Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CITY v LUTON: A VIEW FROM THE GROUND

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 pm

What struck me about tonight's game was that despite a number of changes, City employed a similar style to that played in the Championship with a similar result; a decent start, plenty of opportunities but no goals before the opposition themselves started to force themselves into the game and put the City defence under pressure

To be fair, City started brightly and both Bogle and Vassell worked hard to get into scoring positions but their finishing and decision-making left them fruitless for their efforts

My biggest question of the first-half was "Where's Calum Paterson?"

Missing? Inneffective? Not match fit? I'm not too sure and it might have been a mixture of all three

Like City, Luton huffed and puffed without having the breath to blow the City house down...until a tame cross caused panic in the six yard box and suddenly Luton were ahead

HT: CITY 0 - 1 LUTON

The second half saw City attacking a little more but this allowed Luton to counterattack and cause City more problems

City manager, Neil Warnock, was surprisingly undemonstrative on the touchline, although he could be seen barking out orders to those on the field

As seems the way currently, an improved period from City that might have seen an equaliser, was then snuffed out by a screaming goal from Luton to make it 2-0

Gary Madine's introduction (for Bogle) almost paid off when he had a shot deflected away

City then went into a period of 'pass the ball to the opposition' and paid the price as a City attack quickly turned into defence and Luton broke away to make it 3-0

Another flat performance from a City team and similar from a flat crowd, who only seemed to spring to life when Luton went 3-0 up and that was to show their displeasure at the dish being served up

Plenty of opportunities but very poor in and around the box sounds all too familiar of late

FT: CITY 0 - 3 LUTON

Re: CITY v LUTON: A VIEW FROM THE GROUND

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:42 pm

Paterson was horrific. He didn’t look fit and definitely can’t play in a CM two. Vaulks wasn’t much better.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 pm

For me just shows how weak the squad really is.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 pm

annis questions need to be asked after a performance like tonight i hope nw as the amswers by friday :bluebird:

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:For me just shows how weak the squad really is.

Annis, it was woeful and I really don't think the first team need worry about those supposedly putting them under pressure :(

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 pm

pengamblue wrote:annis questions need to be asked after a performance like tonight i hope nw as the amswers by friday :bluebird:

Lots of clubs asking lots questions tonight that's for sure! NW answer will be to play best 11 on Friday same as Norwich and all other championship premiership teams will be doing at weekend :thumbup:

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:52 pm

There is a real positive from tonight's match and it's that we will only have to endure 1 more cup disappointment from the NW era.

Of greater concern is the fact that a 2nd string Luton Town were technically superior, physically fitter and faster and simply passed us to death. With every game that goes by we are looking less and less likely to be making a concerted push for promotion but having sold quality and replacing it with some pretty average players we shouldn't be surprised.

NW has said this will be his last season and I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a disappointment to everyone associated with our club. But right now it looks like the squad he has assembled is nothing more than mediocre and mediocre teams don't in my experience win promotion.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:23 am

What would make you think Sven that changes would bring a different style?

Sir Neils recruitment shows no signs whatsoever of any deviation in style. He only knows the one way regardless of division or opposition. He brings in players he believes can do what he expects

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:32 am

castleblue wrote:There is a real positive from tonight's match and it's that we will only have to endure 1 more cup disappointment from the NW era.

Of greater concern is the fact that a 2nd string Luton Town were technically superior, physically fitter and faster and simply passed us to death. With every game that goes by we are looking less and less likely to be making a concerted push for promotion but having sold quality and replacing it with some pretty average players we shouldn't be surprised.

NW has said this will be his last season and I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a disappointment to everyone associated with our club. But right now it looks like the squad he has assembled is nothing more than mediocre and mediocre teams don't in my experience win promotion.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

do you really think the next manager will treat cup games any differently ?
the last decent cup run was under MM when he also put mix and match toss a coin teams out in the early rounds... result ? one year you reach a final, the next you lose to Northampton and Macclesfield