Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

PRESS CONFERENCE: NEIL WARNOCK TALKS AHEAD OF FULHAM GAME

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Cardiff City press conference: Neil Warnock on injuries and potential transfers ahead of Fulham trip
WalesOnline

Neil Warnock met the media ahead of Friday night's clash with Fulham

Thursday 29th August 2019

The Cardiff City kid getting fans excited

Cameron Coxe certainly gave some cause for optimism in the face of a 3-0 defeat to Luton Town this week.

While he looks a little raw and is, of course, wet behind the ears, he showed yet more promise of what many Bluebirds hope is to come.

One of the enigmas surrounding City at the start of the season was just why we hadn’t seen more of the 20-year-old Welshman, no more so than when Leandro Bacuna was deployed at right back against Reading.

While most fans will accept that Lee Peltier is first choice in that position, many have been crying out to see Coxe named on the bench or at least push the established right back for his position.

Coxe is a player who Neil Warnock has been working with extensively over the past few months after a mooted loan deal to Exeter City was eventually kiboshed when the League Two club deemed him too suspect defensively.

Re: PRESS CONFERENCE: NEIL WARNOCK TALKS AHEAD OF FULHAM GAM

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Neil Etheridge update

Do you know when will Neil Etheridge be ready?

“Not really. He’s probably the worst. He’s doing stretches now and things. His was a bad one, really. I imagine he will still be another four or five weeks before training properly.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:34 pm

Team news?

Neil Warnock: “It’s a little bit early.

“We made a lot of changes but quite a few of them are carrying knocks, four or five of the lads who are playing. I don’t think anyone will miss the game but we had one or two yesterday who didn’t train either.

“We’re just going to have to wait and see, really. Hopefully a similar squad to the last game. I’ll be glad when we have the international break after Friday. They’re only little knocks, but they are niggly ones that can put you out for a game.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Looking forward?

“You talk about stats, the last two games they’ve played, a record amount, wasn’t it? 900-odd passes against Millwall, 84% possession.

“They are a good side, but nothing to be worried about, nothing to be afraid of. They always have more possession than us when we play them.

“But I think we can give them a good game and be positive. I think we did ever so well against Huddersfield.

“What we need to do is take our chances and put more pressure on teams.

“It’s alright creating five or six like the other night, you lose 3-0. You’ve got to take more of your opportunities. We’ve had some really good opportunities.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:37 pm

'The lads have got a bit more of a spring in their step'

Warnock: “It’s a nice club. There’s no doubt Leeds and Fulham are the two favourites.

“The best signing they made was keeping Mitrovic, he’ll be on hell of a contract but good luck to him.

“If he’s not the best striker then he’s one of the best strikers at that level and the commitment he shows. He’s brought other players in, Knockaert, Cavaleiro, they’ve got some quality players really. The lads have got a bit more of a spring in their step at the moment though, our lads.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Are Fulham right up there?

“If you finish above Fulham you’ll get automatic promotion, I think.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:42 pm

'The lads have got a bit more of a spring in their step'

Warnock: “It’s a nice club. There’s no doubt Leeds and Fulham are the two favourites.

“The best signing they made was keeping Mitrovic, he’ll be on hell of a contract but good luck to him.

“If he’s not the best striker then he’s one of the best strikers at that level and the commitment he shows. He’s brought other players in, Knockaert, Cavaleiro, they’ve got some quality players really. The lads have got a bit more of a spring in their step at the moment though, our lads.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:49 pm

'Finishing above Fulham means promotion'

Are Fulham right up there?

“If you finish above Fulham you’ll get automatic promotion, I think.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Not seen the best?

“It was always going to take time, partnerships and gelling etc. The other night, I thought there were three or four plusses for me so that’s what I’m looking for."

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:51 pm

Warnock on Cardiff's start to the season

“We have had a good run last couple of games after the debacle at Reading.

“I don’t think we’ve done badly, just defended poorly and not taken opportunities. A goal gives you a lift or against you it gives the opponent a lift. The only disappointment was the Reading game, really.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:53 pm

On home form:

“We enjoy being underdogs. When you’ve got a good crowd. I wasn’t disappointed the other night, I thought save your money and come Friday.

“We want everybody on Friday, the place absolutely bounces on Friday.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:54 pm

You won’t be underdogs often…

“Even the other night they were talking about a Premiership teams. I think there was two of the team that started… We’ve just got to keep trying to build what we’re good at.

“The last two games, Blackburn and the win at home, Joe Ralls had started to play and Bacuna did better. We’ve only got Will Vaulks in there as well, so we’re a little bit short in there.

“We’ve seen Tomlin give us an hour as he fights for his fitness. We’re looking for the confidence those players in midfield.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:55 pm

Underdogs?

“Yes, absolutely, and we enjoy that. I don’t think there’s anyone we should be scared about.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:58 pm

You won’t be underdogs often…

“Even the other night they were talking about a Premiership teams. I think there was two of the team that started… We’ve just got to keep trying to build what we’re good at.

“The last two games, Blackburn and the win at home, Joe Ralls had started to play and Bacuna did better. We’ve only got Will Vaulks in there as well, so we’re a little bit short in there.

“We’ve seen Tomlin give us an hour as he fights for his fitness. We’re looking for the confidence those players in midfield.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Cardiff targeting short-term reinforcements

On free agents:

“We had a list yesterday of probably about 15 players. I have enquired about a couple of other players not on the list.

“When you get players, out of contract, who are good players, they want two-year contracts, on money we aren’t prepared to pay anyhow.

“I don’t want to commit the club to something, even if I’m not here, that I don’t think is right. If we can get something on a short-term contract, or even until the end of the season, then that’s a possibility, if they’re prepared to come and show us.

“Because if a player comes and shows you, you’re not going to let him go. So players should gamble more nowadays, rather than wanting guaranteed two years and this and that and the other. They are out of contract, so no one has been chasing them, have they? They haven’t been inundated with offers if they are still out of contract now.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Cardiff targeting short-term reinforcements

On free agents:

“We had a list yesterday of probably about 15 players. I have enquired about a couple of other players not on the list.

“When you get players, out of contract, who are good players, they want two-year contracts, on money we aren’t prepared to pay anyhow.

“I don’t want to commit the club to something, even if I’m not here, that I don’t think is right. If we can get something on a short-term contract, or even until the end of the season, then that’s a possibility, if they’re prepared to come and show us.

“Because if a player comes and shows you, you’re not going to let him go. So players should gamble more nowadays, rather than wanting guaranteed two years and this and that and the other. They are out of contract, so no one has been chasing them, have they? They haven’t been inundated with offers if they are still out of contract now.”

A work in progress?

“Absolutely.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Is Bobby Reid eligible to play?

“No, he wouldn’t get in anyhow would he at the moment? He’s on the bench most of the time.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Warnock on Paterson:

“Paterson has not done anything since. We had to play him in central midfield, we had no one else on the night, and he got a good work out. Once again, a couple of knocks, he does, doesn’t he? He gets knocks walking down the street, Pato, so he’s not trained since. We will see what he’s like this morning.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Warnock on Mendez-Laing:

“Mendez is a strange one really. He said he was 100 percent fit against Reading, but last half hour we had to put him out on the wing as a passenger and yet they said there was not much wrong with him. So we are looking at all the angles, medically, what’s caused this or what is it? So that’s why we are being extra cautious to keep him away, probably not involve him Friday, because then he’s got two more weeks and we can give him two weeks of training and make sure he’s right.

“Because if I’m honest I don’t think we know. It was a hamstring strain, we thought, but the x-ray doesn’t show anything up. So it’s a bit of a strange one really. He said he was fit but couldn’t sprint. So how could he be fit? It doesn’t make sense.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:26 pm

On Glatzel coming up against Mitrovic:

“You’re always looking at opponents, if you’re a striker, to see what they do.

“But Robert’s got attributes that Mitrovic hasn’t got. They’re all individuals. The holdup play Motrovic is expert at, how he gets his free-kicks and how he leaves his body in to come away with a free-kick when he’s really committing the foul.

“It’s an art, that’s what Robert’s got to learn, be a bit more streetwise.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Is it a good time to play Fulham after two losses?

Warnock: “I think Fulham, at home, whenever you play them, it’s going to be a cracking game.

“They’re going to have a lot of possession because that’s how they play. If they get chances that we’ve had, they’ll beat us, won’t they?

“Because we’ve got to hope that people like Robert (Glatzel) starts firing and the centre halves chip in at free-kicks. It’s time to stand up, really.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:29 pm

You need someone who will score double figures...

“Yeah we do, and we need contributions from most people as well. Even against Luton we had five or six chances they didn’t have. From a manager’s point of view you look at that and think, crikey. Against Huddersfield I thought we could have been four up and relaxing.

“We haven’t got clinical finishers at the moment and we have to work on that. We are top of the shots league in the whole league, by a long way. We’ve not been up there before.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:30 pm

'We haven’t got clinical finishers'

First goal will make a big difference?

“Every goalscorer thrives on scoring goals and he’ll be no different, but as long as he [Glatzel] keeps getting in positions… He’s a team player. He works his socks off. You’ve only got to look at his stats to realise he’s doing well apart from the end product.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:31 pm

'The whole team has let themselves down, really'

What’s your appraisal on Cardff’s defence?

“We need to help each other out. The first line of defending is the striker and the winger.

“The whole team has let themselves down really. The Wigan game and the Reading game, I did think there were reasons there, really.

“If we got back to 1-1 it would have been a different game but we fell apart. Apart from that, it’s getting that happy medium, really, not conceding. It was great at Blackburn, to have a clean sheet. I would loved to have won the game but it was great to have a clean sheet, because that’s what we’re going to need if we are going to move up the league.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Will losing to a promotion rival count in the final analysis?

“I don’t think about things like that. I only think about beating them at home, on our patch. If I thought about all the negatives, I wouldn’t sleep at night.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:34 pm

Difficult to replace?

“Yeah, crikey, Camarasa was a gem, really. You miss people like Bruno (Manga), I could see how Bruno played in my sleep.

“Yes, every four or five games he would give a square pass away but that’s the way it is. But I can’t fault Flinty, I don’t think he’s been to blame for what we’ve conceded, and Morrison has improved the last few games as well. So we’ve just got to hope to put more chances away. Also, by scoring, it takes away a bit from the defence.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:35 pm

On Harry Arter coming back...

“He’ll be back, trying his hardest. He was enthusiastic and really helped me, last-minute deadline job. But it’s opened the doors, with Bobby (Reid) going as well, (Victor) Camarasa has not got in the team at Palace, the grass isn’t always greener, is it?

“Who would have thought Tomlin would be back in the reckoning? Sometimes something crops up, nothing surprises you as a manager in football.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Joe Ralls vs Harry Arter

“I’m not sure Harry will be there, he’s been the defensive side a lot of the time. You look at (Tom) Cairney, I think he’s been probably the best midfielder, how he’s not going to the Premier League, but they’ve looked after him.

“He’s got an absolutely cracking contract and that’s what they’ve done, kept the real best players. I think it’s games like this where we can give it a go, with the fans behind us in a floodlit match. Nothing to lose. Let’s not give them presents, let’s be really difficult to break down.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:38 pm

Talk turns to Wales and England cricket

Thoughts on Warren Gatland?

“They’re number one aren’t they? You can’t do better than that. There’s a lot of managers who wish they are number one!

“He looks at what he is going to do in the future, plans his future, that’s what you have to do in sport. It’s tough (in Wales) as a manager, because everyone knows their job better than you. You go to Twickenham, like we went to Reading, and all of a sudden, oh, end of the world, what a bad side. Then a week later they are number one and Gatland, let’s knight him!

“But he’s a nice bloke, isn’t he? Fans have loved him and trusted him. Yes, he’s had critics since I’ve been here, but are they in a better place since he took over? Yes they are. Same as us, are we in a better place?”

On Ben Stokes and Jack Leach:

“Amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it. That’s a lesson for everyone really. Jack Leach, unbelievable as a No 11. The pressure that was on… It just shows the mentality.”

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Thank you Chris :thumbright: :bluebird: