Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Aston Villa - Spending

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Looks like Villa are going to give it a go this season after already spending approx 68m on 6 new players.

As with Fulham there are no guarantees of staying in the PL and a lot depending on the quality of players signed & whether they fit in with the players already there. 20m (initial fee) for Tyrone Mings seems over the top.

IF we did get promoted in the near future I would hope that we would spend a bit more then the last 2 survival attempts & bring in less players but with more quality.

Still expect Villa to be in the bottom 6 with a big chance of it being the bottom 3.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208412

Re: Aston Villa - Spending

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:44 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Looks like Villa are going to give it a go this season after already spending approx 68m on 6 new players.

As with Fulham there are no guarantees of staying in the PL and a lot depending on the quality of players signed & whether they fit in with the players already there. 20m (initial fee) for Tyrone Mings seems over the top.

IF we did get promoted in the near future I would hope that we would spend a bit more then the last 2 survival attempts & bring in less players but with more quality.

Still expect Villa to be in the bottom 6 with a big chance of it being the bottom 3.

I haven't noticed them sign anyone that would make me think they will stay up. Mings was with them last season so doesn't improve them and massively overpriced. I do like their manager though.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm

I think they will be fine and stay up. There a massive club and shouldn’t have any trouble attracting the right players.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:56 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
bridgendbluebird30 wrote:Looks like Villa are going to give it a go this season after already spending approx 68m on 6 new players.

I haven't noticed them sign anyone that would make me think they will stay up. Mings was with them last season so doesn't improve them and massively overpriced. I do like their manager though.

Appreciate that Mings was with them last season, they brought in Target from Southampton (who was on loan to Fulham whilst in the PL) but their biggest transfer is Wesley a Brazilian striker they brought in from Club Brugge for 22.5m.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:59 pm

bridgendbluebird30 wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Appreciate that Mings was with them last season, they brought in Target from Southampton (who was on loan to Fulham whilst in the PL) but their biggest transfer is Wesley a Brazilian striker they brought in from Club Brugge for 22.5m.

It will be interesting, I think they need a bit more proven quality to stay up but I read he is after another 3 players.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:03 pm

Could go either way really. They could either be like Wolves or Fulham who both spent big last season with very different results. The benefit for Villa compared to Fulham will be that they've signed a lot of their players early and not brought 6-7 players in on deadline day and effectively ousted the current players. I think they'll finish mid table as my money is still on Newcastle, Brighton, and Sheffield Utd to get relegated.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Hope they come crashing back down.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:08 pm

When we went up under Malky we spent quite a bit relatively speaking. This on top of a lot of money spent to go up from the championship.

Problem was it was mostly spent badly.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:59 pm

maccydee wrote:

When we went up under Malky we spent quite a bit relatively speaking. This on top of a lot of money spent to go up from the championship.

Problem was it was mostly spent badly.

At the time I'm sure it was a record for a club after promotion.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:56 pm

That's not bad for six players should give them fighting chance to stay up.. Fulham spent most of 100m on players already had on loan so didn't actually improve greatly the side from championship....

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

That's not bad for six players should give them fighting chance to stay up.. Fulham spent most of 100m on players already had on loan so didn't actually improve greatly the side from championship....

I hope they are the next Fulham. Breaking every financial rule and then chucking cash at survival. Will enjoy seeing them fail. Only issue is they have a great manager.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

I don't think they will do a Wolves but I think Dean Smith's Villans will have a decent Season

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I don't think they will do a Wolves but I think Dean Smith's Villans will have a decent Season

No they wont but Smith is good manager and savvy enough to keep them up. :thumbright:

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

No they wont but Smith is good manager and savvy enough to keep them up. :thumbright:

We had a thread on here last season when rumours of Warnock quiting was about and I said he was my choice, a clever man. Signings seem to have pattern.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:49 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

We had a thread on here last season when rumours of Warnock quiting was about and I said he was my choice, a clever man. Signings seem to have pattern.

He did well to get them up considering where they were when he took over! Most managers have a formula that they use some do it better than others and some adapt their style? Nw as a formula but doesnt particularly adapt as we've seen in games . :old:

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:13 am

Aston villa going down the fulham route
Spend a £100 million and get relegated haha

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:30 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Staying up is a decent season and what I meant; I'd have taken it last season! :thumbup: :laughing6:

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:28 am

Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Staying up is a decent season and what I meant; I'd have taken it last season! :thumbup: :laughing6:

Fulham dont learn they've sighned on loan guy from wolves with an option to sign permanently? This is exactly what they did last season brought in loan players and sighned them so not improving squad overall for premier league. :old:

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:57 pm

ASTON VILLA SPENDING BIG

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208412