Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ANOTHER season of tolerating disappointment... really?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 pm

In my opinion, the fans showed their loyalty and faith in Warnock by backing him last season throughout the WHOLE season. At no point did the fans turn on Warnock despite us constantly in the bottom 3 throughout. Even when the path for survival opened up towards the end, which everyone here (despite being somewhat reasonably doubtful, naturally) I think most people here were quietly confident that we were able to achieve 2 wins in our final few games which would most definitely have seen us survive. Despite the results not going our way, the fans stuck behind him and gave him support.

What happened in Janurary in my opinion wasn't the reason we got relegated. Infact, I actually think we performed much better due to the players playing for Sala and more importantly Warnock.
A massively huge season for Cardiff, a season that could define our future as a club, it didn't go to plan. But still, the fans got behind Warnock.

My point for this whole post is that us fans have already spent a whole YEAR getting behind Warnock despite things not going our way. Like alot of people including myself keep saying, the only thing we "owe" Warnock is our respect for all the good he's done at Cardiff, nobody desputes that. If Warnock leaves tomorrow nobody is going to say "He was an awful manager", far from it. Infact he's up there as the best Manager we've ever had. HOWEVER, we do not "owe" warnock respect for what he's currently doing at the club, we've shown him respect, he knows based off last season how much we appreciate him. But after 3 games, there are so little signs to be optimistic about this season, if I'm honest. Having said that, if we win tomorrow it will definitely reel alot of us in a little bit. I hope to post something positive tomorrow, ofcourse. Maybe a small percentage but generally nearly everyone here doesn't WANT Warnock to fail, we just use this as a forum to express our dissapointment and frustrations, ESPECIALLY with certain promises from Warnock such as "Use Burnley as an example" when we don't look like we're going straight back up, it just destroys the whole point of getting promoted & 'building' a strong championship team in the first place, because based off the start we've had we are far from a strong championship team.

Positive people carry on, negative people carry on. I'm rarely positive for the sake of it, and I'm never negative for the sake of it. Recently though I'm seeing alot of people being positive just for the sake of it. Final time to repeat myself but Warnock had last season as a "show your support to him", surely we can't do it for 2 seasons in a row, he needs a win tomorrow or it's surely over. We are in a terrible terrible position if this time tomorrow we're 7 points from top 2 already after just 4 games...

Re: ANOTHER season of tolerating disappointment... really?

Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 pm

its called transition. its a different league with different demands, with different players. only 3 of those that started our final game of last season started Sunday and there were only 4 same starters from our win at Old Trafford.
I was gutted leaving the ground Sunday , disappointment didn't quite do justice to how I felt ,but having thought longer and harder , much of the disappointment came from being too positive to begin with { 5 winnable games to start the season } , the reality is most relegated clubs have a big turn over of players and most take time to settle.
being patient is not being positive for the hell of it.
being impatient with our expert manager after just 3 games might be being too negative though.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Well said Deepbluefc.

Somewhere in your post I was reminded of Fulham away last season and how disappointed I was leaving the ground. Negative tactics did little to help our cause in a crucial and winnable fixture.

He has without doubt spent more money in real and relative terms than any Cardiff manager ever. Cardiff is a draw for players and should be an easy sell when trying to attract but his methods and style of play simply don't fit with where game and other clubs now are.

Neither us there any sense in running an academy when the first teams style of play us like ours. Do the academy teams play Warnock ball? Of course they don't. So any talent we may have won't suit our first team anyway.

I respect Sir Neil and seeing my club in PL in blue is down to him. Parties need to accept he is not the Holy Grail and realise that his playing style has very very clear limitations.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:08 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Well said Deepbluefc.

Somewhere in your post I was reminded of Fulham away last season and how disappointed I was leaving the ground. Negative tactics did little to help our cause in a crucial and winnable fixture.

He has without doubt spent more money in real and relative terms than any Cardiff manager ever. Cardiff is a draw for players and should be an easy sell when trying to attract but his methods and style of play simply don't fit with where game and other clubs now are.

Neither us there any sense in running an academy when the first teams style of play us like ours. Do the academy teams play Warnock ball? Of course they don't. So any talent we may have won't suit our first team anyway.

I respect Sir Neil and seeing my club in PL in blue is down to him. Parties need to accept he is not the Holy Grail and realise that his playing style has very very clear limitations.

some good points but MMs summer spend having won promotion was the most any newly promoted team had ever spent in its first window ..where as our spend last year was peanuts in premier league terms.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:22 am

Think we all need to be realistic - teams vary rarely come straight back up when they’ve been relegated. The stats from previous seasons show it’s incredibly hard to achieve.

It’s also very difficult from a style of play point of view - we performed much better than Fulham and Huddersfield last year playing ‘hoofball’ than them who play on the deck. Had we done it the other way round and still gone down no doubt it would have wound people up so Warnock can’t really win on that one.

We always knew it was a huge ask to stay up - particularly as we didn’t spend anywhere near what most teams did. We’ve gone up and stabilised financially which is not what we did last time - we are being run as a proper club now which takes time. Problem is we all want success yesterday.

Warnock isn’t faultless - far from it, but he’s taken us from division between owners and fans whilst being in the bottom half of the champ - to the premier league and fans feeling much more connected with the club in 2.5 seasons - all whilst not breaking the bank. Therefore, he deserves a bit more time than 3 games of the new season before people start questioning him - I feel he’s earned that at least.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 am

Deep Blue FC wrote:In my opinion, the fans showed their loyalty and faith in Warnock by backing him last season throughout the WHOLE season. At no point did the fans turn on Warnock despite us constantly in the bottom 3 throughout. Even when the path for survival opened up towards the end, which everyone here (despite being somewhat reasonably doubtful, naturally) I think most people here were quietly confident that we were able to achieve 2 wins in our final few games which would most definitely have seen us survive. Despite the results not going our way, the fans stuck behind him and gave him support.

What happened in Janurary in my opinion wasn't the reason we got relegated. Infact, I actually think we performed much better due to the players playing for Sala and more importantly Warnock.
A massively huge season for Cardiff, a season that could define our future as a club, it didn't go to plan. But still, the fans got behind Warnock.

My point for this whole post is that us fans have already spent a whole YEAR getting behind Warnock despite things not going our way. Like alot of people including myself keep saying, the only thing we "owe" Warnock is our respect for all the good he's done at Cardiff, nobody desputes that. If Warnock leaves tomorrow nobody is going to say "He was an awful manager", far from it. Infact he's up there as the best Manager we've ever had. HOWEVER, we do not "owe" warnock respect for what he's currently doing at the club, we've shown him respect, he knows based off last season how much we appreciate him. But after 3 games, there are so little signs to be optimistic about this season, if I'm honest. Having said that, if we win tomorrow it will definitely reel alot of us in a little bit. I hope to post something positive tomorrow, ofcourse. Maybe a small percentage but generally nearly everyone here doesn't WANT Warnock to fail, we just use this as a forum to express our dissapointment and frustrations, ESPECIALLY with certain promises from Warnock such as "Use Burnley as an example" when we don't look like we're going straight back up, it just destroys the whole point of getting promoted & 'building' a strong championship team in the first place, because based off the start we've had we are far from a strong championship team.

Positive people carry on, negative people carry on. I'm rarely positive for the sake of it, and I'm never negative for the sake of it. Recently though I'm seeing alot of people being positive just for the sake of it. Final time to repeat myself but Warnock had last season as a "show your support to him", surely we can't do it for 2 seasons in a row, he needs a win tomorrow or it's surely over. We are in a terrible terrible position if this time tomorrow we're 7 points from top 2 already after just 4 games...

A very good post, :thumbup: Nobody wants warnock to fail because if he fails then the club fail. As for what happened in January, as sad as it was/still is, it did not define our season, for me that came last summer when warnock failed to bring in a recognised out and out striker therefoe having to play patterson there for the best part of the season. It's so frustrating because we were only 3 points away from staying up, now surely you would think a recognised striker could score 5-6 goals in that 5 month period from August - December???? that being the case then it's a big possibility that 3 points could have been gained in that period.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:30 pm

Very good post.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:30 pm

It’s 3 games into the season ffs :lol:

Come back to it after 12 games if are not in or around the playoffs then maybe you can moan.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Why is Warnock a better manager than Malky? In his first season with us having a tiny squad he took us to the playoffs and the league cup final picking up great players like Kenny Miller and Gunnarsson for nothing along the way. In his second season he got us promoted to the premier league as champions. We will never know if he would have kept us up,probably not. Why is Neil Warnock our best manger ever when Malky did at least as well as him in my view.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:35 pm

I respect NW for many reasons but the main one is that having managed just under 1500 matches he will have forgotten more about football than an average fan will ever know.

I also respect the job he has done as manager of Cardiff City winning over 42% of the games he has managed, I respect the fact that when he arrived he pretty much picked our club off it's knees and not only saved us from relegation but took us to mid table respectability. The following season he took our club to automatic promotion despite being one of the favourites for relegation, that season how many were calling for his head when we lost 4 on the trot over Christmas and the New Year, but we went on a 12 game unbeaten run winning 10 and drawing 2 and the rest just couldn't catch us.

As Cardiff fans we ALL loved that promotion and as fans always do we were happy to "Bask In The Reflected Glory" of the team and managers success. Last year we had the opposite end of the pendulum but even then NW operating with the lowest budget in PL history took us within 1 game of safety, in my opinion within 1 decision of PL safety and that was the Chelsea offside goal.

We may have had a disappointing start to this season, but so what, compared to many seasons over my 55 years of watching the City these are without doubt the "Very Best Of Times". I would go as far as to say NW is the best manager our club has had during my 55 years, in Mehmet Dalman we have the best Chairman in my 55 years and in VT we have the best owner in my 55 years.

I honestly believe in NW we have the best manager for our club and I hope that in his final season we achieve another promotion so as fans we can again - "BASK IN THE REFLECTED GLORY OF HIS ACHIEVEMENTS"

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Deep Blue FC wrote:In my opinion, the fans showed their loyalty and faith in Warnock by backing him last season throughout the WHOLE season. At no point did the fans turn on Warnock despite us constantly in the bottom 3 throughout. Even when the path for survival opened up towards the end, which everyone here (despite being somewhat reasonably doubtful, naturally) I think most people here were quietly confident that we were able to achieve 2 wins in our final few games which would most definitely have seen us survive. Despite the results not going our way, the fans stuck behind him and gave him support.

mate... please go and see a councillor im not even joking.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:42 pm

Crayfish wrote:Why is Warnock a better manager than Malky? In his first season with us having a tiny squad he took us to the playoffs and the league cup final picking up great players like Kenny Miller and Gunnarsson for nothing along the way. In his second season he got us promoted to the premier league as champions. We will never know if he would have kept us up,probably not. Why is Neil Warnock our best manger ever when Malky did at least as well as him in my view.

Are you serious,or drunk :occasion5: Warnock is a far better manager,with a far superior record to mckay :laughing6: how many promotions has he won?simply put,that is why he is a better manager. :? :old: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:40 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

mate... please go and see a councillor im not even joking.

I agree...WTF ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:35 am

We are FOUR games in

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Well said Deepbluefc.

Complete bullshit about the spending. Malky spent far more in real terms or any terms. It’s probably more anyway but When you take into account the spending of others, inflation etc.

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:51 pm

The Crayfish view is reasonable.
MM spent big on Caulker and Medal, fees we recovered when we were relegated
Then there is Cornelius.
What were his other big fee signings?
Arguably the most significant signing was Fazier Campbell in January. His goals and impetus second half of season was a difference after the previous January's when the Riddler promised but didn't deliver.
Who else did MM spend significant money on?
Without repeating points made all over here, its the spend on players for the future or for if we were relegated that Warnock goes off and doesn't play. We all know their names so I won't repeat!
Its well in the past, but who knows where club would be if it wasn't for textgate and Warnock not, at this stage anyway, not worth more praise than MM. Though I concede club in a better place when MM walked through the door than when Sir Neil did.

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:The Crayfish view is reasonable.
MM spent big on Caulker and Medal, fees we recovered when we were relegated
Then there is Cornelius.
What were his other big fee signings?
Arguably the most significant signing was Fazier Campbell in January. His goals and impetus second half of season was a difference after the previous January's when the Riddler promised but didn't deliver.
Who else did MM spend significant money on?
Without repeating points made all over here, its the spend on players for the future or for if we were relegated that Warnock goes off and doesn't play. We all know their names so I won't repeat!
Its well in the past, but who knows where club would be if it wasn't for textgate and Warnock not, at this stage anyway, not worth more praise than MM. Though I concede club in a better place when MM walked through the door than when Sir Neil did.

what about noone. connolley, kim bo,velikonja,mutch, kiss...and where do you think the majority of the debt came from..? { and no it was not OGS who I thought was pants but whose time included the 5 top earners leave and a minus spend on fees }
malky spent money and got us up ,purely on that score I have zero complaints..but lets not pretend 11 million plus in transfer fees plus some pretty expensive free agents in 2012 is a comparable budget to our current manager..its beyond silly..

Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:55 pm

A million each for Noone, Mutch and Kim Bo who all provided good value I'd suggest. Connolly and Cowie were free. Whether we really paid the reported 2.5 million for velikonia is debadatable but the only one really now to question. Title winning side.

Madine, Cunningham, Smithies to name but three. And Bacuna too. Who is only playing because we've no one else. And until Tuesday night Tomlin. And heaven how much we paid for Niasses loan spell.

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:A million each for Noone, Mutch and Kim Bo who all provided good value I'd suggest. Connolly and Cowie were free. Whether we really paid the reported 2.5 million for velikonia is debadatable but the only one really now to question. Title winning side.

Madine, Cunningham, Smithies to name but three. And Bacuna too. Who is only playing because we've no one else. And until Tuesday night Tomlin. And heaven how much we paid for Niasses loan spell.

#
so where did all this debt come from ?
he won promotion mate so it was job done up to that point..
for me though what separates the 2 is one has tried to bring a disjointed split club together, the other did his very best to use the divisions to his own ends.
not sure Connolly was free { as in transfer fee } and Cowie was a free agent offered contracts by half a dozen clubs including 2 pay rises by Watford..similar to Gunner the previous season..we payed top dollar..its not 1973 where free means unwanted.

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:A million each for Noone, Mutch and Kim Bo who all provided good value I'd suggest. Connolly and Cowie were free. Whether we really paid the reported 2.5 million for velikonia is debadatable but the only one really now to question. Title winning side.

Your naming people he signed when we were in the prem too if that’s the case you should also name Malays classical waste of money on Cornelius along with lesser wastes on few others that year.

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:32 pm

phildavies wrote:

Your naming people he signed when we were in the prem too if that’s the case you should also name Malays classical waste of money on Cornelius along with lesser wastes on few others that year.

lol..MM player fees are debatable or even free..Warnocks fees inflated.. and no doubt the accounts which spell it out are inaccurate .and Dalmans statement last year about still paying for it was lies :roll:

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:09 pm

deadmouse wrote:
phildavies wrote:

lol..MM player fees are debatable or even free..Warnocks fees inflated.. and no doubt the accounts which spell it out are inaccurate .and Dalmans statement last year about still paying for it was lies :roll:

Their is nothing debatable about wasting millions on Cornelius. Or wasting lesser fees whilst in the prem on others such as Brayford for example who he immediately loaned out to Sheffield United.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:01 am

Kenny Miller 900k year of 25k a week. 300k sold for? (Maybe free)
Filip Kiss 600k never played.
Nicky Maynard 2.5 million. (Injuries sadly)
Kim Bo 2.5 million (not 1 million)
Velikonja 1.8 million
Noone 1.5 million
Mutch 1.25 million
Connolly 500k
Cornelius far too much
Medel 11.5 million (sold on for Similar after a good season)
Caulker 8.5 million (sold on for similar after a good season)
Theophile Catherine 2.5 million
Brayford 2 million
Peter Odemwingie 2.5 million

How many of them were worth it?

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:20 pm

deadmouse wrote:
phildavies wrote:

And you know all this to be true or is it just you speculating?Calling someone a liar just because you don't agree with what he says is really bad form especially hiding behind social media anonymity.

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
phildavies wrote:

And you know all this to be true or is it just you speculating?Calling someone a liar just because you don't agree with what he says is really bad form especially hiding behind social media anonymity.

lol and roll of eyes along with previous posts are pretty big clues here.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am

Disregarding fees paid, last time we were relegated from Prem, nucleus of our squad for following Champions season who all played ten league games or more was

Marshall, Turner, Peltier, Fabio, Manga, Morrison, Brayford, Connolly, Noone, Whitts, Gunnar, Ralls, Le Fondre, Macheda, Kenwyne Jones.

Jones scored 11 league goals before being shipped off and Macheda 6.

We finished 8th.

Strangely three of first five games were then against Blackburn, Wigan and Huddersfield.

How does squad compare?

The squad above was certainly not the squad of misfits we now have. We havent exactly signed youngsters either in Bacuna, Flint, Nelson

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:04 pm

Deep Blue - Well said.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm

Agree deepblue

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Agree deepblue