Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bennet

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:49 pm

What on earth has happened to him? Never takes people on. Always the square ball - mainly to Ralls - or a clipped ball into space. Just very poor recently.

Re: Bennet

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Have to agree on this,at times was just jogging back,didn’t look at all interested

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 pm

ummmm he's shit, always has been!

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:40 pm

arri potta wrote:ummmm he's shit, always has been!

Nonsense

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Have to agree this year seems to have lost a yard of pace

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:04 pm

He's overrated. Constantly caught out of position and ball watches too often. Add to that he can't pass a ball (like most of the team! ).

Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Key for me is he now has nobody pushing him for his place. All players need healthy competition

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Imo very good player and has been brilliant for us over the past 2 seasons, however he was fu*king dreadful today. I still don't know why we don't have proper back ups for Peltier and Bennett :banghead:

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Constantly out of position.

Nowhere to be seen for any of their goals this afternoon, all of which came down the side of the pitch he was supposedly defending.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:57 pm

simple...Tactics today. we played a 3 in midfield today to avoid being over run which meant the space between the midfield and Glatzel was too big to be effective, which meant we just launched it up to him, this caused NML and Hoillett to have to keep coming inside to try and get on the end of headers. so we had no width, which meant our full backs had to play effectively as wingers when we had the ball.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:56 am

bluebird04 wrote:simple...Tactics today. we played a 3 in midfield today to avoid being over run which meant the space between the midfield and Glatzel was too big to be effective, which meant we just launched it up to him, this caused NML and Hoillett to have to keep coming inside to try and get on the end of headers. so we had no width, which meant our full backs had to play effectively as wingers when we had the ball.

The way to avoid that happennng again Is to play a dangerous number 10 type player in that hole. This way. one of their midfield 3 would be forced back to mark him and it also means that Glatzel will have more effective support and our wingers can stay wide dragging their full backs back. That’s why Tomlin must start on Wednesday. You can guarantee that if the opposing manager sees his name on the team sheet he’d be forced to ‘deal with him’.
I was frustrated watching how frustrated Glatzel was getting in the second half - his body language shied it.
All opinions but that’s how I see it.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:11 am

Alan_in_China wrote:He's overrated. Constantly caught out of position and ball watches too often. Add to that he can't pass a ball (like most of the team! ).

Agree with you. I cant for the life of me understand me how some many on this forum rate him so highly.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:21 am

JJ1927 wrote:
Alan_in_China wrote:He's overrated. Constantly caught out of position and ball watches too often. Add to that he can't pass a ball (like most of the team! ).

Agree with you. I cant for the life of me understand me how some many on this forum rate him so highly.

Because despite his obvious limitations and having a poor game yesterday he is by far one of if not the best left backs we have ever had.

He has always been a good pro, was fantastic in our promotion season and didn't do a lot wrong last season despite losing his dad in the middle of it he played the next day for the good of the team.

People need to be carefull what they wish for, there is not a lot better out there than Bennett at this level.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 am

Even last season was poor

Never took players on

Doesn't anticipate or make forward runs anymore

Ralls played him in he never even read it

Needs to replicate in training

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:14 pm

All players have poor runs , but its baffling that Cunningham who was purchased for such an occasion was let go on loan.
D ropping Bennet cannot be done , unless we are going again with square pegs in round holes.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:31 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Even last season was poor

Never took players on

hes a left back, and we arent man city or liverpool.

he was utter shit yesterday, but has been overall superb for us

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
arri potta wrote:ummmm he's shit, always has been!

Nonsense

Nah

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:07 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:Even last season was poor

Never took players on

hes a left back, and we arent man city or liverpool.

he was utter shit yesterday, but has been overall superb for us

Nah nah

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:45 pm

Brezza wrote:What on earth has happened to him? Never takes people on. Always the square ball - mainly to Ralls - or a clipped ball into space. Just very poor recently.

He was ill, it's obviously going to affect his ability, he's been a great player for us for two seasons give him a break!

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:29 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Brezza wrote:What on earth has happened to him? Never takes people on. Always the square ball - mainly to Ralls - or a clipped ball into space. Just very poor recently.

He was ill, it's obviously going to affect his ability, he's been a great player for us for two seasons give him a break!

Well said mate, of all the people to dig out..

I get we all have different opinions but I just don't know who people think we could get that's better than Joe.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:03 pm

Joe Bennett has been excellent for us. He was poor on Saturday, but FFS let's stop saying that our players are crap. If anyone's to blame it's the manager for getting the balance of the squad wrong ( too many strikers, not enough quality in midfield and no cover at LB/RB) and the manager/coaches for getting the tactics wrong.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:46 am

moonboots wrote:Joe Bennett has been excellent for us. He was poor on Saturday, but FFS let's stop saying that our players are crap. If anyone's to blame it's the manager for getting the balance of the squad wrong ( too many strikers, not enough quality in midfield and no cover at LB/RB) and the manager/coaches for getting the tactics wrong.

Agree with lots of that.
Tactics were wrong but only after MP went off but I agree that’s when coaches earn their money.
NW often gets his tactics right but sometimes wrong.
That’s life as a football manager.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:31 am

RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Because despite his obvious limitations and having a poor game yesterday he is by far one of if not the best left backs we have ever had.

He has always been a good pro, was fantastic in our promotion season and didn't do a lot wrong last season despite losing his dad in the middle of it he played the next day for the good of the team.

People need to be carefull what they wish for, there is not a lot better out there than Bennett at this level.

We all see things differently but for me and it seems a few others he is overrated and certainly not the best left back we have ever had.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 am

JJ1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

We all see things differently but for me and it seems a few others he is overrated and certainly not the best left back we have ever had.

Out of interest then who do you think is? What left backs have we had that are better than him?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:37 am

RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

Out of interest then who do you think is? What left backs have we had that are better than him?

none since i started watching 30 years ago thats for sure. though i did like Malone.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:49 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

none since i started watching 30 years ago thats for sure. though i did like Malone.

He was another one mate that people jumped all over, him and Bennett probably two of the best.

Taylor was 'ok' in the Championship, Kennedy was solid enough but Malone and Bennett are the stand outs at least since we have been back in the top 2 divisions anyway?

Andy Legg was obviously a legend but his ability didn't stretch to the level of the boys above. Who else have we had, Capaldi, Barker, Croft, Vidmar? None as good as Bennett imo

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 pm

RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

I suppose it depends what you see as the role of a full back. Bennett is ok going forward but I am of the old school that believes a full backs primary role is to defend and in this department I believe that Bennett is solely lacking. Hard to compare different players as its different leagues and different era.. I go back a long time so perhaps its unfair to compare but for his time and as an attacking full back, Gary Bell would stand head and shoulders above Bennett.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:53 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:

I suppose it depends what you see as the role of a full back. Bennett is ok going forward but I am of the old school that believes a full backs primary role is to defend and in this department I believe that Bennett is solely lacking. Hard to compare different players as its different leagues and different era.. I go back a long time so perhaps its unfair to compare but for his time and as an attacking full back, Gary Bell would stand head and shoulders above Bennett.

Agreed Gary Bell :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:08 pm

Clive Charles was different gravy in 73/74 season. Sadly died young in his 50's in America.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Bennet has gone backwards imo. Constantly out of position on the break!!