Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

NEIL WARNOCK: I DIDN'T EXPECT TO SIGN DEBUT HERO

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 pm

‘I didn’t expect...’ Manager reveals Birmingham City transfer surprise
By Shane Ireland

Neil Warnock has admitted he was surprised Birmingham City were willing to part with Isaac Vassell – as the striker enjoyed a perfect debut for Cardiff City.

Vassell, who scored once in an injury-plagued Blues career, came off the bench to hand Cardiff all three points against Luton Town with a 95-minute winner on Saturday.

That came just two days after he linked up with his new side – penning a three-year contract with the Bluebirds on deadline day.

Warnock wasn’t sure his swoop for Vassell would come to fruition, but he had no hesitation about targeting him after a chat with one of the forward’s former St Andrew’s teammates.

"I didn’t think he would be available because he has had a good pre-season," Warnock told WalesOnline. "I spoke to Campy (Lee Camp), who is at Birmingham, and he said he was right up my street. He is fully fit and raring to go.

“It was a good opportunity for us to get him at a good price because they were signing a lot of players from abroad."

Blues let Vassell leave after bringing in Alvaro Gimenez from Almeria earlier in the week, with the Spaniard providing competition for Lukas Jutkiewicz.

"You can't wish for a better start," Warnock added. "I don't know how long he was on the pitch for. But he's got so many strings to his bow that it was a no-brainer really (to sign him).

"They want to bring in a lot of continental players at Birmingham and I thought that was a great opportunity for us.

"His injury probably put people off (signing him), but I'm delighted. A lovely lad as well. So it couldn't have worked out better. He will have a fantastic weekend. He's had so much bad luck over the last 18 months, he deserves a weekend like this."
Attachments
Isaac Vassell.jpg
Isaac Vassell.jpg (7.23 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
Post a reply