Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY'S LOWEST CROWD AT THE CCS

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Tonight's game was watched by 4,111 fans, the lowest crowd for a Cardiff fixture since they moved to Cardiff City Stadium a decade ago.

Cardiff were League Cup finalists in 2012, but have now lost five of their past six ties in the competition.

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock: "I always thought the first goal would be vital with the way we play.

"We had six or seven good opportunities, but couldn't take any of them and they got the deflected goal. They could keep the ball and slow it down after that. We have got to be more clinical.

"Things come thick and fast so we move on to Fulham now. The lads are looking forward to that game. We'll have a good crowd in and the lads are really up for it."

Re: CARDIFF CITY'S LOWEST CROWD AT THE CCS

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:38 pm

I have to say that it appears City supporters have lost faith with anything that includes the word 'Cup' these days and the record low crowd figure versus Luton tonight seems to support that :(

Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:53 pm

Sven wrote:I have to say that it appears City supporters have lost faith with anything that includes the word 'Cup' these days and the record low crowd figure versus Luton tonight seems to support that :(

But why , no one would have foreseen the result ,the kids are still off school with a chance to see what the remaining squad players can offer the 1st team. More importantly could tonight's result impact on Fridays attendance and is Warnock's magic wearing off.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:06 pm

I was wondering what the excuses would be. Seems like it’s the cup’s fault this time :D

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:40 pm

JackSensealot wrote:I was wondering what the excuses would be. Seems like it’s the cup’s fault this time :D

If you'd have watched,it was as if they were training :o but hey ho,seeing as you regard it as a MAJOR trophy (as you won it ;) )managers just have no interest in it,look at results tonight,and the line ups of most teams,were certainly not all first teamers, personally glad we are out,the championship is a long old season, f@ck the cup I say :ayatollah: and don't bother with the retort of "well you would say that" this is how I feel most seasons,it's not good or financially viable any more,now the fa cup is the only one clubs want on their cv,unless like man city,you are looking to do the quadruple. :old: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 am

bluesince62 wrote:
JackSensealot wrote:I was wondering what the excuses would be. Seems like it’s the cup’s fault this time :D

If you'd have watched,it was as if they were training :o but hey ho,seeing as you regard it as a MAJOR trophy (as you won it ;) )managers just have no interest in it,look at results tonight,and the line ups of most teams,were certainly not all first teamers, personally glad we are out,the championship is a long old season, f@ck the cup I say :ayatollah: and don't bother with the retort of "well you would say that" this is how I feel most seasons,it's not good or financially viable any more,now the fa cup is the only one clubs want on their cv,unless like man city,you are looking to do the quadruple. :old: :bluebird:

It’s nothing to do with what I regard as a major trophy, it IS a major trophy as it is a direct route to Europe through the major league in Europe. Line ups get changed in the FA Cup too and the Europa League. That’s not because cups aren’t important, it’s because retaining League status has become financially paramount. I think the only Cup competition that doesn’t tempt managers to tinker is the Champions League.

Them playing badly is of no consequence to anything. As fusilier pointed out above, that wasn’t to be known prior to the match. It looked like they were going through the motions when I watched them against Reading too.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:09 am

JackSensealot wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:

It’s nothing to do with what I regard as a major trophy, it IS a major trophy as it is a direct route to Europe through the major league in Europe. Line ups get changed in the FA Cup too and the Europa League. That’s not because cups aren’t important, it’s because retaining League status has become financially paramount. I think the only Cup competition that doesn’t tempt managers to tinker is the Champions League.

Them playing badly is of no consequence to anything. As fusilier pointed out above, that wasn’t to be known prior to the match. It looked like they were going through the motions when I watched them against Reading too.

Didn't interest me in the slightest, as I said on here prior to the game. I half expected a 4-0 type result, just didn't know who to. Used to watch these games, but they have attracted tiny gates for many years now. No longer the competition it once was, and certainly the mates I go down with were not interested either. In fact, it looks as if 10k to 15k of our fans feel the same as me and my friends.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:13 am

Get used to the sight of an empty stadium. Have City ever won a cup game under Warnock?

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 am

Sven wrote:Tonight's game was watched by 4,111 fans, the lowest crowd for a Cardiff fixture since they moved to Cardiff City Stadium a decade ago.

Cardiff were League Cup finalists in 2012, but have now lost five of their past six ties in the competition.

Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock: "I always thought the first goal would be vital with the way we play.

"We had six or seven good opportunities, but couldn't take any of them and they got the deflected goal. They could keep the ball and slow it down after that. We have got to be more clinical.

"Things come thick and fast so we move on to Fulham now. The lads are looking forward to that game. We'll have a good crowd in and the lads are really up for it."

I was thinking about the season we made the final of the League Cup whilst I was watching yet another NW no show cup match last night and for me it just highlights where we are as a club.

That season MM arrived at our club with just a handful of professional players and had to put together a squad spending net a little over £1m most of that spent on Kenny Miller. Our forward line during that year was mainly Miller, Mason & Gestede and when you compare that to the £m's NW has spent on the likes of Madine, Bogle, Vassell, Glatzel, Ward, Reid it does beg the question, Has NW overpaid for a load of below average strikers or are they decent players that are being shackled by the same tactical approach in every single game? NW pretty much answered the question last night "Always though the first goal would be vital THE WAY WE PLAY".

8 years on and following a poor summer transfer window our club has gone pretty much full circle but at least come May 2012 MM took his team into the playoffs. Anyone seriously think this seasons squad will repeat that?

But hey-ho things do move on quickly in the Championship and just as quickly into the 2 week International break and hopefully that will bring one or two of our injured players back into contention before we take on Derby.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:48 am

Completely agree Castleblue.

There's a few threads on here saying NW our greatest manager and MM being forgotten.

Oh to have most of MMs freebie recruits in the squad now.

There's a thread on here about our squad that won promotion with MM and it makes our current squad look like the mismatch shambles it is.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:19 am

Its always sad to see an empty stadium, and I think in this case there are a number of factors at play: the cup, bank holiday weekend, early in the week. Its too early to start putting this down to poor performance - the fans will surely be back for big league fixtures.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 am

BC-CB wrote:Get used to the sight of an empty stadium. Have City ever won a cup game under Warnock?
Mansfield away reply was won under Warnock in the FA Cup after it was announced the winners face Man'City at home.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:36 am

A nothing game for a nothing cup, i wouldn't look too far into it

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:41 am

I’m a massive fan of Warnock, but after a cup defeat to Fulham a couple of years ago he didn’t seem to bothered. At that point, I thought why am I wasting my time and money and refused to attend any other cup games and keep my enthusiastic and vocal support for league matches. :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:57 am

Nearly 25k for our league game against Luton shows what most fans think of this competition. I have so little interest in it myself that I did not even know the result until earlier today. I think the difference in the gate between last night and our league game against them speaks for itself. Most of us have a complete lack of interest in this second rate competition, and I can't see anything changing much in the future.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:14 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:I’m a massive fan of Warnock, but after a cup defeat to Fulham a couple of years ago he didn’t seem to bothered. At that point, I thought why am I wasting my time and money and refused to attend any other cup games and keep my enthusiastic and vocal support for league matches. :bluescarf:

its not Warnock its all managers..

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:14 am

May be the cup should draw future rounds at the start. Like tennis but without seedings. If we knew we could play the Jacks next round, or others, would stimulate interest. Couldn't make crowds any worse. And if you knew you had a good run through a few rounds that might add to numbers too.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:19 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:May be the cup should draw future rounds at the start. Like tennis but without seedings. If we knew we could play the Jacks next round, or others, would stimulate interest. Couldn't make crowds any worse. And if you knew you had a good run through a few rounds that might add to numbers too.

its not a bad idea tbh as there is so little interest with most clubs. or maybe have the first 2 rounds just prior to the season starts on Saturdays when everyone has been starved of football instead of friendlies { this did happen in 70s, not sure why it stopped }

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:26 am

deadmouse wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:May be the cup should draw future rounds at the start. Like tennis but without seedings. If we knew we could play the Jacks next round, or others, would stimulate interest. Couldn't make crowds any worse. And if you knew you had a good run through a few rounds that might add to numbers too.

its not a bad idea tbh as there is so little interest with most clubs. or maybe have the first 2 rounds just prior to the season starts on Saturdays when everyone has been starved of football instead of friendlies { this did happen in 70s, not sure why it stopped }

Pre season friendlies as a cup road. Sounds like the Nations Cup and that's gone down well. Good idea.

Any sides that know they are playing a rival or big fish in next round will have to take the round more seriously.

Can't make attendances or apathy any worse.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 am

deadmouse wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:I’m a massive fan of Warnock, but after a cup defeat to Fulham a couple of years ago he didn’t seem to bothered. At that point, I thought why am I wasting my time and money and refused to attend any other cup games and keep my enthusiastic and vocal support for league matches. :bluescarf:

its not Warnock its all managers..

That’s a good point tbh, but I lived away between 1999 and 2014 so I put up with it for a couple of seasons as I was excited to be back home watching the Bluebirds regularly. :lol:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:02 am

I think the point some are missing is Luton put out and even weaker side than us 10 changes, and were able to beat us 3-0 at home which tends to suggest our fringe first team players are a bit crap. As for concentrating on the league last season Norwich beat us 3-1 in the first round went on a bit of a cup run and still finished as champions. We went out in the first round od both cups and were still relegated.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:09 am

I think that if we were performing well in the league, we wouldn't care less about last night. The fact that our new additions are so far poor and that our performances are even worse atm makes last night's result an added disappointment. I didn't and wouldn't go to any cup games under warnock and actually am thinking twice about going to league games right now as its so costly.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:36 am

Crayfish wrote:I think the point some are missing is Luton put out and even weaker side than us 10 changes, and were able to beat us 3-0 at home which tends to suggest our fringe first team players are a bit crap. As for concentrating on the league last season Norwich beat us 3-1 in the first round went on a bit of a cup run and still finished as champions. We went out in the first round od both cups and were still relegated.

Spot on. If it was a team of our kids so be it. If we'd lost 4-2, so be it. Warnocks signings can't score a goal and his midfield can't tackle or pass. Two young fullbacks arguably provide the only consolation.

Anyone know anything about Warnocks record of bringing youngsters through? In recent years he hasn't been at a club long enough probably.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:55 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Nearly 25k for our league game against Luton shows what most fans think of this competition. I have so little interest in it myself that I did not even know the result until earlier today. I think the difference in the gate between last night and our league game against them speaks for itself. Most of us have a complete lack of interest in this second rate competition, and I can't see anything changing much in the future.

Not really. League games are covered by pre bought season tickets, if cup games were also pre paid with a ST purchase then the gate would also be nearly 20,000. People hate forking our extra money and hence look for any excuse they can not to, which is why they then miraculously find the cash and time to go should the team make the quarters and onwards.

If ST pre purchases didn’t cover that Luton league game then I can’t imagine you would get 25,000 walk ups, in fact I doubt you would get half that.

Ours are the same, although would be very disappointed if we got 4,000 at a league cup game, that’s extremely poor. I guess we will see what ours is later and may shock me... but I would hope to get a couple more thousand than that.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Some auto type shockers there :D

Do your best.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:12 pm

First game i didn't go to for a while , knew we would lose why should fans take it seriously when warnock obviously doesn't

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:18 pm

I don't understand why the consensus is Warnock doesn't take cup seriously so why should fans.

It was a team full of his signings. And his most recent signings. Why should that be taken as an automatic loss as manager not taking it seriously?

There's a lot of ongoing weekly wages in his signings plus agents fees. And we were at home.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:20 pm

wez1927 wrote:First game i didn't go to for a while , knew we would lose why should fans take it seriously when warnock obviously doesn't

I don’t get that view though.

These players are the ones Warnock bought. He brought them into the club with the understanding they were good enough to beat teams in your own league, so how does playing those players mean he wasn’t taking it seriously? If I felt any manager wasn’t taking a match seriously then I would want him immediately sacked.

Bogle
Vassell
Vaulks
Paterson
Hoilett
Whyte
Flint
Day

All those were in the starting line up and are all serious contenders to play league games (in fact they all do play don’t they?)

It’s not like he trotted out the development squad.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Crayfish wrote:I think the point some are missing is Luton put out and even weaker side than us 10 changes, and were able to beat us 3-0 at home which tends to suggest our fringe first team players are a bit crap. As for concentrating on the league last season Norwich beat us 3-1 in the first round went on a bit of a cup run and still finished as champions. We went out in the first round od both cups and were still relegated.

I think most got the point fine. these first round affairs are two mix and match sides who its impossible to tell which will gell the better. it will be exactly the same next season just as it is every year at every club.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:50 pm

More than I expected to be honest.

Knowing how much interest Warnock has in cup games I couldn't think of anything worse. Shame as I think it can be a good source of income.