks again my friend :bluescarf:

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:29 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Thanks lads, really appreciate the help, I'm such a novice when it comes to these things, i'll get an oyster day card, I know it's free for my daughter as she's under 11, hopefully weather will be nice and we can have a splendid day out :mrgreen:

You can just use your contactless card. No need to faff then.

This is good advice, as Oyster cards can be surprisingly expensive. By using your Contactless Debit Card, there is a limit you will be charged for your travelling in a day; even if you don't initially order a Day Ticket

From London Victoria, going to Corams Field Park in addition to other venues is probably not practical but as a single visit it is well worth the effort

From where you are being dropped off/picked up, I would suggest heading straight to Buckingham Palace and then making a choice to either go left up to Hyde Park/Regents Park where you can also access Oxford Street
Alternatively, go right at the Palace and head down The Mall either for a more historic view of Trafalgar Square, Horesguards Parade, Downing Street, Centoaph, Parliament, London Eye, etc. and/or some decent eateries around Leicester Square and Covent Garden

If you do go near The London Eye, think about looking at The Shrek Adventure; it would be great for a 7 year old (and most adults, too!)

https://www.shreksadventure.com/london/

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:22 am

A child of that age is only free on the tube with a ZIP Oyster photocard although they don't need one to be free on the bus. I don't think its that much of a walk from Vic coach station to Buck House 20 mins max and as you've been sitting down for hours you could probably do with stretching your legs. I would walk to Buck house, then up the Mall to Trafalgar Sq. down Whitehall taking in Downing st etc. Have a look at Parliament sq. Palace of Westminster Big Ben etc. Walk onto Westminster bridge to look at the river, the Eye and the south Bank but I wouldn't bother going over.

That's probably done you 3 hours and you've seen a fair bit. Get the tube or bus to South Kensington and go in the Natural History Museum for a couple of hours and by then you'll both be whacked and it'll be time to get back to Victoria for your bus home. The tube is 2.40 I think single fare ( central zone ) for both you and your child and 1.50 on the bus for you, your child is free. Cash fares are a good bit higher so use a contactless if you can.

Get yourself a picnic out of one of the supermarkets and if its fine eat in Parliament Square or if not they have places to eat a picnic in the Natural History Museum.

Corams field is a bit out of the way, perhaps leave it for next time.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:31 am

Just got back from a 2 day trip there with my 5 and 7 year old boys, loved the NH museum, but preferred the science museum next door which had loads to see and do, even though they love dinosaurs etc....Hyde park is also right by there for a nice place to have a picnic and if you want to blow some cash take them to Harrods toy dept :lol: the shops in both museums have some great toys mind. If it’s hot like it was last weekend, 93 Dec in west London then walking is a no no..... :occasion5:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:44 am

It depends on perceptions as my kids 7 & 4 love London and will walk all day. We went from Victoria up to the palace on foot then through the park towards the ritz etc. Museums are good choice always something for the kids. They loved Leicester Square too with all street performers etc