' Lee Tomlin and Gary Madine '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:22 pm

The puzzling situation with Cardiff City's Lee Tomlin and Gary Madine explained and what is likely to happen next

By Glen Williams

Wednesday 14th August 2019

One look at Cardiff City's squad will tell you they are certainly well stocked in the striker department.

The acquisitions of Robert Glatzel and Isaac Vassell bolstered Neil Warnock's already ample attacking options, given Danny Ward and Omar Bogle are also readily waiting in the wings.

What next, then, for Gary Madine?

Following the departure of Kenneth Zohore to West Brom and Glatzel having been deemed unavailable for the opening day fixture against Wigan, Warnock gave Madine the nod to lead the line.

But, by all accounts, striker failed to take his opportunity and once again, ahead of transfer deadline day, his future was thrown into doubt.

Last season, the 28-year-old was desperate to seal a move to Sheffield United and was even keener to make the switch permanent.

GARY MADINE:

"Sheffield feels like home to me now," Madine said of Sheffield at the back end of last season.

"I’d be devastated if I had to move on from here at the end of the season. I’d love to stay for as long as the manager wants me and hopefully that’s beyond the summer."

Alas, it wasn't to be and Madine could not secure a permanent deal despite helping the Blades seal promotion to the Premier League.

He now finds himself in a five-way scramble for one starting spot up front, but he was conspicuous by his absence in the win over Luton Town last weekend.

Warnock instead opted for new-boy Vassell, who grabbed the late winner, and Bogle, who netted against Wigan, as the striking options on the bench.

Vassell will have propelled himself to the top of the chasing pack behind Glatzel, while Bogle has been impressive during pre-season and in his brief showing against the Latics.

So, what happens from here? Madine can either battle his way through the crowd and back into the reckoning or seek first-team opportunities elsewhere.

It is unlikely a player who cost the Bluebirds £6million will drop to League One or League Two, however Scotland could yet be an option.

The other curious case in the Welsh capital, of course, is Lee Tomlin. Following the departure of Bobby Reid, the mercurial playmaker would have been forgiven for thinking he had shot to first choice for the number 10 role.

However Warnock preferred Callum Paterson against Luton after insisting Tomlin was stricken with a bad bout of gastroenteritis.

Earlier this summer, Cardiff fans were delighted when Tomlin exclusively told this website he was fit, firing and ready to become a Cardiff City hero.

His visibly leaner and fitter physique also brought much cause for optimism, but once again the doubts began to resurface. Just days after our interview, the player replied to a tweet telling a fan they will have to 'pray a lot harder' if they want to see him feature more this season.

Having worked tirelessly to get into peak condition, Tomlin had watched Reid, another gifted footballer who plays in a similar fashion, depart and it looked as though it left him a precarious position.

On the one hand, Warnock might want to play only the pragmatic, direct approach, opting for Paterson or even three in midfield. On the other, however, Tomlin could now be first-choice playmaker and the man Warnock turns to for ingenuity and creativity in attack if they are chasing a goal.

Like Madine, Tomlin could also find himself on the move before the end of this month. However Warnock may well want to keep his creative spark on the books a little while longer.
Attachments
2_Tomlin-Madine.jpg
2_Tomlin-Madine.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Lee Tomlin and Gary Madine '

Postby gwentbluebirds » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Tomlin should 100% be given a chance he is our main chance of creativity in an otherwise direct route.
gwentbluebirds

Return to General Chat