Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Are fans losing faith in Neil Warnock ?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:25 am

Welsh Exile wrote:There seems to be a lot of unhappy posts regarding this and the last few transfer windows, with various NW quotes being mentioned about reasons for not buying any marquee signings.

Are fans seeing through the NW spin ?
Is the ambition of the fans bigger than that of NW and the club ?
Is NW being realistic or is his ego getting in the way ?
Has Tan really opened up the budget or is NW as a paid employee spinning things away from his employers ?

We all appreciate the things that NW has done for this club and they are never to be underestimated however, by openly saying about retiring at the end of the season and even worse by Xmas if not challenging, are fans already looking to the future as to what happens next ?

Surely as a Championship club that has been promoted twice in 6 years to the premier league, with a huge and loyal fan base, situated in a capitol city, the club can be at least spun into an attractive club for players to join ?

Or is it simply as someone mentioned in another post, player power nowadays means that we are not attractive to big time Charlie’s or wannabes due to the wage restraints (why upset the apple cart) or the fact that we have a decronian manager that calls all the shots and no one else to run to when the going gets tough ?

Either way are fans losing faith in NW and the ability of him and the club to attract decent signings ? I for one hope not.

Nah just a little bit of frustration from some and quite a few bellends that would moan at anything :thumbup:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:33 am

Bonner wrote:No not at all
Some of our fans need a reality check, thing is a lot only started supporting last 10/15 years.. which are the good times...
I think a majority of our fans are pathetic

Started following City under Eddie May, I enjoyed watching his teams PLAY football, as I did with Jones and to some extent Cork, Burrows and Lawrence. Much more than the current set up. The style is unnecessarily frustrating.

Questions

Loyalty aside, Do you enjoy watching Neils 'brand' of football? Are you entertained? Or is it not about that for you?

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 am

tangledupinblue wrote:
Some of our fans need a reality check, thing is a lot only started supporting last 10/15 years.. which are the good times...

Started following City under Eddie May, I enjoyed watching his teams PLAY football, as I did with Jones and to some extent Cork, Burrows and Lawrence. Much more than the current set up. The style is unnecessarily frustrating.

Questions

Loyalty aside, Do you enjoy watching Neils 'brand' of football? Are you entertained? Or is it not about that for you?

Not about the quality any more, started supporting city when Schoular was manager..
Think Warnock one of the best managers since.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:40 am

When you look at the forwards he’s signed- Ward, Madine, Bogle, Reid and Niasse (loan) then it does make you question the manager. A lot will rest on Glatzel but he hasn’t got much to do to improve on that inept bunch.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:43 am

Bonner wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:

Questions

Not about the quality any more, started supporting city when Schoular was manager..

I actually prefer the football we play now to that of the teams of Malky, Slade, Trollope, etc.

It's not pretty football but it is exciting because the ball is played quickly into the box.

The Dave Jones era was probably the best in terms of quality and excitement, the trouble was it almost ineveitably ended up in disappointment when it came to the nitty gritty of promotion.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:44 am

Of course they are because they are fed a diet of this is how you play the game, the premier league is the best in the world, England are unlucky every tournament and on and on.

Warnock has his own moneyball approach to the game.

You start a game with a point, if you have a solid defence you keep that point and maybe nick two others.
You get three points by scoring at least one more goal than the opposition, so shots on target are important.

Possession isn't that important especially in you own third, a bit more in the middle third, but important in the last third. So get the ball there.

We are a middle sized championship club, we can't out spend everyone. Half of you stop going when we have two or three shit results, so what chairman is going to speculate to accumulate, at least you can with Villa, Leeds and Sheffield because you know the fan base stays with you.

As much as i would like a midfield general, we are not getting one. If he had the technical ability of Whitts and the strength and guts of Gunnar we'd still bypass the midfield to get it to a speedster up top.

Football appears to be changing so smaller faster players, but they are so much more in demand they cost more and during our last promotion season (the one where Neil did it on F.A.) we simply out powered the best footballing team (Brentford) because strength still does matter in the mens game.

The Jacks will play better stuff than us but IMO we'll be at least 6 places higher than them in the league. Losing with style AKA the Dave Jones era was more gutting because its the hope that kills you. Playing practical football has gained us two promotions to the premier league since.

I am a realist not a romantic. I also believe I am in the vast majority as our skilled players who appear to lack the "desire" and grit of triers but sometimes play sublime out of this world stuff are always open to abuse from our fan base.

Warnock is doing what he does, he has a model, it adapts with time, but it works........ So no I am not losing faith

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:49 am

Bonner wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:

Questions

I would rather watch our team have a go with flair and fluid football, and maybe miss out on promotion. Rather than play hoofball and get promotion. I want at least to be entertained. Setting your football clubs stall out a fluid attacking footballing philosophy, and select managers whose track record and style will match that. Malky, Slade, Trollope and now Neil, its predictable and not great to watch, low possession and passes, players not taking on defenders, not shooting, not whipping in crosses, lack of full backs overlapping. And now comes Isaac Vassell, fitness issues and 1 goal.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:25 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:
Questions

To me NW sides play real football. No f**king around get the ball forward and if you lose it get stuck in. It's like the 1970's allover again :occasion5:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:28 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:
I would rather watch our team have a go with flair and fluid football, and maybe miss out on promotion. Rather than play hoofball and get promotion. I want at least to be entertained. Setting your football clubs stall out a fluid attacking footballing philosophy, and select managers whose track record and style will match that. Malky, Slade, Trollope and now Neil, its predictable and not great to watch, low possession and passes, players not taking on defenders, not shooting, not whipping in crosses, lack of full backs overlapping. And now comes Isaac Vassell, fitness issues and 1 goal.

That's your preference others like myself have different views on what 'entertainment' entails :D

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:

That's your preference others like myself have different views on what 'entertainment' entails :D

Me too. I would would rather promotion than play tippy tap football and stay in the Championship. If I wanted that sort of football while staying in this division, I would travel 30 miles west and watch our neighbours down there. I also disagree with his earlier post hinting that we were promoted last time because it was a strange Championship. We were promoted on merit, because we consistently out performed all but one of our rivals over 46 games.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:52 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:
Bonner wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:

Questions

Really :? :roll:

I always thought the main aim of football was to win :? So you're actually saying that you enjoyed the play-off final season more than the promotion seasons :shock:

We play direct football with fast direct wingers and now, hopefully, a centre forward capable of getting on the end of those crosses.

It's not hoofball it's direct football using widemen to spread the play.

Even when the Jacks had a decent team I found that football tedious for the same reasons as a I found watching Liverpool more exciting than Man City last season. Just because you have 70% possession doesn't make it exciting/attractive in my eyes.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:00 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:

Me too. I would would rather promotion than play tippy tap football and stay in the Championship. If I wanted that sort of football while staying in this division, I would travel 30 miles west and watch our neighbours down there. I also disagree with his earlier post hinting that we were promoted last time because it was a strange Championship. We were promoted on merit, because we consistently out performed all but one of our rivals over 46 games.

I agree the promotion season 2017-18 was better than the 2012-13 promotion season. Putting aside 12/13 we played in red whilst 17/18 we played in blue, the latter season was against the odds and relied on brilliant teamwork and togetherness. That last home game vs Reading was one of the strangest games I have ever been to, but at the final whilst we made it by holding our nerve whilst Fulham fell apart.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:04 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:Long time poster, who views rather than posts these days. But this topic is something I had to contribute to.

I like Neil, he's not everyones cup of tea, he is clearly a very good motivator, a good manager in a scrappy game, fantastic with the press and the fans, geeing us up with his fist pumps etc. But it ends there for me.

Theres much more qualities than that needed in the modern game to be a success on the pitch and off it. Promotion came in a strange year for the championship, a lot of the fancied sides struggled and were clearly embarking on new projects and were in transition. It was a scrappy league hence why Neil did so well. However the entertainment value and quality of football was not great and never has been for me. Slow defence, long balls going over the top of the midfield, who regularly get out bossed in the stats. Never got in a regularly consistent striker. You fly or fall based on your signings. I could go on, weird substitutions, negative team selection and tactics.

I shout to the rooftops for my team no matter whose in charge, but I haven't lost faith in Neil, I never had it to begin with.

Keeping us up until the end of his first season should have been the agreement and thats it. Then a change, I have not enjoyed or been excited by my football down the City since Dave Jones worked with Bellamy, Ramsey, Koumas, Bothroyd, Chopra, Burke, McCormack etc etc. Neil wouldn't have signed those players.

I hoped last season would have been his last, and a fresh start was upon us, with a set philosophy for fluid attacking football, with good passing and pace. Easier said than done maybe, but Thats what makes modern football so great and addictive.

Neils footballing philosophy is a million miles away from that, and I believe a change last Christmas could well have seen a new man take us in a new direction tactically and have kept us up.

I like Neil, I cheer him and the boys on every week. But his football has never been for me. I see nothing different this season unless we get an amazing last two days of the window which is unlikely, as the window to date has been uninspiring filler signings. I fear for the season ahead, but always hope, always keep the faith :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Probably the most summed up post about what we are what we should have done and what the future should hold

Exactly the same views I have :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:11 pm

I’m confused as to why Gary Madine was purchased at relatively great expense and not given a run of games to establish himself. It appears Warnock has judged him solely on training sessions and our fans on limited and sporadic appearances. Then again, if rumours of Madine wanting out to be near family are true, maybe the problem is the player. I suppose we won’t find out until one or both have departed the club.

I’ve read on this forum recently how he’s spent about £30 on Madine, Tomlin, J Murphy and Reid and none have massively impacted the first team. I’ve also read how Flint would have been an ideal replacement for Morrison as opposed to the much quicker Manga, and I have to agree on both accounts. Hopefully I’m wrong and the lack of pace in the defence can be addressed via a deeper defensive line and a new DM signing, proven at Championship level.

Warnock gets more right than he does wrong in all fairness, and irrespective of results and performances will get my full vocal backing whilst employed in the capacity of manager of Cardiff City Football Club. :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:17 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:
Questions

To me NW sides play real football. No f**king around get the ball forward and if you lose it get stuck in. It's like the 1970's allover again :occasion5:

Not sure you could call games we play in dull that's for sure regardless of how you interprete our style ? Its direct and prefer that to watching paint dry which seems to be the norm now! How the fck can you score when ball never goes in pen area you watch teams who play tip tap footy and added time is say 5mins be lucky to see ball in area once despite losing? Penalty area action is what fans like more than passing in on area..

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:05 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:
Questions

Not sure you could call games we play in dull that's for sure regardless of how you interprete our style ? Its direct and prefer that to watching paint dry which seems to be the norm now! How the fck can you score when ball never goes in pen area you watch teams who play tip tap footy and added time is say 5mins be lucky to see ball in area once despite losing? Penalty area action is what fans like more than passing in on area..

What is the point of making 20 passes Swansea style,to end up back exactly where you started. One defence splitting pass through or over a crowded midfield is all it takes to score. Like you say, unless you can get the ball into the opposition area, you are unlikely to score.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Interesting but I've found it's those who have been supporting the club longest who are the most critical rather than younger people.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:06 pm

not a great fan of tippy tippy football either, but i would rather see my team WITH the ball than the opposition, or it sailing over the midfield at a target man to battle with the centre half. I would prefer a a playing style with More attempts at working the keeper and , players with the desire and confidence to take an opponent on. There are other teams in our league who like to play in this vein, and therefore target and sign players to suit that brand, players who have pace and are confident passers including defenders. As I say, I like Neil a lot, he was outstanding with the handling of the Sala tragedy, and am very grateful for his big efforts. As long as he is City manager i will cheer him and the team on, we have had far far worse, It’s just his brand of football isn’t for me.

And yes i preferred the players, mindset and style of the play off final year, compared to our 2 promotion winning years, just not the outcome. I would almost rather be a consistent force in a very competitive championship with a fluid brand of football , and hopefully and eventually gain promotion and have a go in the EPL playing that way, rather than be a yo-yo club battling and scrapping against premier league relegation from the first game playing this current style.

Good debate though

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:40 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:not a great fan of tippy tippy football either, but i would rather see my team WITH the ball than the opposition, or it sailing over the midfield at a target man to battle with the centre half. I would prefer a a playing style with More attempts at working the keeper and , players with the desire and confidence to take an opponent on. There are other teams in our league who like to play in this vein, and therefore target and sign players to suit that brand, players who have pace and are confident passers including defenders. As I say, I like Neil a lot, he was outstanding with the handling of the Sala tragedy, and am very grateful for his big efforts. As long as he is City manager i will cheer him and the team on, we have had far far worse, It’s just his brand of football isn’t for me.

And yes i preferred the players, mindset and style of the play off final year, compared to our 2 promotion winning years, just not the outcome. I would almost rather be a consistent force in a very competitive championship with a fluid brand of football , and hopefully and eventually gain promotion and have a go in the EPL playing that way, rather than be a yo-yo club battling and scrapping against premier league relegation from the first game playing this current style.

Good debate though

Can see your side of the debate, and not that my opinion counts for anything, I agree with a lot of what you say. Two sides to everything though, and in a way, a lot of what you describe above are Leeds Utd all over. However, while their play is exciting, and they have some very good players, it is still a long time since they experienced the PL. Perhaps this year they will finally get there, they are certainly a very big club. We got there playing a completely different style to Leeds, we will be complete opposites again this season.. Who knows which one of us will succeed, maybe both or perhaps we will meet each other again in the Championship for a few more seasons yet.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:40 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
tangledupinblue wrote:
Questions

What is the point of making 20 passes Swansea style,to end up back exactly where you started. One defence splitting pass through or over a crowded midfield is all it takes to score. Like you say, unless you can get the ball into the opposition area, you are unlikely to score.

People saying Wigan ran through us all game was a bit exaggerated both sides used long ball over the top down the wings to try and break quicker, they targeted peltier as they perseved him as a weakness.. and if we had bit luck and better finishing this tactic would played handsomely for us but it worked better for them due to bad defending... losing was not from the style football! :old:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Not Warnock if he had the resources from the owner, he’s the best manager in the Championship. I think the fans don’t want to be duped by Tan anymore.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:00 pm

tangledupinblue wrote:

Questions

I go out of loyalty for the club, not Warnock’s boring football.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Clubfortyfourer wrote:Not Warnock if he had the resources from the owner, he’s the best manager in the Championship. I think the fans don’t want to be duped by Tan anymore.

Mmmmm you obviously havent been around the past 3 yrs as NW as had rescouces but either hasn't used it or badly used it ? He does better with peanuts to spend with likes bamba hoilette for nothing coming in! :thumbup:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Fans will do if rumours of Reid going are true? :banghead:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Fans will do if rumours of Reid going are true? :banghead:

Spot on Allan if this happens,and i would say the board at the Club also .

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:34 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Fans will do if rumours of Reid going are true? :banghead:

Spot on Allan if this happens,and i would say the board at the Club also .

Can go with swapping players around by selling and buying to refresh squad that works well if you dont weaken first 11 ? But lose Reid is a step to far as he is precisely what we need and we certainly wont replace him.. :old:

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Will be the case for me if we let Reid go

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Let's just see what happens at 5pm tomorrow, I don't know why but the feel of the squad currently doesn't feel close knit as the past couple of seasons, I think if we don't get get 9 point's by the end of August I feel like he will lose the dressing room, just something doesn't feel right.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:02 pm

If the Reid rumours are true then yes.

We’ve got rid of all our best players and signed players that just aren’t as good.

Not just Warnocks fault but the club as a whole.

It’s a big 24 hours coming up make or brake.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Im losing faith in some of our so called fans. ONE game lost and they turn on a man that has worked miracles . Just shocking