Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE CARDIFF PLAYERS WHO WONT EVEN MAKE IT

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:55 pm

THE CARDIFF PLAYERS WHO WONT EVEN MAKE IT

There are a number of Cardiff players who won't even make it this season.

By Paul Abdanatao

Sunday 7th July 2019

Gary Madine hasn't hit it off at Cardiff, but he did score goals at Bolton and helped Sheffield United go up last season. Where does he fit into Warnock's planning? Will he need to be moved on?

Jazz Richards has excelled at the highest level with Wales, but injuries and the excellent form of other defenders have curtailed his opportunities with the Bluebirds.

What about Danny Ward and Omar Bogle, each of whom have shown in glimpses what they can do?

Omar Bogle, Lee Tomlin and Gary Madine have spent time away from Cardiff City on loan but are keen to make their mark in the coming season

Then there is Loic Damour, who looked really good at times in the Championship when Cardiff previously went up.

And what if Warnock does land another winger? Portsmouth's goalscoring wide-man Jamal Lowe has been heavily linked.

If he were to arrive, where would he fit in and where would that leave Mendez-Laing, Murphy and Hoilett?

It is evident that the books will need to be balanced and some players will invariably have to be moved on, to be fair to them and in order to give them game time elsewhere.

But the way things are looking, Cardiff will have exactly the kind of strength in depth Warnock demands for a Championship campaign.

The competition for places will be intense, a huge plus for the Bluebirds.

Re: THE CARDIFF PLAYERS WHO WONT EVEN MAKE IT

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:25 pm

The players who will be playing

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208299 :bluebird:

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:09 pm

I'm wondering if Medine will be involved now. I think Demour has something to offer the squad at this level. Also think Ward is am ideal bench player.

I think Bogle will be moved on.

Personally I'd also move on Tomlin and Richards.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:59 am

Cannot believe we have Jazz a new contract, sorry for his injuries but we ain't a convalescent home.Those wages can be put to better use.
Think we stuck with Madine, maybe he will come good if given a run. Bogle needs moving on.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:12 am

2blue2handle wrote:I'm wondering if Medine will be involved now. I think Demour has something to offer the squad at this level. Also think Ward is am ideal bench player.

I'd get rid of Madine ASAP. I'd take Bogle over him. Tomlin needs to be given a chance now, he's come out and been honest with himself and finally admitted he's had his problems and looks in immense shape now.

Warnock still thinks there is a player in Zohore, but I'd personally cash-in on him now.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 am

Madine is the only target Man we have. Yes his confidence was shot. But end of the day you need to have back up plans.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:I'd get rid of Madine ASAP. I'd take Bogle over him. Tomlin needs to be given a chance now, he's come out and been honest with himself and finally admitted he's had his problems and looks in immense shape now.

Warnock still thinks there is a player in Zohore, but I'd personally cash-in on him now.

In an ideal world it would be brilliant to shift the lot of them and start with a clean slate. However, that will predictably be hard to accomplish.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:23 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:I'd get rid of Madine ASAP. I'd take Bogle over him. Tomlin needs to be given a chance now, he's come out and been honest with himself and finally admitted he's had his problems and looks in immense shape now.

In an ideal world it would be brilliant to shift the lot of them and start with a clean slate. However, that will predictably be hard to accomplish.

Yeah, I don't want a repeat of the post-Solskjaer era, paying off 4 year contracts just to get rid. At least with the current crop of players, I highly doubt they'd take the piss and not try. Warnock does his home-work on players' personality and demands hard work from everyone so I wouldn't be too gutted if we didn't shift the majority. It's still crazy that Matt Connolly is still still contracted to us mind :shock:

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:24 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I'm wondering if Medine will be involved now. I think Demour has something to offer the squad at this level. Also think Ward is am ideal bench player.

I'd get rid of Madine ASAP. I'd take Bogle over him. Tomlin needs to be given a chance now, he's come out and been honest with himself and finally admitted he's had his problems and looks in immense shape now.

I don't see many cash offers coming in for Zohore considering he didn't really do it in the prem. How much would we get 1m maybe 2m, or 3m at a push. Do you have faith in Warnock to get better for that? I don't.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:25 am

bluebird7291 wrote:Madine is the only target Man we have. Yes his confidence was shot. But end of the day you need to have back up plans.

It's a bit different with him. We're kind of on his back already so he's always going to feel miles more pressure playing for us. He needs to leave just to get that monkey off his back. He's a player that we can get an OK fee for, which can't be said for a lot of players. Warnock can turn Bogle into a target man anyway.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:30 am

2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

I don't see many cash offers coming in for Zohore considering he didn't really do it in the prem. How much would we get 1m maybe 2m, or 3m at a push. Do you have faith in Warnock to get better for that? I don't.

He's scored 10 goals in his last 59 appearances (piss poor). That's why he shouldn't command a good fee. But I think he will get a decent fee. Not sure how much, but someone will take a punt on him and wouldn't mind paying a fee.

I think there's a player out there who can do better for a decent fee. Depends where we're scouting.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:40 am

2blue2handle wrote:I don't see many cash offers coming in for Zohore considering he didn't really do it in the prem. How much would we get 1m maybe 2m, or 3m at a push. Do you have faith in Warnock to get better for that? I don't.

That is true at the moment, however if KZ goes on one of his purple patches I would expect the bids to come in.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:43 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I don't see many cash offers coming in for Zohore considering he didn't really do it in the prem. How much would we get 1m maybe 2m, or 3m at a push. Do you have faith in Warnock to get better for that? I don't.

That is true at the moment, however if KZ goes on one of his purple patches I would expect the bids to come in.

I'd rather not wait for him to decide he can be arsed in order to sell him. Just get rid now. 10 goals in last 59 appearances is no where near good enough. Ward and Bogle will score more than that with the run he's had.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:54 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:

Bogle will be gone I bet!

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:56 am

Bluebina wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Bogle will be gone I bet!

I hope not, he looks a fooking tank now. Mind you, I don't think Warnock has ever forgiven him for his red card v The Wurzels.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am

If Warnock loses faith in you then you wont last, that's why I don't think we will see much of Tomlin or Bogle.

Warnock has said himself he has struggled signing strikers, he spent 6m on Medine who imo isn't in the same bracket as Zohore. I would get rid of a lot of players before Zohore even if he is used as a squad player, he is still the best we have.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am

2blue2handle wrote:If Warnock loses faith in you then you wont last, that's why I don't think we will see much of Tomlin or Bogle.

Warnock has said himself he has struggled signing strikers, he spent 6m on Medine who imo isn't in the same bracket as Zohore. I would get rid of a lot of players before Zohore even if he is used as a squad player, he is still the best we have.

What has he done to prove to everyone he's the best we have? He's had 1 good run of form in his career with us. This was when we weren't challenging for anything so pressure was off. Like I mentioned above, since the end of Warnock's first season (when Ken had the purple patch), Zohore has scored 10 in 59.

Bobby Reid, Danny Ward and Omar Bogle would do better than that if they were given a run of games like Ken has had. Christ, I think even Rhys Healey would.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:55 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:If Warnock loses faith in you then you wont last, that's why I don't think we will see much of Tomlin or Bogle.

What has he done to prove to everyone he's the best we have? He's had 1 good run of form in his career with us. This was when we weren't challenging for anything so pressure was off. Like I mentioned above, since the end of Warnock's first season (when Ken had the purple patch), Zohore has scored 10 in 59.

Bobby Reid, Danny Ward and Omar Bogle would do better than that if they were given a run of games like Ken has had. Christ, I think even Rhys Healey would.

I thought you were being sensible until you mentioned Rhys Healy :lol:

I think the problem is more the way we play, pretty much every striker we have played has struggled to get goals, Medine, Ward, Niasse. Coincidence?

If we want a striker to get a bag load of goals we need to change the way we play which I don’t see happening under Warnock. The best we can hope is for someone to lead the line well and pitch in with some goals and imo Zohore is the best we have at what we need a forward in out set up to do.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:55 am

TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

He's scored 10 goals in his last 59 appearances (piss poor). That's why he shouldn't command a good fee. But I think he will get a decent fee. Not sure how much, but someone will take a punt on him and wouldn't mind paying a fee.

I think there's a player out there who can do better for a decent fee. Depends where we're scouting.

Better add the rest of the forwards to the list because between them they've done SFA regardless of having a chance or not ..

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

I think the problem is more the way we play, pretty much every striker we have played has struggled to get goals, Medine, Ward, Niasse. Coincidence?

If we want a striker to get a bag load of goals we need to change the way we play which I don’t see happening under Warnock. The best we can hope is for someone to lead the line well and pitch in with some goals and imo Zohore is the best we have at what we need a forward in out set up to do.

I 100% agree that the current tactics don't suit for a high-scoring striker. But if Ken ain't scoring, he's not chasing the ball either and is blowing out of his arse after 30 minutes, so I'd rather him go. At least with Ward or Reid up top they'd work hard off the ball.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

Better add the rest of the forwards to the list because between them they've done SFA regardless of having a chance or not ..

How can they do anything without being given a chance?

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:21 pm

There are some bookies offering odds of 33/1 on KZ being top goal scorer

I fancy some of that. Ok he didn’t do it in the Premier League but the Championship he will have more space and time

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

And ken had a chance? How many games in a row did he get? Not as many as our star forward who happens to be a right back namely Patterson? Ken needs more than 5 or 6 games to show his skills ! He as got the talent but nw has his doubts and that spells problems not just for Ken but ward Murphy as well, and mustn't forget our style play does not suit any of our forwards so that needs to change but doubt if it will...

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:49 pm

TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

I 100% agree that the current tactics don't suit for a high-scoring striker. But if Ken ain't scoring, he's not chasing the ball either and is blowing out of his arse after 30 minutes, so I'd rather him go. At least with Ward or Reid up top they'd work hard off the ball.

They do work hard off the ball but neither of them can keep hold of it which is the problem. I think if we could have Reid buzzing around Zohore it may work.

I guess the problem is finding a big strong striker, good in the air but runs his arse into the ground and scores goals is rare. Im not sure what the happy medium is when looking for a striker as for city its a thankless job.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

And ken had a chance? How many games in a row did he get? Not as many as our star forward who happens to be a right back namely Patterson? Ken needs more than 5 or 6 games to show his skills ! He as got the talent but nw has his doubts and that spells problems not just for Ken but ward Murphy as well, and mustn't forget our style play does not suit any of our forwards so that needs to change but doubt if it will...

Like I said, in 2 seasons he's had 59 appearances. More than enough chances to show something, but alas...nothing. He's had a bigger chance than most.

Our star forward right back has scored 14 in 59 (AND most of those games have been from the midfield!!). Ken has scored 10 in 59 as a striker only! Patto was hugely instrumental in our promotion push, so fully deserved run in the team for him.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
TAP_Sheep wrote:

They do work hard off the ball but neither of them can keep hold of it which is the problem. I think if we could have Reid buzzing around Zohore it may work.

I guess the problem is finding a big strong striker, good in the air but runs his arse into the ground and scores goals is rare. Im not sure what the happy medium is when looking for a striker as for city its a thankless job.

Bobby will be a different animal in the championship. Admittedly in the Prem he struggled at times to hold on to the ball, but he had his moments in the hardest league in the world. Perhaps Ken better suited as a power player of the bench.

I agree though that a big, strong striker with pace and good in the air is extremely hard to come by and is probably a £30m+ player if he has all of those assets.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Our centre forwards are distinctly average and in some cases, Madine, are below average.

City need a new goal scoring striker. Period. I’ve had enough of the lot we’ve got on the books.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Danny Says wrote:Our centre forwards are distinctly average and in some cases, Madine, are below average.

City need a new goal scoring striker. Period. I’ve had enough of the lot we’ve got on the books.

Yeah, I was thinking "Why do we need a new striker, we have loads?". But I'd take quality over quantity any day and we lack quality.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:52 pm

I think he should keep loic damour he was a regular last time we were in the championship with 35 appearances