Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City chief's bid to buy Charlton Athletic

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Cardiff City chief's bid to buy Charlton Athletic 'hanging by a thread'

Thursday 4th July 2019

Bluebirds chairman Mehmet Dalman has reportedly walked away from Charlton deal and was on Cardiff business on Wednesday

Bluebirds chairman Mehmet Dalman has reportedly walked away from Charlton deal and was on Cardiff business on Wednesday

The bid by Cardiff City chairman Mehmet Dalman to buy Championship rivals Charlton in a £33miliion takeover deal is hanging by a thread, WalesOnline has been told.

Dalman and two separate groups have been in takeover talks at the Valley, but complications have reportedly led to the Cardiff chief walking away.

It is our understanding that Dalman is still interested, but the complexities involved are making the deal unlikely as things stand.

Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet has been keen to sell up for a number of years and was in advanced discussions with Dalman, who was very much the front-runner for the buyout.

However, there are believed to be concerns regarding Charlton's existing debt and also a possible issue surrounding the club's training ground, amongst other matters.

Those are said to have caused Dalman to stall and he wants to throw his energies at Cardiff for the time being to help manager Neil Warnock compile a promotion-winning squad.

Roland Duchatelet is looking to sell Charlton

Dalman has worked to get three transfers over the line - midfielder Will Vaulks, defender Curtis Nelson and goalkeeper Joe Day - and Warnock wants up to three more new signings for the 2019-20 Championship campaign.

The Evening Standard say Dalman has formally ended negotiations, reporting that Duchatelet has raised his asking price for the club to close to £50million following promotion from League One.

It is our understanding, however, the issue over the debt may be of more pressing concern for Dalman.

The Standard report that a number of former club directors would be owed a total of £7m should Charlton reach the Premier League, but they are said to want payment immediately to settle the debts as part of any takeover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City chief's bid to buy Charlton Athletic

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:55 pm

You watch,Dalman buys Charlton, gaffer get cardiff promoted and retires,Dalman talks the gaffer into one more year,gaffer get Charlton promoted. :lol:

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:50 am

I may be wrong but despite being no pauper and wealthy in his own arena, I never had the impression Mehmet Dalman had the sort of money needed to buy/run a football club?

Is he part of a consortium and/or 'fronting' for someone else? :?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 am

Sven wrote:I may be wrong but despite being no pauper and wealthy in his own arena, I never had the impression Mehmet Dalman had the sort of money needed to buy/run a football club?

To run a football club at a perennial loss an owner needs to be a billionaire at the very least. I don't know MD's personal wealth but I have also thought he was in the multi-millionaire category rather than a super rich billionaire like VT.

Of course I could be wrong but I would agree with Sven he is probably heading up a consortium.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:07 am

Sven wrote:I may be wrong but despite being no pauper and wealthy in his own arena, I never had the impression Mehmet Dalman had the sort of money needed to buy/run a football club?

Think that's exactly what it is mate.

Simon Jordan said in TS the other day that he had te opportunity to be part of it.

Apparantly they are looking to offer around £30million and the owner wants £50... That's my understanding from the 'bits' I here's on the radio.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:05 am

RV Casual wrote:

Simon Jordan said in TS the other day that he had te opportunity to be part of it.

Apparently they are looking to offer around £30million and the owner wants £50m... That's my understanding from the 'bits' I here's on the radio.

Thanks both, I missed the Simon Jordan comment but that all makes sense :thumbup:

I know that current owner Roland Duchatelet is despised at Charlton and keeps moving the goalposts, despite claiming to want to sell the club

I just looked and Simon Jordan had this to say to Jim White on talkSPORT:

“We said Duchatelet would want more money when Charlton get into the Championship, and then create the same situation he was currently in which is a limited amount of buyers.

“I know this deal, I know what’s going on with this deal – I can be part of this deal if I want to.

“But I’d be surprised if he gets anywhere near what he’s asking for; if he’s asking for £50million, I’ll be amazed if he gets it.”

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:17 am

Sven wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

Apparently they are looking to offer around £30million and the owner wants £50m... That's my understanding from the 'bits' I here's on the radio.

Thanks both, I missed the Simon Jordan comment but that all makes sense :thumbup:

I know that current owner Roland Duchatelet is despised at Charlton and keeps moving the goalposts, despite claiming to want to sell the club

I just looked and Simon Jordan had this to say to Jim White on talkSPORT:

“We said Duchatelet would want more money when Charlton get into the Championship, and then create the same situation he was currently in which is a limited amount of buyers.

“I know this deal, I know what’s going on with this deal – I can be part of this deal if I want to.

“But I’d be surprised if he gets anywhere near what he’s asking for; if he’s asking for £50million, I’ll be amazed if he gets it.”

Their owner is like Ashley keep moving posts when someone wants to buy club!

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

To run a football club at a perennial loss an owner needs to be a billionaire at the very least. I don't know MD's personal wealth but I have also thought he was in the multi-millionaire category rather than a super rich billionaire like VT.

Of course I could be wrong but I would agree with Sven he is probably heading up a consortium.

Tan is not a billionaire, he’s worth about £600 million and has invested approx £100 m in us. Perhaps he should offer Dalman more shares in Cardiff City to keep him as Chairman?