Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Three-point plan to sort out Cardiff City '

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:26 pm

Danny Gabbidon's three-point plan to sort out Cardiff City

By Danny Gabbidon

Tuesday 20th August 2019

Various concerns have been raised about Cardiff City after their opening three games have seen them concede seven goals with largely uninspiring performances.

Ahead of Cardiff City hosting Huddersfield on Wednesday night, we asked Bluebirds legend and ex-Wales international Danny Gabbidon what his three priority areas would be to sort out.

Here's what Danny Gabbidon had to say.

Defence

"If you look at Cardiff City two seasons ago when they got promotion to the Premier League, promotion was built on a solid defence and being very difficult to beat.

"I think, first and foremost, it's getting the defensive side of things sorted out.

"They conceded three against Wigan and three against Reading on the weekend.

"It's very difficult to win games of football when you're conceding so many goals. First and foremost would probably be that."

Cardiff City must sort their defence out as a priority (Image: Magi Haroun/Huw Evans Agency)

Mentality

"Maybe from the weekend as well, the mentality side of things.

"One thing you can probably never put a label against a Neil Warnock team is an opposition team coming out and out-muscling them, or out-running them, showing more fight than them. That was probably a little bit of a worrying thing for me on the weekend. Reading in all departments, especially the physical side, dominated Cardiff.

"I think there may be a little bit of a hangover coming down from the Premier League and the team adjusting to life in the Championship.

"I think getting that mentality right before Wednesday, and realising what it takes to win games in the Championship is going to be really important going into the game."

Firm three

"Third one, for me, I think you probably look at the top end as well, the attacking side of things - figuring out who is going to be his main three.

"The new guy [Robert] Glatzel has come in and I've actually been quite impressed with what he's done so far.

"I think working a little bit on the attacking side, how you're going to get the best out of him, obviously you've got Josh Murphy, Junior Hoilett, Isaac Vassell has come in as well.

"We didn't really get anything going from an attacking side on the weekend, either. I know they beat Luton the weekend before.

"But I think figuring out how they're going to get the best out of those players and get the four players performing as well, firing and scoring goals, is going to be key."

Robert Glatzel of Cardiff City has come in and impressed so far

The former centre-back added: "I've named three things there but it's a collective thing. It's a team thing, it starts from the defending side all the way through to the attacking side.

"At the minute, I just think they're lacking a little bit in all departments.

"It is early days and I think they will get better. That's the beauty of the Championship. If you have a bad result, there's another game coming thick and fast, there's an opportunity to put things right.

"I'm no manager, I'm no Neil Warnock, but that's what I'd be looking at on the training ground now."

Re: ' Three-point plan to sort out Cardiff City '

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:58 pm

It’s not hard to see where we ve gone wrong so far,
Defence-getting pulled all over the place,so stick to positions and do your job(defend),Bennett was Mike’s away for readings first goal
Midfield-spread the ball wide,if we play with wingers use them,have some confidence go forward with the ball
Wingers-attack the defenders,get to the byline and cross the ball
Strikers-shot when giving the opportunity,not really having much ball to do anything at the moment

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Point one - It’s getting the defensive side of things sorted out.

Wow, talk about stating the bleedin obvious!
And no suggestions how Danny?
Worse than Nathan Blake.
:laughing6:

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:21 pm

That’s a damning indictment of NW. Basically says Neil is failing.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm

We are paceless in defence ....Luton manager was quoted as saying they knew that could run thro our midfield and get at the back four as they are slow .....that’s from a lower half side that will do well to stay up ....DG hadsnt said anything worth reading

Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:12 pm

We are paceless in defence ....Luton manager was quoted as saying they knew that could run thro our midfield and get at the back four as they are slow .....that’s from a lower half side that will do well to stay up ....DG hadsnt said anything worth reading

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pm

This was said about our speed at the back after the 1st half at wigan
Wigan where whipping u2n crossses 1st half we dealt with it, 2nd half straight through the middle and every championship club noticed so until we play someone with speed in defence its not going to improve.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:33 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:Point one - It’s getting the defensive side of things sorted out.

Wow, talk about stating the bleedin obvious!
And no suggestions how Danny?
Worse than Nathan Blake.
:laughing6:

That's what I thought haha

At least offer some solutions????

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Can't gave solutions until we reach another transfer window.

We have Morrison and Flint who are two similar and too slow and will be found out.

We've not replaced Gunnar and Bruno who have been crucial to us for seasons.

Madine, Tomlin, Murphy, Cunningham millions of pounds spent and don't play and Bacuna absolutely garbage. And let's not forget we bought Bacuna whilst in the PL.

Where's the transfer committee?

All sir Neils fault I'm not sure?

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Point 1. Sort the defence. No explaining how? Lol