Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Is a £1bn spend on upgrading Cardiff's transport links justified?

You may select 1 option

View results

POLL: £1bn PLANS FOR AMBITIOUS CAPITAL CITY TRAVEL NETWORK

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:24 am

Plans for Cardiff’s £1bn transport network unveiled

Cardiff City Council’s ambitious plans for a £1bn travel network in the city have been revealed.

The network proposes a new ‘Cardiff Cross Rail’, a new light rail and tram system running from east to west of the city.

Speaking at a Welsh Government Conference on Active Travel, council leader Cllr Huw Thomas called for major changes to the city’s transport infrastructure.

He told delegates: “Cardiff's transport network needs to change. It was originally designed for a city with a population of 200,000, but today our population is closer to 400,000.

"It's clear to everyone that this situation is unsustainable. We have a network which is already creaking.

"We won't deliver this overnight, but we are today bringing forward the council's aspiration while fully recognising that we will have to work effectively with Welsh Government and other partners.”

The proposals aim to significantly reduce CO2 and NO2 emissions in the city, partly with a new ‘Rapid Bus Transport Network’ that runs on only green and electric vehicles.

Similar to proposals by Greater Manchester’s mayor, Andy Burnham, the document outlines the idea of an integrated ticketing system to make travelling in the city smoother for passengers.

Cabinet member for strategic planning and transport, Cllr Caro Wild, said: "Get transport right and it's a game changer. It adds real impetus to a city's economic development agenda.

“It helps tackle inequality by better connecting people with opportunity. It improves quality of life and provides a visible pointer to the city's environmental credentials.

"Get it wrong and it signals the inevitable erosion of your economic competitiveness and a slow decay in quality of life.

“We now look forward to continuing to work with Welsh Government and other partners to make this game-changing investment in the city region's transport network a reality.”

Re: OT: £1bn PLANS FOR AMBITIOUS CAPITAL CITY TRAVEL NETWORK

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:27 am

I'm sure this is much needed and will be welcomed by many but £1bn seems to be a lot of money to spend on such a project when many other arguably more important issues in both the capital and in Wales as a whole

Re: POLL: £1bn PLANS FOR AMBITIOUS CAPITAL CITY TRAVEL NETWO

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:55 am

The city will grind to a standstill, and be shrouded in a cloud of pollution, if nothing is done to get people out of their cars in the next 10 years, if not sooner.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:33 am

Gaynor Straight wrote:The city will grind to a standstill, and be shrouded in a cloud of pollution, if nothing is done to get people out of their cars in the next 10 years, if not sooner.

Especially as they will force cars to travel at 20mph within city limits!! Worlds biggest car park springs to mind?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 am

If properly planned I think this could be great for the city... but the likeliness of it being planned well is low!

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:51 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Gaynor Straight wrote:The city will grind to a standstill, and be shrouded in a cloud of pollution, if nothing is done to get people out of their cars in the next 10 years, if not sooner.

Especially as they will force cars to travel at 20mph within city limits!! Worlds biggest car park springs to mind?

You'll be lucky to reach 20 in a few years time

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:56 am

I'm surprised they never connected the Radyr line with the Coryton line 50 years ago. They needed that when Beeching was in his heyday.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am

Gaynor Straight wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

You'll be lucky to reach 20 in a few years time

Be lucky now? :laughing6:
But have no confidence in their plans as look at the disaster they made of our bus services and bus station by building two carbunkles which could have gone behind train station, and who in their right mind would put bus stops at least 1/2 mile apart and use rickshaws to move people between them and then build a bus station that you can only get off bus but not get onto bus! :banghead:

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:45 am

Coryton line did connect to Treforest, there’s a cutting and remains of an old bridge behind Asda..closed in 1953...

The slight matter of £1bn.. WAG will spend £133M on pre-planning, and pull the plug.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:16 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Coryton line did connect to Treforest, there’s a cutting and remains of an old bridge behind Asda..closed in 1953...

The slight matter of £1bn.. WAG will spend £133M on pre-planning, and pull the plug.

They haven't said if this idea is part of the already £1billion plan for metro ! It certainly isn't another £1 billion plan that's for sure. Or will they allocate more money to make it happen? But I do fear for the city with the councils obsession with stopping all traffic moving in Cardiff except bikes and busses when as I've said they've totally destroyed what was best transport hub in UK..

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:53 pm

All gets a bit boring. We are forever hearing of marvelous projects that are heading for this part of the world, but we know they will never actually happen. I expect they will carry out a feasability study costing millions before deciding it is unaffordable. By the way, how is the new racing circuit of Wales progressing?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:44 pm

What happens when you’re by a bunch of social workers and political grads Steve..

F***in incompetent fools no private money will touch.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Oops..’run by’.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:35 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:All gets a bit boring. We are forever hearing of marvelous projects that are heading for this part of the world, but we know they will never actually happen. I expect they will carry out a feasability study costing millions before deciding it is unaffordable. By the way, how is the new racing circuit of Wales progressing?

My thoughts exactly.

Will never be built.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:All gets a bit boring. We are forever hearing of marvelous projects that are heading for this part of the world, but we know they will never actually happen. I expect they will carry out a feasability study costing millions before deciding it is unaffordable. By the way, how is the new racing circuit of Wales progressing?

My thoughts exactly.

Will never be built.

Whenever things are quiet in the Council or down the Bay, I think in an attempt to justify their salaries they have a competition to see who can come out with the best hare brained scheme of the year. No guarantee that this will win, knowing our politicians they will come out with something even more far fetched than this. Possibly a rocket launch pad down Barry island or something equally stupid. Nothing is beyond their vivid imaginations.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Will never be built.

Whenever things are quiet in the Council or down the Bay, I think in an attempt to justify their salaries they have a competition to see who can come out with the best hare brained scheme of the year. No guarantee that this will win, knowing our politicians they will come out with something even more far fetched than this. Possibly a rocket launch pad down Barry island or something equally stupid. Nothing is beyond their vivid imaginations.

The metro as a good chance of coming about but as for the bigger plans why the fck was this not included in original scheme Got little chance of getting necessary private
funding.! But suppose could use m4 money thats not going to be used? Couldn't run
an orgy in proverbial... :roll: