Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DISGRACEFUL: YAKOU MEITE SUBJECTED TO RACIST ABUSE

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:09 pm

Reading winger Yakou Meite suffers racial abuse on Twitter after being branded a 'f***ing monkey' following 3-0 win over Cardiff
By Ollie Lewis - MailOnline

Reading winger Yakou Meite was introduced late on and missed a penalty

The Ivorian has revealed racist messages received following the miss

Meite has garnered plenty of support in the aftermath of his tweet

Reading winger Yakou Meite has revealed racist messages received on Sunday following his side's victory over Cardiff City in the Championship.

The Royals defeated the Bluebirds 3-0 at the Madejski Stadium, with Meite replacing Portuguese forward Lucas Joao to see the game out for Jose Manuel Gomes' side.

Meite was involved late on as Reading were awarded a penalty. However, the Ivorian failed to convert the spot-kick to extend the winning margin.

The 23-year-old has disclosed private messages he has received containing racist abuse following Sunday's game.

The abuser labelled Meite a 'f***ing monkey' and says: 'Can't score penalty'.

Meite posted a screenshot of the messages to his Twitter alongside the caption: 'I don't think I need to speak. @ReadingFC'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: DISGRACEFUL: YAKOU MEITE SUBJECTED TO RACIST ABUSE

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:14 pm

No one is suggesting this came from a genuine supporter of either side bar absolutely disgraceful in this day and age!

Thankfully, the decent majority will abhor this treatment of any player/person and I think Yakou Meite showed a fair bit of class with his response

Yet another faceless coward spreading hate whilst hiding behind a keyboard! :roll: :oops: :banghead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Seems people aren't bothered Sven, too busy ripping into the team and manager :roll: it's disgusting, hope they catch the trolling w@nkers :banghead: :old: :bluebird:

Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:21 pm

bluesince62 wrote:Seems people aren't bothered Sven, too busy ripping into the team and manager :roll: it's disgusting, hope they catch the trolling w@nkers :banghead: :old: :bluebird:

Sadly, it seems to be the case with many, fella! :cry:

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 am

I saw Meite's tweet earlier. Totally unacceptable and far too easy for people to use social media for this purpose.

Sadly, at the Luton match, heard one of our fans call an opposition player a "black b*stard" at one point. Didn't know who said it or would have reported it - although I did tell a steward that racist language was being used but got a half hearted response.

These people are the lowest of the low - there should never be an excuse.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:37 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:I saw Meite's tweet earlier. Totally unacceptable and far too easy for people to use social media for this purpose.

Sadly, at the Luton match, heard one of our fans call an opposition player a "black b*stard" at one point. Didn't know who said it or would have reported it - although I did tell a steward that racist language was being used but got a half hearted response.

No such thing as racists at our stadium. Got hounded as a liar when I tried raising it before.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:59 am

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:I saw Meite's tweet earlier. Totally unacceptable and far too easy for people to use social media for this purpose.

No such thing as racists at our stadium. Got hounded as a liar when I tried raising it before.

Sometimes it's easier to turn a blind eye to it, but it doesn't stop it being there.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:27 am

Is it right he has had this before off a Reading 'fan' ?
Until some brainless cretin is chucked in jail this will never stop, warnings and banning orders are useless.

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:09 am

I brought this up with someone this morning and his response was “that’s what Brexit going to do”.
What an idiot!
I said that it was a ridiculous statement and completely disagreed with him. I brought up the fact that the brain dead idiot who wrote that tweet hasn’t just suddenly had racist views since Brexit and that it must be deep rooted in his thinking whatever politics are going on in our country.
His response was “Maybe, but Brexit is giving some safer platform to spout this sort of stuff”.
Unfortunately, I can see how some idiots may think this.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:52 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I brought this up with someone this morning and his response was “that’s what Brexit going to do”.
What an idiot!
I said that it was a ridiculous statement and completely disagreed with him. I brought up the fact that the brain dead idiot who wrote that tweet hasn’t just suddenly had racist views since Brexit and that it must be deep rooted in his thinking whatever politics are going on in our country.
His response was “Maybe, but Brexit is giving some safer platform to spout this sort of stuff”.

Easier to blame Brexit or Trump than address the actual problem.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 am

Jock wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:I brought this up with someone this morning and his response was “that’s what Brexit going to do”.
What an idiot!

Easier to blame Brexit or Trump than address the actual problem.

Exactly mate.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

It seems Paul Pogba is the latest target of the cowards following his penalty miss last night.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:It seems Paul Pogba is the latest target of the cowards following his penalty miss last night.

Theirs a lot of sheep on social media it appears? Senseless really as will be traced and will face consequences :thumbup:

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:32 am

pembroke allan wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:It seems Paul Pogba is the latest target of the cowards following his penalty miss last night.

Theirs a lot of sheep on social media it appears? Senseless really as will be traced and will face consequences :thumbup:

As I said before, they are cowards.

I see that Harry Maguire has suggested everyone who signs up to social media sites should have to give proof of identity (driving license, passport etc) so it's easier to trace.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm

JulesK wrote:Is it right he has had this before off a Reading 'fan' ?
Until some brainless cretin is chucked in jail this will never stop, warnings and banning orders are useless.

Do you really think someone should be jailed for saying something offensive? Banned from stadium, season book revoked or fined but jailing someone for words seems draconian.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:23 pm

Jock wrote:

Do you really think someone should be jailed for saying something offensive? Banned from stadium, season book revoked or fined but jailing someone for words seems draconian.

Will open the worlds biggest can of worms if jailed for words? No one but no one will be safe from big brother at football rugby or any event sporting or otherwise... :old:

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:48 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Jock wrote:

Will open the worlds biggest can of worms if jailed for words? No one but no one will be safe from big brother at football rugby or any event sporting or otherwise... :old:

Al I agree with free speech etc as it’s what our country has been about for hundreds of years. But surely if someone’s jailed for this it’s good news all round.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:53 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Jock wrote:

Al I agree with free speech etc as it’s what our country has been about for hundreds of years. But surely if someone’s jailed for this it’s good news all round.

On second thoughts, I do see that it would open a huge can of worms. Not quite as simple as I suggested.