Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Chopping a tree down - any recommendations ?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:19 am

Chopping a tree down - any recommendations ?

I have a fairly large tree that has split down the main trunk so needs to be cut to just below the split.

Can anyone recommend someone will chop it up and take it away ?

Re: Chopping a tree down - any recommendations ?

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Don’t stand where it falls

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:53 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Chopping a tree down - any recommendations ?

I have a fairly large tree that has split down the main trunk so needs to be cut to just below the split.

Can anyone recommend someone will chop it up and take it away ?

Well just take it back from the top with a chainsaw in manageable bits taking care that they don't fall on anything and you don't fall out of the tree,then cut them up for firewood which you can sell or give away if you haven't got a wood burner.
When you get to the main trunk cut a wedge out in the direction you want it to fall and then drop it.

If you can't do it yourself for any reason get a couple of travellers in , but pay them directly ,( no middle men) £30 each for the job plus they can take wood and sell it. If you do that make sure they take the crap away or burn it before they get paid and don't take any crap about extra money over what they agreed. Depends whether you're confident to deal with travellers though, and if you're not don't get involved with them.
The trouble is that if you get a firm in they'll knock you up in the air. Tell them what the job is worth to you, (£60) and tell them to take it or leave it because if they think they can they'll be quoting you a grand or more. Don't pay that !

Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:48 pm

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:Don’t stand where it falls

And mustn't forget to shout TIMBEEEEERRR. :laughing6:

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:59 pm

My son had a large willow taken down about 5 yrs ago.Got the pro's in,300 quid,no mess, no damage.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Travellers I had said they were tree fellers but only two turned up.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:04 pm

If your going to chop it use an axe.

I’ve tried karate and pork and neither worked for me.