Telling Vincent Tan & Sam Hammam What the BLUE really meant

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Telling Vincent Tan & Sam Hammam What the BLUE really me

Postby RV Casual » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:08 pm

Sven wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I always think people make mistakes but it's how you react to them that's shows what kind of person they are. I think that's where Sam let himself down and Tan showed his worth.

Although both have been huge for the club, Sam started it all and Tan had the money to continue it.

Sam started it and tried to finish it for good!
He should get no recognition for his contribution, Vincent Tan is the Person along with his team who have made Cardiff what they are today not Sam Hamman.
If Sam had succeeded this club would be gone now

Sam certainly started it but I'm not sure Sam tried to finish it as well! :roll:

What he did do was rejuvenate a club and its fanbase that was slowly ebbing away. He united the club, the team, the supporters, large parts of the wider community and also many in the political arena

As a long-standing supporter, I can tell you Sam provided some of the best supporter memories at the club (Leeds Utd in the FA Cup amongst them) and he had a charisma that carried him along for some time

That he fell short in the end was not all his doing (there are those who know the real story) but his fall was certainly without grace

Overall, I view Sam's time here with mixed emotions; one one side he was the charismatic and able owner we had yearned for so many years, whilst on the other he didn't know when his time was up (something of a trait of many of his ilk)

One thing is for certain; I honestly believe this club would not be where it is today had he not arrived back in the day and for that reason alone I will view Sam with more fondness than sadness :thumbright:

Well said mate.
RV Casual

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby RV Casual » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I always think people make mistakes but it's how you react to them that's shows what kind of person they are. I think that's where Sam let himself down and Tan showed his worth.

Although both have been huge for the club, Sam started it all and Tan had the money to continue it.

He should get no recognition for his contribution, Vincent Tan is the Person along with his team who have made Cardiff what they are today not Sam Hamman.

Sam certainly started it but I'm not sure Sam tried to finish it as well! :roll:

What he did do was rejuvenate a club and its fanbase that was slowly ebbing away. He united the club, the team, the supporters, large parts of the wider community and also many in the political arena

As a long-standing supporter, I can tell you Sam provided some of the best supporter memories at the club (Leeds Utd in the FA Cup amongst them) and he had a charisma that carried him along for some time

That he fell short in the end was not all his doing (there are those who know the real story) but his fall was certainly without grace

Overall, I view Sam's time here with mixed emotions; one one side he was the charismatic and able owner we had yearned for so many years, whilst on the other he didn't know when his time was up (something of a trait of many of his ilk)

One thing is for certain; I honestly believe this club would not be where it is today had he not arrived back in the day and for that reason alone I will view Sam with more fondness than sadness :thumbright:

Well said Chris :thumbright: :bluescarf:

I can say this I know both very well.

Sam 100% would not of put our club under.

Also Sam, took Cardiff City over when we were Div4, NO one else would touch us.
Our Support was 4,000 at home then and sometimes 50 away.
Many fans now who slate either were not there in them days, so NO I don’t respect their opinions as they really don’t know how bad the old days were and crowds were 1,400 at home and even as low as 11away.

No one wanted us in them days.

On the field from the day Sam took over, Fans have never had it so good, a Fact :thumbright: :bluebird:

SAM HAMMAM STARTED THE DREAM/ADVENTURE & EVEN THOUGH I CANT FORGIVE TAN FOR THE REBRAND/ I ACKNOWLEDGE TAN HAS NOW CONTINUED THE DREAM :thumbright: :bluebird:

Agree mate, the Club was in a terrible state before Sam came in, we should never forget what he did for us good and bad
RV Casual

Postby maccydee » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Many fans now who slate either were not there in them days, so NO I don’t respect their opinions as they really don’t know how bad the old days were and crowds were 1,400 at home and even as low as 11away.

On the field from the day Sam took over, Fans have never had it so good, a Fact :thumbright: :bluebird:

SAM HAMMAM STARTED THE DREAM/ADVENTURE & EVEN THOUGH I CANT FORGIVE TAN FOR THE REBRAND/ I ACKNOWLEDGE TAN HAS NOW CONTINUED THE DREAM :thumbright: :bluebird:

Agree mate, the Club was in a terrible state before Sam came in, we should never forget what he did for us good and bad

Without Sam we not be anywhere near where we are now or where we have been.

Every bit of success we have had and the great times we have seen can be traced back to Sam buying us all those years ago. He started the bandwagon rolling and gave us hope. Buying players again and the amount we were spending was amazing for us. He gave us belief in part due to his huge personality.

It was his plans for the stadium and he put us in a position where it was realistic. I think he was marginalised by people who wanted all the money for themselves. Then, as he was cornered he came out fighting.

Without Sam I firmly believe we would still be knocking about in the lower leagues. I’ll never criticise him.
maccydee

Postby Llan_Blue » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:37 pm

If your all really honest with yourselves you’d realise they both only bought into us for there own financial gain.

Neither of them are saviours hence why we’ve been in debt to both for millions of pounds.

They didn’t wake up one morning look at the South Wales echo and go Christ I need to save that club no need to thank them there not doing it for us.
Llan_Blue

Postby thomasblue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:52 am

Llan_Blue wrote:If your all really honest with yourselves you’d realise they both only bought into us for there own financial gain.

Neither of them are saviours hence why we’ve been in debt to both for millions of pounds.

They didn’t wake up one morning look at the South Wales echo and go Christ I need to save that club no need to thank them there not doing it for us.

Of course they are both in it for the money, but to say this success is down to Sam in any way is laughable. Just because he put some money in 20 years ago , which by the way he never really gave to us as he loaned it to us at a massive interest rate putting us in the shit financially for another 15 years and dragging the club through court continuously.

Vincent Tan saved this club from a total shutdown due to poor financial management of the Sam Hamman and Ridsdale era. Yes he loaned money but the difference is he is writing off the interest and converting into shares unlike Sam who took all the interest even when the club was on its knees.

If we want to go back in history and give credit let's go back even further and thank Rick Wright and Tony Clemo who technically did the same thing, going on the way this works surely one of them started it not Sam ?
thomasblue

Postby maccydee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am

thomasblue wrote:
Llan_Blue wrote:If your all really honest with yourselves you’d realise they both only bought into us for there own financial gain.

Of course they are both in it for the money, but to say this success is down to Sam in any way is laughable. Just because he put some money in 20 years ago , which by the way he never really gave to us as he loaned it to us at a massive interest rate putting us in the shit financially for another 15 years and dragging the club through court continuously.

Vincent Tan saved this club from a total shutdown due to poor financial management of the Sam Hamman and Ridsdale era. Yes he loaned money but the difference is he is writing off the interest and converting into shares unlike Sam who took all the interest even when the club was on its knees.

If we want to go back in history and give credit let's go back even further and thank Rick Wright and Tony Clemo who technically did the same thing, going on the way this works surely one of them started it not Sam ?

No way on that I’m calling it. Rick Wright could have done but after gaining the momentum of a promotion season he pulled back. Clemo did nothing of any note.

If it was so easy for anyone to do why didn’t they and not Sam? The fact is no one did but he did and he needed some money to start it.
maccydee

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 am

maccydee wrote:

Every bit of success we have had and the great times we have seen can be traced back to Sam buying us all those years ago. He started the bandwagon rolling and gave us hope. Buying players again and the amount we were spending was amazing for us. He gave us belief in part due to his huge personality.

It was his plans for the stadium and he put us in a position where it was realistic. I think he was marginalised by people who wanted all the money for themselves. Then, as he was cornered he came out fighting.

Without Sam I firmly believe we would still be knocking about in the lower leagues. I’ll never criticise him.

Spot on Maccydee :thumbup: It was Sam who got us from the old Division 4 into what is now the Championship in 2003. Would VT have given us a second look if we were in the old Division 4 and still playing at Ninian Park?

Sam laid the ground work and that cannot be airbrushed out. He may have had his own agenda but that was true of everyone who came after him. I think it is fair to state Sam didn't make a penny out of CCFC especially when you factor in he had £24m tied up in this club for nearly a decade without a penny in interest being paid. Compare that to what Ridsdale and PMG took out of this club and then tell me who were the crooks?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:49 am

thomasblue wrote:

Sam Hammam also wrote off interest. The Langston agreement of 2006 tied his £15m cash and £9m naming rights up for a decade with no interest payments.

I agree it was VT who then took us onto another level and repaid the debt built up by Ridsdale and Hammam. But it was Sam Hammam who took that initial risk with his own money without any guarantee of success back in 1999. Without that gamble we would-not be where we are now.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby maccydee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:40 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Spot on Maccydee :thumbup: It was Sam who got us from the old Division 4 into what is now the Championship in 2003. Would VT have given us a second look if we were in the old Division 4 and still playing at Ninian Park?

Sam laid the ground work and that cannot be airbrushed out. He may have had his own agenda but that was true of everyone who came after him. I think it is fair to state Sam didn't make a penny out of CCFC especially when you factor in he had £24m tied up in this club for nearly a decade without a penny in interest being paid. Compare that to what Ridsdale and PMG took out of this club and then tell me who were the crooks?

PMG were always about in Cardiff. They didn’t get involved until it was very financially beneficial. Sam took the risk.
maccydee

Postby bluescarlet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:43 am

Why is there such a reluctance on this board to give Vincent Tan the credit he deserves. From backing two managers with substantial funds whilst in the premiership, which incidentally both wastes to the general financial support he has given us over the years. He was man enough to admit he got it wrong over the colour.
The best owner we have had by some miles.
bluescarlet

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:55 am

thomasblue wrote:

Sam Hammam also wrote off interest. The Langston agreement of 2006 tied his £15m cash and £9m naming rights up for a decade with no interest payments.

I agree it was VT who then took us onto another level and repaid the debt built up by Ridsdale and Hammam. But it was Sam Hammam who took that initial risk with his own money without any guarantee of success back in 1999. Without that gamble we would-not be where we are now.

Spot on Tony and fans forget Cardiff City were going No where before the year 2000 and that’s a fact :thumbright: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby ElyBoy1984 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:59 am

Respect Annis!
ElyBoy1984

Postby ElyBoy1984 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:03 am

And respect to those who actively campaigned to restore OUR identity.
ElyBoy1984

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 am

ElyBoy1984 wrote:Respect Annis!

Cheers Simon :thumbright: :bluescarf:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby casa gil » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:48 am

people saying without sam we wouldnt be where we are now, how do they know, maybe another buyer was just around the corner, we`ll never know, and ridsdale never shit on us or stabbed us in the back with the season ticket promise,it was to sort the shit out that sam left us in, vincent tan has made some mistakes along the way but in my opinion hes put them right and id say hes the best owner this club has ever had
casa gil

Postby Daniel_PT_blues » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Love those pics, how times have changed for the better since then.
Daniel_PT_blues

Postby maccydee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:26 pm

bluescarlet wrote:Why is there such a reluctance on this board to give Vincent Tan the credit he deserves. From backing two managers with substantial funds whilst in the premiership, which incidentally both wastes to the general financial support he has given us over the years. He was man enough to admit he got it wrong over the colour.
The best owner we have had by some miles.

Definitely true.

Some clown on Facebook was changing history yesterday about our past and Tan’s involvement.

If he cures cancer some City would say he took his time.

I am a fan of both Sam and Tan. Both improved us.

I would love them to work together. Tan’s money and financial clout and Sam’s football nous.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:28 pm

casa gil wrote:people saying without sam we wouldnt be where we are now, how do they know, maybe another buyer was just around the corner, we`ll never know, and ridsdale never shit on us or stabbed us in the back with the season ticket promise,it was to sort the shit out that sam left us in, vincent tan has made some mistakes along the way but in my opinion hes put them right and id say hes the best owner this club has ever had

Ridsdale produced his own shit. When Sam left we were top of the league.

If an owner who could take us forward was about they sure hid themselves well. They had ample opportunity to buy us.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:30 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:And respect to those who actively campaigned to restore OUR identity.

Yes agree with that. There weren’t many of them though. Owner of this board was one.

Of course much like the ‘I was at Rochdale away brigade’ the numbers who actually campaigned was a lot smaller than the amount who claimed to be a part of it. Well until we started losing anyway.
maccydee

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:30 pm

maccydee wrote:
casa gil wrote:people saying without sam we wouldnt be where we are now, how do they know, maybe another buyer was just around the corner, we`ll never know, and ridsdale never shit on us or stabbed us in the back with the season ticket promise,it was to sort the shit out that sam left us in, vincent tan has made some mistakes along the way but in my opinion hes put them right and id say hes the best owner this club has ever had

If an owner who could take us forward was about they sure hid themselves well. They had ample opportunity to buy us.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby maccydee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Sullivan May have been a good owner if he ever did.
maccydee

Postby maccydee » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Sullivan May have been a good owner if he ever did.
maccydee

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:35 am

It is always easy to say 'it could have happened' it is very difficult to actually make it happen. That is what Sam Hammam did he made it happen.

There was no mythical other investors unless you count those idiots Ridsdale flirted with (the American bankers who worked on Newport Road or that Walter Mitty feller from the Channel Islands :roll: ).

Ridsdale lied to our faces over the season ticket scam. It was supposed to be for player investment in the January window but all along the real reason was to cover Decembers pay roll as the club didn't have a pot to piss in and also had an unpaid tax bill.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:14 am

It is always easy to say 'it could have happened' it is very difficult to actually make it happen. That is what Sam Hammam did he made it happen.

There was no mythical other investors unless you count those idiots Ridsdale flirted with (the American bankers who worked on Newport Road or that Walter Mitty feller from the Channel Islands :roll: ).

Ridsdale lied to our faces over the season ticket scam. It was supposed to be for player investment in the January window but all along the real reason was to cover Decembers pay roll as the club didn't have a pot to piss in and also had an unpaid tax bill.

:thumbright: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Boyinblue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:54 am

maccydee wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
thomasblue wrote:

Agree - Sam's legacy is undeniable :occasion5:
Boyinblue

Previous

Return to General Chat