Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

EXCLUSIVE: CITY IN CHASE FOR BORO STRIKER

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:48 am

This would make more sense than some of the other strikers we are linked with, price quoted is 15m which is probably par for the course with his scoring record.

Celtic also linked, makes sense as well as NW stated nothing would happen until he returns from the USA.

Assambalonga has been away with the Nations cup

Re: EXCLUSIVE: CITY IN CHASE FOR BORO STRIKER

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:51 am

I'm sure we were linked with him late in the Jan window just gone (after everything that went on).

Wouldn't be a bad signing at all, great for the championship. Id be happy with this :bluescarf:

Especially on the report from the Larkhall game on Madine. "Pretty ineffective" was used to describe his performance. I don't know why some people say he will come good cause imo he wont.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:56 am

Madine needs to move and quickly , never settled and quite obvious he does not fit in.
We will probably have to take a hit on the transfer fee, but was always going to be a gamble.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:57 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:I'm sure we were linked with him late in the Jan window just gone (after everything that went on).

Wouldn't be a bad signing at all, great for the championship. Id be happy with this :bluescarf:

Especially on the report from the Larkhall game on Madine. "Pretty ineffective" was used to describe his performance. I don't know why some people say he will come good cause imo he wont.

This does sound realistic as Boro are sticking rigourously to FFP.

EXCLUSIVE: CITY IN CHASE FOR BORO STRIKER

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:04 am

EXCLUSIVE: Cardiff City and Bristol City battle Celtic to sign Middlesbrough striker Britt Assombalonga this summer
By Pete O’Rourke: Football Insider

The 26-year-old’s future is up in the air as Boro struggle to stem losses after spending big in previous windows without being able to secure promotion back to the Premier League.

A Celtic source has told Football Insider that Assombalonga is firmly in their sights but they have learned they are battling with Championship promotion hopefuls Cardiff and City to get him before next month’s transfer deadline.

This comes after Football Insider revealed earlier this week that Celtic are plotting a raid on Middlesbrough for the prolific forward.

Hoops manager Neil Lennon has made a new striker one of his top priorities this summer as he looks to add more goal potential to his team and take the strain off last season’s top scorer Odsonne Edouard.

Assombalonga has been in action for DR Congo at the Africa Cup of Nations and Boro boss Jonathan Woodgate has revealed he will not return to pre-season training until the end of next week.

The forward has an outstanding scoring record in English football, netting 115 times in 278 matches for Boro, Nottingham Forest, Peterborough United and Southend United.

He has finished as Boro’s top scorer in each of his two seasons at the club following his £15million move from Nottingham Forest in the summer of 2017.

Assombalonga scored 16 goals in 46 matches for Boro last campaign, netted 30 times in 69 Forest matches and was even more prolific for Posh in League One, scoring 33 times in 58 appearances
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:04 am

Now, if this is anywhere near doable, I would be very excited :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:13 am

Sven wrote:Now, if this is anywhere near doable, I would be very excited :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Totally agree Sven, a proven striker will cost a fortune but if we can get him and a box to box midfielder that would be a very, very powerful squad

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:21 am

Cannot see Boro who will be pushing for promotion selling a top striker, would be a class signing of intent as he is hands down a deadly threat in front of goal

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 am

We were in for him in January

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:46 am

Would be a great signing

4231 formation

Assombalonga up front

Murphy, Reid and Mendez behind

That would walk through every defence in the league

Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:49 am

Nw as said wants 3 players but if get the 2 hes after he'll be happy? Get him and not only one happy..... :occasion5:

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:01 pm

thomasblue wrote:Would be a great signing

4231 formation

Assombalonga up front

That front 4 would demolish defences

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

4231 formation

Assombalonga up front

And add bums to seats, too! :thumbup:

Note: On reflection, I don't mean that in a detrimental way; not that we don't already have some bums on some seats! :laughing6:

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Cannot see Boro who will be pushing for promotion selling a top striker, would be a class signing of intent as he is hands down a deadly threat in front of goal

Boro have to sell players to meet FFP rules

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:31 pm

fred keenor wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:Cannot see Boro who will be pushing for promotion selling a top striker, would be a class signing of intent as he is hands down a deadly threat in front of goal

Boro have to sell players to meet FFP rules

Yes it's simply a case of where and how much :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:36 pm

This would be a signing of intent.
The striker we have been missing for years.
Let's hope it's true.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:50 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

4231 formation

Assombalonga up front

Absolutely! Pace, movement and strength.. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Now this would be the sort of signing that would make a difference, not your Austins and Murray.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Now this would be the sort of signing that would make a difference, not your Austins and Murray.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This with knobs on^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:37 pm

This, as others have said, would be an immense signing.

The trouble is we tend not to hear about actual signings until virtually done nowadays so I’m guessing this won’t happen.

I seriously hope I’m wrong though!!!!

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Please be true. This would bring serious quality to the team and excitement to the club. This and a marquee CM signing and we'd be looking real strong

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Now this would be the sort of signing that would make a difference, not your Austins and Murray.

Agreed. This lad has been prolific in this league for years and at 26 is in the prime of his career and is completely lethal in front of goal. I don't see many championship teams being able to contain a front line of Mendez-Laing, Bobby Reid, Josh Murphy and Britt Assombalonga.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Get him and They can have Madine!

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:05 pm

Would be great but how much truth is in this and how much shitty rumour?
Football Insider? What’s that?

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Would be great but how much truth is in this and how much shitty rumour?

It’s been reported by Pete O’Rourke who works with Sky sports. Very reliable and was the first to say we were interested in Vaulks.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Tomshort1927 wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Would be great but how much truth is in this and how much shitty rumour?

It’s been reported by Pete O’Rourke who works with Sky sports. Very reliable and was the first to say we were interested in Vaulks.

:thumbup:

Cheers. I’m not saying this is not true but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of substance in it.
We’ll see but let’s hope so but I’m not convinced.

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:24 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Tomshort1927 wrote:

:thumbup:

Cheers. I’m not saying this is not true but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of substance in it.
We’ll see but let’s hope so but I’m not convinced.

In all fairness I don’t think it will happen either, a lot of the times rumours come out after an enquiry has been made and we could’ve walked away days/weeks ago

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Now this is the signing we need. Really hope its true and we can sign him. Deadly frontline if it happens :bluebird:

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 pm

More paper talk ( IMO ) .