Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DANNY GABBIDON'S THREE-POINT PLAN FOR CITY

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:02 pm

Danny Gabbidon's three-point plan to sort out Cardiff City's early season issues
By Katie Sands

The Bluebirds have conceded seven goals in three games

Various concerns have been raised about Cardiff City after their opening three games have seen them concede seven goals with largely uninspiring performances.

A disjointed Cardiff succumbed to a 3-0 defeat against Reading in front of the live TV cameras on Sunday, which could have been four had it not been for Alex Smithies' late penalty save, as Reading ran riot against a disjointed and rudderless Bluebirds outfit.

The Bluebirds have chalked up a 2-1 win against Luton the weekend previously, but their opening 3-2 defeat against Wigan means they have conceded six goals from three games already.

Ahead of Cardiff City hosting Huddersfield on Wednesday night, we asked Bluebirds legend and ex-Wales international Danny Gabbidon what his three priority areas would be to sort out.

Here's what he had to say...

Defence

"If you look at Cardiff City two seasons ago when they got promotion to the Premier League, promotion was built on a solid defence and being very difficult to beat.

"I think, first and foremost, it's getting the defensive side of things sorted out.

"They conceded three against Wigan and three against Reading on the weekend.

"It's very difficult to win games of football when you're conceding so many goals. First and foremost would probably be that."

Mentality

"Maybe from the weekend as well, the mentality side of things.

"One thing you can probably never put a label against a Neil Warnock team is an opposition team coming out and out-muscling them, or out-running them, showing more fight than them. That was probably a little bit of a worrying thing for me on the weekend. Reading in all departments, especially the physical side, dominated Cardiff.

"I think there may be a little bit of a hangover coming down from the Premier League and the team adjusting to life in the Championship.

"I think getting that mentality right before Wednesday, and realising what it takes to win games in the Championship is going to be really important going into the game."

Firm three

"Third one, for me, I think you probably look at the top end as well, the attacking side of things - figuring out who is going to be his main three.

"The new guy [Robert] Glatzel has come in and I've actually been quite impressed with what he's done so far.

"I think working a little bit on the attacking side, how you're going to get the best out of him, obviously you've got Josh Murphy, Junior Hoilett, Isaac Vassell has come in as well.

"We didn't really get anything going from an attacking side on the weekend, either. I know they beat Luton the weekend before.

"But I think figuring out how they're going to get the best out of those players and get the four players performing as well, firing and scoring goals, is going to be key."

The former centre-back added: "I've named three things there but it's a collective thing. It's a team thing, it starts from the defending side all the way through to the attacking side.

"At the minute, I just think they're lacking a little bit in all departments.

"It is early days and I think they will get better. That's the beauty of the Championship. If you have a bad result, there's another game coming thick and fast, there's an opportunity to put things right.

"I'm no manager, I'm no Neil Warnock, but that's what I'd be looking at on the training ground now."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: DANNY GABBIDON'S THREE-POINT PLAN FOR CITY

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209481 :thumbright:

Re: DANNY GABBIDON'S THREE-POINT PLAN FOR CITY

Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 am

be more determined
defend better
attack better.

well done Danny.
eat your heart out Pep.