Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bury is just tip of the iceberg

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:02 am

A lot of our fans don’t seem to have much empathy and are even ridiculing Bury but it must devastating for the fans and the community as a whole The football league should be vetting these owners and not just allowimg them to takeover a club and start asset stripping or treating the club as a hobby of theirs ..This is shocking this has been allowed to happen and their is talk of some championship clubs who are getting into some serious financial problems ...Mel Morris pumps £2 million a month to keep Derby going apparently ..Fear that this is just the beginning ...

Re: Bury is just tip of the iceberg

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:15 am

All of what you say is true apart from the first line.

I see empathy from the majority of our fans and a recognition that it could very well have been us.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:24 am

Football has been killing itself for years,the big clubs keep getting richer and the small clubs,struggling to survive,top players now earn stupid amounts of money,look what happen to Cardiff just recently,we lost a young player to Man City for peanuts,who then sold him for 10 million a year later

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:13 am

caerblue wrote:Football has been killing itself for years,the big clubs keep getting richer and the small clubs,struggling to survive,top players now earn stupid amounts of money,look what happen to Cardiff just recently,we lost a young player to Man City for peanuts,who then sold him for 10 million a year later

top players earning stupid amounts shouldn't really effect small clubs living within their means..

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:33 am

When leeds were at our lowest the whole world wanted us dead empathy you say??

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:45 am

In terms of empathy I was referring to posts on the other thread about this .. You reap what you sow type mentality which is unfair as it’s not the fans fault regarding the appointment of owners ... It’s the governing body the EFL who don’t do enough to protect the clubs and fans from these type of people taking over ...

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:52 am

Gordon Taylor was just on Talksport saying all the PFA had done to help the players. Loans, paying wages, etc.

He said he's most sorry for the other clubs that were affected by Bury's actions. E.g. not paying their debts but gaining promotion at the cost other. He has a point.

The fit and proper test is going to get the much needed revamp I think!

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:58 am

andy 189 wrote:When leeds were at our lowest the whole world wanted us dead empathy you say??

yeah but thats Leeds, not Bury

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:02 am

deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:Football has been killing itself for years,the big clubs keep getting richer and the small clubs,struggling to survive,top players now earn stupid amounts of money,look what happen to Cardiff just recently,we lost a young player to Man City for peanuts,who then sold him for 10 million a year later

top players earning stupid amounts shouldn't really effect small clubs living within their means..

Of course it does,like I said with the academy lad,small clubs spend loads of time and effort bringing them up through all the age groups,and lose them to the big premier league side,some got lost in the age groups,but a lot get sold on for largeamounts

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:08 am

caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

Of course it does,like I said with the academy lad,small clubs spend loads of time and effort bringing them up through all the age groups,and lose them to the big premier league side,some got lost in the age groups,but a lot get sold on for largeamounts

Agreed, there are some massive clubs just signing youngsters from smaller clubs at an age where transfer fees don't come into it or are minimal as they can afford to gamble.

Before the big clubs cottoned on we were moaning about only getting £5m for Rambo. Nowadays somebody would have signed him from us way before and for nothing.

That loop hole needs to be closed otherwise the gap between rich and poor will get bigger.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:45 pm

How would we feel if it was Swansea! Or Newport (again), or us!!

It's the fans and the community who suffer. The only good that can come is if Bury and Bolton both go out it may force the EFL and FA to take a close look at what is happening in the English game. Most of the managers at PL level are foreign as are most of the players. The FA still expect England to win the World Cup but with very few players to chose from these days, while continental teams get stronger and stronger.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:25 pm

caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

yes but none of that has anything to do with top players earning stupid amounts of money.. its the rules that allow academy players to be pinched..in Matondos case it was decided on appeal that we were due 6 mill had he made a first team appearance { which was fair } but should also have been a sell on clause in there .

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:01 pm

andy 189 wrote:When leeds were at our lowest the whole world wanted us dead empathy you say??

Yeah, but I’m sure you understand why andy..and I like Leeds as a club.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm

deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

yes but none of that has anything to do with top players earning stupid amounts of money.. its the rules that allow academy players to be pinched..in Matondos case it was decided on appeal that we were due 6 mill had he made a first team appearance { which was fair } but should also have been a sell on clause in there .

It’s not the players fault,they’ll obviously take the money offered,it’s the clubs or should I say the people who make the rules,how can you have one player earning half a million a week,when you get clubs going out of business

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Because ever since Div 1 split, this has been coming. Richard Scudamore should have foreseen this, but like everyone else, he’s a greedy b*stard.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:36 pm

deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

Money and wages at the top level does have an effect as it drives wage inflation down through the leagues, especially with parachute payments in place - you only have to look at some of the wages in the championship to see how ridiculous it is. I remember the outrage when John Barnes broke the 10k a week wage barrier - at the time one of the best players in the country, playing at the best club. With hyper inflation since the PL, you have some players earning 40x that amount and average average Championship players earning £30k a week.

The Premier League has ‘unwittingly’ created a new cost base for all of football, but not delivered the same level and share of revenue growth.

Wages are just one of a number of issues though and ultimately the governance of the game is going to have to improve significantly if some rebalancing is to happen - everything from the role that agents play, how owners can be properly tested, ‘big’ clubs hoovering up academy players from ‘smaller’ clubs, ‘big’ clubs stock piling players and distorting the loan mkt, how FFP can be a fit and proper system, protecting grounds from non sport related development etc.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am

caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

It’s not the players fault,they’ll obviously take the money offered,it’s the clubs or should I say the people who make the rules,how can you have one player earning half a million a week,when you get clubs going out of business

because its the top players and top clubs that attract the revenue. it does have a spill down effect I agree but that's hardly the fault of the clubs who can afford it...its only football you hear this , nobody would suggest a massively popular recording artist who fills huge stadia should pour money into acts that do pubs..

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:14 pm

deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

because its the top players and top clubs that attract the revenue. it does have a spill down effect I agree but that's hardly the fault of the clubs who can afford it...its only football you hear this , nobody would suggest a massively popular recording artist who fills huge stadia should pour money into acts that do pubs..

I don’t think you get it,you reply is a bit daft to be fair,but if that’s your opinion

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:30 pm

caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
caerblue wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

I don’t think you get it,you reply is a bit daft to be fair,but if that’s your opinion

well I tried.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:49 pm

Shhhhhh