Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Three poor transfer windows????

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:48 pm

This summer, last summer,,, & the less said about January the better!

Re: Three poor transfer windows????

Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:57 pm

It beggers belief we still don't have a right back.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:11 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:This summer, last summer,,, & the less said about January the better!

I've been saying this all summer, we have absolutely nothing going forward in midfield

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:25 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:This summer, last summer,,, & the less said about January the better!

Spot on, cost cutting.

And in the long run will hurt is more.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Spot on, cost cutting.

And in the long run will hurt is more.

A lot more to come as well. It will make interesting viewing after these next 2 seasons.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:36 pm

cityone wrote:

I've been saying this all summer, we have absolutely nothing going forward in midfield

Signing too many lower league players and you get lower league performances, like today ..... we were woeful
Baffled why we didn't sign players on loan from premiership clubs ..... other sides do it to good effect
Warnock has got his work cut out to improve so many less than average players on today's showing

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Totally agreed we’ve been shopping at Poundland and have been found out 6??? When we lost lady years midfield we replaced them with poor quality

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:54 pm

7777 glt wrote:
cityone wrote:

Signing too many lower league players and you get lower league performances, like today ..... we were woeful
Baffled why we didn't sign players on loan from premiership clubs ..... other sides do it to good effect
Warnock has got his work cut out to improve so many less than average players on today's showing

You're bang on :thumbup:

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:17 pm

I make it 4 poor transfer windows, added to the fact we have not produced a first team regular from the academy for nearly 12 years makes for very grim reading indeed!!!

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Why are pundits saying we are stronger than previous championship side? Doesnt seem a problem at home but away from home it's a different story? Think Fulham away last season summed up NW attitude to playing away perfectly keep it tight and hope we get a goal from set play? Unfortunately today we never looked dangerous from what set plays we had near their area... just need a change of attitude when playing away. :thumbup:

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:25 pm

we can’t put the poor transfer windows down to cost cutting - check how much we’ve spent. It’s been sizeable.

There was at least £30m of players not in the squad or on the bench today - lack of investment hasn’t been the issue. How BADLY that money has been spent is.

No team at our level can afford to waste that sort of money and it’s been absolutely squandered.

Two other major factors that I think have led to the poor transfers...at least this summer (which could become even worse by Jan):
1. Warnocks confirmation that this would be his last season made the transfer window even harder - why would anyone sign for for us knowing that they could be out of favour on 12 months...unless they were ‘stepping’ up and so a risk worth taking.
2. Our ‘style’ of play putting other clubs off giving us loans...generally they are there to develop players...something loaness are very unlikely to get here!

Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Bluehants wrote:we can’t put the poor transfer windows down to cost cutting - check how much we’ve spent. It’s been sizeable.

There was at least £30m of players not in the squad or on the bench today - lack of investment hasn’t been the issue. How BADLY that money has been spent is.

No team at our level can afford to waste that sort of money and it’s been absolutely squandered.

Two other major factors that I think have led to the poor transfers...at least this summer (which could become even worse by Jan):
1. Warnocks confirmation that this would be his last season made the transfer window even harder - why would anyone sign for for us knowing that they could be out of favour on 12 months...unless they were ‘stepping’ up and so a risk worth taking.
2. Our ‘style’ of play putting other clubs off giving us loans...generally they are there to develop players...something loaness are very unlikely to get here!

Nail on the head.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Bluehants wrote:we can’t put the poor transfer windows down to cost cutting - check how much we’ve spent. It’s been sizeable.

Totally agree, how can people say cost cutting, Warnock got us up on a small budget but has since spent a lot of money on players.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:55 pm

And the one before those when we signed Madine for £6m.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:22 pm

valleymodeller wrote:

And the one before those when we signed Madine for £6m.

Absolutly. The relevant point I was making is; fact, Neil Warnock has had a lot of money made available in the transfer markets during his tenure with us,,, but have we had value for money? Would you honestly trust NW in another transfer window,,, knowing full well that he’s publicly expressed his retirement at the end of this season???

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:49 pm

What do you mean?

In January we signed our midfield general Leandro Bacuna who at the time was hardly a regular at today's opponents Reading who were at that time struggling in the Championship for a bargain £4m and gave him a nice long contract.

Leandro must have one hell of a good agent to get such an amazing deal!

;)

Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:58 pm

This is dead right. No Premier League manager in his right mind is going to be excited about squad players coming to play for us with our style. Not getting the Liverpool full back who went to Bournemouth no better illustration and that's when we were in PL. How we don't still have a RB is scandalous really.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:01 pm

davids wrote:

What do you mean?

In January we signed our midfield general Leandro Bacuna who at the time was hardly a regular at today's opponents Reading who were at that time struggling in the Championship for a bargain £4m and gave him a nice long contract.

;)

Yes, absolutely. I noticed that he was slapped on the shoulder by a number of the Reading staff on leaving the pitch after the game. They obviously love him there,,, who knows, they might even put in a cheeky bid for him next January???

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:08 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
davids wrote:

What do you mean?

;)

Yes, absolutely. I noticed that he was slapped on the shoulder by a number of the Reading staff on leaving the pitch after the game. They obviously love him there,,, who knows, they might even put in a cheeky bid for him next January???

Based simply on his performances for us I wouldn't accept a penny less than £5 for him - and no I didn't accidently leave out the word "million" after the £5.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:23 pm

Bacuna is absolutely useless.

Says how much trouble we are in mind when he is left as last man on half way line when we have a corner or attacking set piece.

Always had confidence when Bruno occupied that role but with Bacuna in his place it shows our weakness.

One of the strangest transfers amongst many many strange transfers. Glad the committee was set up

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Bacuna is absolutely useless.

Says how much trouble we are in mind when he is left as last man on half way line when we have a corner or attacking set piece.

Always had confidence when Bruno occupied that role but with Bacuna in his place it shows our weakness.

One of the strangest transfers amongst many many strange transfers. Glad the committee was set up

As I said, he must have a really persuasive agent.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Bacuna is absolutely useless.

“Transfer committee”?.. I think he was one of their many appointments under NW.

It makes you think.......

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 pm

You think we now have the committee in the aftermath of the bad business buying Cornelius! And Tans whitch hunt of Mackay thereafter.

At the time, Cornelius was billed as one of the worst transfers ever but we've done a damn good job of signing numerous other candidates since.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:You think we now have the committee in the aftermath of the bad business buying Cornelius! And Tans whitch hunt of Mackay thereafter.

At the time, Cornelius was billed as one of the worst transfers ever but we've done a damn good job of signing numerous other candidates since.

Not really, it still stands out massively above anyone else.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:49 pm

it feels strange to say this, but i've been saying it since we got promoted, i hate the idea of giving Warnock money to spend. he signs good players on free's but struggles when it comes to spending money, i got slated a few weeks ago after he signed Vassell, (now he might be a great fit) but what i slated was the comments Warnock made, and that was, when i was at rotherham i tried to sign him from truro....now Rotherham were fighting relegation at the time, and a pacey striker might of been what they needed, but we're fighting promotion, we needed an established player, or someone on loan from the premiership with a bit more quality. just look at the money he has spent and look at the quality we got from it

Madine - £6m. doesn't play
Cunningham - £4m...didnt play him
Reid - £8.5m/£10m (depending on whom you believe) didnt play him
Smithies - £4m didnt play him
Bacuna - £4m said he was going to be gunners replacement....right until he spent £4m on Marlon Pack.
Tomlin - £4m (again figure is branded upto and above that) doesnt play him
Bogle - £1m. didnt and still doesnt play him

Glatzel - £5.5m, now granted he has had two games, but all we have heard about him is, "he scored a hat-trick against Bayern, i hope he comes good, but lets be honest, Warnocks track record on spending doesnt look quite good.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:You think we now have the committee in the aftermath of the bad business buying Cornelius! And Tans whitch hunt of Mackay thereafter.

Not really, it still stands out massively above anyone else.

29 goals in 91 goals for Copenhagen after we ditched and still now on loan to a serie A side.
Madine would give him a good run in a contest on ccfc acquisitions that are bad value for money. Bacuna and cunningham up there too if their reported fees any where near real. Its the sheer volume of players we bring in who don't serve their time in the first team that's difficult to understand. Most be an awful lot of dead money besides wages with these deals. Agents fees, relocation costs, signing on fees, transfer levies too. All money we don't have going out of club without first team being stronger.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:04 pm

bluebird04 wrote:it feels strange to say this, but i've been saying it since we got promoted, i hate the idea of giving Warnock money to spend. he signs good players on free's but struggles when it comes to spending money, i got slated a few weeks ago after he signed Vassell, (now he might be a great fit) but what i slated was the comments Warnock made, and that was, when i was at rotherham i tried to sign him from truro....now Rotherham were fighting relegation at the time, and a pacey striker might of been what they needed, but we're fighting promotion, we needed an established player, or someone on loan from the premiership with a bit more quality. just look at the money he has spent and look at the quality we got from it

Madine - £6m. doesn't play
Cunningham - £4m...didnt play him
Reid - £8.5m/£10m (depending on whom you believe) didnt play him
Smithies - £4m didnt play him
Bacuna - £4m said he was going to be gunners replacement....right until he spent £4m on Marlon Pack.
Tomlin - £4m (again figure is branded upto and above that) doesnt play him
Bogle - £1m. didnt and still doesnt play him

Glatzel - £5.5m, now granted he has had two games, but all we have heard about him is, "he scored a hat-trick against Bayern, i hope he comes good, but lets be honest, Warnocks track record on spending doesnt look quite good.

The point about Vassell is a brilliant one and what different teams need at different stages. He might turn out to be good, but it’s the strategy that I can’t get my head around - fine to bring in one player who ‘might come good’, but we seem to do it with so many. Nelson, Whyte, Vassell, Glatzel, Day - basically 5 of our 8 signings this summer have more than an air of ‘hope’ about them and Warnock actually admits this. That was fine in the premier league on the basis that we were doing a ‘Burnley’, but where are they all now.

It’s one thing if they were absolutely smashing up the league they were in or have shown that capability before, but as far as I can tell none of them have.

Meanwhile, our rivals are singing proven quality players at this level or higher that can make them competitive now AND have value in the future.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Bluehants and bluebird04s points are all spot on. Simply too many punts on unproven players that don't make us better.

Spending money we seemly don't have.

Style of play is a major issue in trying to get quality loanees in.

If we cant even make a multi million pound investment in someone like Bobby Reid work to make us better in long term, why would a premier league club entrust us with a young talent to mess with?

Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:05 am

Warnock managed to pull Bamba and Hoillet from free agents in his first season!!

As mentioned elsewhere , I hope he is seriously looking for midfielders who are comfortable on the ball but can put a shirt in else it’s going to be a long season. .Cabaye would be good ? And Danny Simpson for right back wouldn’t be bad either !

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:08 pm

As i have stated on previous posts, simple maths show that we lost 3 midfielders in the summer and only replaced them with 2 midfielders, so we were already short before we kicked off this season, in general warnocks transfers have been poor to shocking, we have nobody in the middle of the park who has the vision to split a defence with their passing and we sriously lack pace throughout the squad, as for bacuna, how on earth has warnock given him a four year contract is beyond me.