Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Medel v Messi

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:45 am

This was a very strange sending off in the Copa America, surely that referee has to be looked into he has no reason to send Messi off.

On the plus side it's good to see Gary Medel still doing it at the highest level and bossing Messi.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... erica.html

Re: Medel v Messi

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:10 am

Come on. All this Messi love. Loads of players have seen red for things like that. Maybe he got red for the hack that led to Medel reacting like that? And yes Messi holds his hands up. But he's punching his chest out just as much.

Id have sent them both off.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:20 am

jimmy_rat wrote:Come on. All this Messi love. Loads of players have seen red for things like that. Maybe he got red for the hack that led to Medel reacting like that? And yes Messi holds his hands up. But he's punching his chest out just as much.

Hack.. you have to be kidding, surely? Messi barely touched his leg!

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:22 am

Alan_in_China wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:Come on. All this Messi love. Loads of players have seen red for things like that. Maybe he got red for the hack that led to Medel reacting like that? And yes Messi holds his hands up. But he's punching his chest out just as much.

But did the ref see it that way? End of the day he thought it was red.

Basically what people are saying is because it's Messi it wasn't a red. That's my point.

Loads of players sent off for that.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:34 am

thomasblue wrote:This was a very strange sending off in the Copa America, surely that referee has to be looked into he has no reason to send Messi off.

On the plus side it's good to see Gary Medel still doing it at the highest level and bossing Messi.

The ironic thing is that most players these days would have gone down holding their head to get Medel sent off. Messi just stands his ground and gets sent off.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:53 am

JJ1927 wrote:
thomasblue wrote:This was a very strange sending off in the Copa America, surely that referee has to be looked into he has no reason to send Messi off.

The ironic thing is that most players these days would have gone down holding their head to get Medel sent off. Messi just stands his ground and gets sent off.

Exactly!

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:08 am

The only thing it shows to me , is how small Medal is , (and he used to play CB for chile) compared to Messi !

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:44 am

Looked like 2 walruses fighting over territory! But the silly part is and it happened in other games recently is VAR did not review it so what were they doing having a tea break? :laughing6:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:48 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

Basically what people are saying is because it's Messi it wasn't a red. That's my point.

Not because it's Messi at all. Messi clipped Medel and
Medel lost it. All the aggression was from Medel. Messi stood his ground but was not aggressive. If VAR can't get that right then God help us. Also some of the handball decisions by VAR have been crazy.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:54 am

moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

Medel lost it. All the aggression was from Medel. Messi stood his ground but was not aggressive. If VAR can't get that right then God help us. Also some of the handball decisions by VAR have been crazy.

It totally is cos it's Messi. Haven't seen anything in the press mention the keeper that nailed the player for the pen Vs Senegal Who should be been sent off but the ridiculous double jeopardy rule.

As Allan says above. They both deserved it. Messi started it. Medel reacted. And I'll correct myself from earlier. They both did get sent off. I thought it was originally just Messi.

Plus apparently things had been kicking off previously. How do we know ref hadn't said something along the lines of 'next person who fucks about is off' just cos it's Messi shouldn't change that.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:04 am

Alan_in_China wrote:

They're calling it 'intent'; similar to Beckham's pedantic kick in an England shirt :thumbright:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:07 am

Sven wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

They're calling it 'intent'; similar to Beckham's pedantic kick in an England shirt :thumbright:

Which was also a red. I make my point again that the game was boiling over. Ref controlled it well.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:20 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
Sven wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

Which was also a red. I make my point again that the game was boiling over. Ref controlled it well.

Yes, mate. That was what I meant; it was a red and it was a heated game that needed to be controlled well :thumbup:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 am

Sven wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
Sven wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

Yes, mate. That was what I meant; it was a red and it was a heated game that needed to be controlled well :thumbup:

Thought so. After I wrote the reply and read it again. Ref did well! :thumbup:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 am

The other thing that was noticeable was ref immediately had red card out waiving it around he obviously got excited at thought of sending off messi? can argue about a red for messi which var should have sorted and at least given ref time to reflect on situation, medel red all day long even if didn't use hands he persisted in barging messi.. get Impression something else was going on for ref to react way he did. :thumbup:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 am

jimmy_rat wrote:
moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

It totally is cos it's Messi. Haven't seen anything in the press mention the keeper that nailed the player for the pen Vs Senegal Who should be been sent off but the ridiculous double jeopardy rule.

As Allan says above. They both deserved it. Messi started it. Medel reacted. And I'll correct myself from earlier. They both did get sent off. I thought it was originally just Messi.

Plus apparently things had been kicking off previously. How do we know ref hadn't said something along the lines of 'next person who fucks about is off' just cos it's Messi shouldn't change that.

Going to have to disagree on this. Just standing your ground is not a sending off offence. Far more admirable than to throw yourself to the ground. The kick on the back of the leg happens a hundred times a game. Booking at worst. Can't send off 2 players just to calm a game down if one doesn't deserve it :thumbup:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:42 am

moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

Going to have to disagree on this. Just standing your ground is not a sending off offence. Far more admirable than to throw yourself to the ground. The kick on the back of the leg happens a hundred times a game. Booking at worst. Can't send off 2 players just to calm a game down if one doesn't deserve it :thumbup:

Messi kicked him. Medel reacted. Can't send someone off for a reaction without punishing the original offence? Surely? That would then be massive favouritism to Messi. Ref has balls many wouldn't.

2 reds was ideal for controlling the game. We can argue Messi deserved to go off - then Argies would all go nuts. Game has not been controlled properly. Or argue that Medel goes off - Chile players get worse. Again, not controlled properly.

2 reds correct decision for me.

Just to add. Does Messi really stand his ground?! He's throwing his chest in just as much as Medel. Except he has his arms up.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:35 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:
moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

Messi kicked him. Medel reacted. Can't send someone off for a reaction without punishing the original offence? Surely? That would then be massive favouritism to Messi. Ref has balls many wouldn't.

2 reds was ideal for controlling the game. We can argue Messi deserved to go off - then Argies would all go nuts. Game has not been controlled properly. Or argue that Medel goes off - Chile players get worse. Again, not controlled properly.

Just to add. Does Messi really stand his ground?! He's throwing his chest in just as much as Medel. Except he has his arms up.

We're looking at the same thing and seeing something totally different. Your last post seems to be over thinking it a bit for me. But there you go....that's football. Not going to argue any further...will always be appreciative for the live streams that you posted...cheers.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:46 pm

moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
moonboots wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

We're looking at the same thing and seeing something totally different. Your last post seems to be over thinking it a bit for me. But there you go....that's football. Not going to argue any further...will always be appreciative for the live streams that you posted...cheers.

Not 'arguing' discussion. The beauty of football. But let's not get in to the whole Messi Vs Ronaldo who's greatest debate. Hahaha.
:thumbup:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:58 pm

Sven wrote:
jimmy_rat wrote:
Sven wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:

If they are going to give red cards for things like that then we will be watching games with 3/4 sendings offs every game.

Yellow for both would have been harsh aswell, a good referee can sort that without the need for red cards by controlling the game properly.

Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Neither deserved a card. Ref should have just said to them both to stop acting like little kids and get on with the game.