Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Dean Saunders sent to prison "

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 am

Daily Mirror

Former Liverpool striker Dean Saunders has been jailed for 10 weeks.

The Welshman pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a roadside breath test and failing to provide a breath sample for analysis.

Saunders appeared at Chester Magistrates' Court on Wednesday morning.

The 55-year-old was stopped on suspicion of drink driving by police in Boughton, Chester, on May 10 pleaded guilty by letter yesterday and was sentenced on Wednesday.

Saunders, of The Paddocks, Whitegate, near Northwich, Cheshire, had initially denied both charges at an earlier hearing. He was also banned from driving for 30 months.

Saunders, who also played for Aston Villa and Derby County and was capped by Wales 75 times, is a regular football TV and radio pundit.

Re: " Dean Saunders sent to prison "

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:01 am

no excuse for his actions....

one of my favourite presenters on TalkSport

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:06 am

Gavin wrote:no excuse for his actions....

Totally agree. His radio stuff is great. He has a knack of making anything interesting and has a no-nonsense approach.

However, drink driving is just stupid. A prison sentence must have been due a previous offence maybe???

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:21 am

Some of the nicest people I know are silly twats when their pissed.I guess Deano will have some time to reflect on this and I expect Brazil to rip the piss into him. :lol:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:25 am

Gavin wrote:no excuse for his actions....

I like him but he makes me cringe on the radio.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:31 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Some of the nicest people I know are silly twats when their pissed.I guess Deano will have some time to reflect on this and I expect Brazil to rip the piss into him. :lol:

If he survives the TalkSport axe.... ;)

I agree with Gavin and Woodville Willie (above) that there are no excuses but definitely one of the better guests presenters on that station

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:43 am

Great player, great pundit, naughty boy.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Some of the nicest people I know are silly twats when their pissed.I guess Deano will have some time to reflect on this and I expect Brazil to rip the piss into him. :lol:

He'll have some nerve. He's got form for drink driving himself

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:19 pm

He's lucky it wasn't judged on his football knowledge. He May have ended up with 10 years.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:27 pm

I think is contract with bt sport and talk sport won’t be renewed I bet he wasn’t expecting that today ten weeks in prison he must have been shocked by that

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:I think is contract with bt sport and talk sport won’t be renewed I bet he wasn’t expecting that today ten weeks in prison he must have been shocked by that

Dont think previous but he refused a test twice and his brief made up some bollocks about asthma medication and beer. Appeared arrogant in court too, thinking he was above it all. Seems alright on talksport but maybe he is a dick after all.
Banned for 3 years too...

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:53 pm

If there was a gay pride event or similar going on he’d probably have got away with it as the Heddlu would have been dancing in the streets and not on the job so to speak.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 pm

no sympathy. remember when he made up that story about Clough being drunk? tosser.

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Ninianman wrote:If there was a gay pride event or similar going on he’d probably have got away with it as the Heddlu would have been dancing in the streets and not on the job so to speak.

What an absolutely weird as f**k post.

Why would traffic police be stood in the street?

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:58 am

If they’ve been naughty, they make them direct traffic for 2 weeks..

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:35 am

rumpo kid wrote:If they’ve been naughty, they make them direct traffic for 2 weeks..

To where exactly ?

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 pm

He’s been released after one day in prison.

Due to be re-sentenced October 4th.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:33 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Daily Mirror

Former Liverpool striker Dean Saunders has been jailed for 10 weeks.

The Welshman pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a roadside breath test and failing to provide a breath sample for analysis.

Saunders appeared at Chester Magistrates' Court on Wednesday morning.

The 55-year-old was stopped on suspicion of drink driving by police in Boughton, Chester, on May 10 pleaded guilty by letter yesterday and was sentenced on Wednesday.

Saunders, of The Paddocks, Whitegate, near Northwich, Cheshire, had initially denied both charges at an earlier hearing. He was also banned from driving for 30 months.

Saunders, who also played for Aston Villa and Derby County and was capped by Wales 75 times, is a regular football TV and radio pundit.

I know it's a stupid thing to do and COULD be very dangerous, but that sentence is harsh when you compare it to other sentences for burglary etc!

Still, it's his own fault and he will have to pay the consequences !!!

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Freed after just one day in prison

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:21 pm

mistaflux75 wrote:Freed after just one day in prison

On appeal, so he could (but I doubt) be sent back... ;)

Original Judge called Dean Saunders "arrogant" and that seems to have not helped his original cause :roll:

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Sven wrote:
mistaflux75 wrote:Freed after just one day in prison

On appeal, so he could (but I doubt) be sent back... ;)

Original Judge called Dean Saunders "arrogant" and that seems to have not helped his original cause :roll:

Awe ok, just saw the headline :thumbup:

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 pm

For those who are saying that 10 weeks is harsh, he could have killed someone. Considering our courts hand out 8 week sentences for not paying council tax for 6 months, I dont think 10 weeks for a guy with previous is that bad.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Probably had enough of him spouting rubbish so give him the boot after just one day

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:42 am

Really could have killed someone and in cases like this pretty sure it would have not been his first time of driving under the influence.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:35 pm

Video here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... n-stand-up