Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF CITY KID GETTING CARDIFF CITY SUPPORTERS EXCITED

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:24 pm

The Cardiff City kid getting fans excited, the reason he's barely played and why you're now likely to see him more often
By Glen Williams

Cameron Coxe was a standout for the Bluebirds in the Carabao Cup defeat by the Hatters

While there were few positives to take out of Cardiff City's chastening defeat by Luton Town on Tuesday night, Cameron Coxe certainly gave some cause for optimism.

He looks a little raw and is, of course, wet behind the ears, but he showed yet more promise of what many Bluebirds hope is to come.

One of the enigmas surrounding City at the start of the season was just why we hadn't seen more of the 20-year-old Welshman, no more so than when Leandro Bacuna was deployed at right back against Reading.

While most fans will accept that Lee Peltier is first choice in that position, many have been crying out to see Coxe named on the bench or at least push the established right back for his position.

Coxe is a player who Neil Warnock has been working with extensively over the past few months after a mooted loan deal to Exeter City was eventually kiboshed when the League Two club deemed him too suspect defensively.

However, Warnock, and the 4,000 Cardiff City fans who were in attendance on Tuesday night, would strongly repute those claims, if only on the evidence of that Luton game.

He was tenacious and hungry and there was a willingness to be involved. He was caught out of position on a couple of occasions, but was smart enough to realise and quick enough to make amends.

In attack his pace proved a real asset which, if Warnock ever decides to employ a 5-3-2, would make him a perfect wing back. But there is work to do still and both the player and manager would attest to that.

Warnock was surprised that Exeter didn't take a punt on Coxe, but is now determined to make him a key part of the squad as the season wears on and the fixtures pile up.

The manager wants him to continue to improve on his defence, on which he is working tirelessly, before he pushes Peliter for that spot. But the club are mightily impressed by how much both Coxe and Ciaron Brown have improved in the last six months.

Warnock would like to have employed Brown at centre back, where he is more comfortable, but following the loan exit of Greg Cunningham, he felt it best the youngster had a run out at left back in case Joe Bennett falls foul of injuries.

The club believe that Coxe and Brown are topping the list of the most promising academy graduates and are likely to feature more regularly throughout the campaign.

With City fans crying out to see more academy lads become first-team mainstays, it appears Coxe, along with Brown, could be the next bright thing off the conveyor belt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CARDIFF CITY KID GETTING CARDIFF CITY SUPPORTERS EXCITED

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:11 pm

Brown was signed from Wealdstone last year to go in the Under 23 team, he wasn't from the Academy.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:19 pm

I didn’t see anybody getting that excited over two defenders after losing 3-0 to Luton Town.

Page filler article

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:29 pm

He's not a kid and I am not excited. That said, I hope he does well if he's called up to the first team in the future.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 pm

valleymodeller wrote:Brown was signed from Wealdstone last year to go in the Under 23 team, he wasn't from the Academy.

Lots teams get players from other clubs to put into academies then say they're from clubs academy ?

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:54 pm

Good luck to the lad but a lot of ifs buts and maybes imo

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Hopefully he can make the step up as pelts quite often picks up knocks and Jazz is forever injured, so we need cover at RB. I have never seen him play so no idea how good he is. Nice to see someone coming through the youth set up though.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:57 am

It would be nice to see ANYBODY from the academy make the 1st team!!

Our record for producing youngsters has not just been poor but virtually non existent over the past decade

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:08 am

I have seen Coxey play a few times for the U23 and the first team in the League Cup. I would say that concerns about his defensive attributes are fair but fixable.

However, I have always been impressed by his leadership, pace and attacking prowess. Obviously he is no Gareth Bale but you do get the feeling that like Bale (who was initially a full-back) CC should be pushed further forward as that seems to be more of a natural position for him.

I saw him play in a wide right attacking guise against Bristol City and he was brilliant. :thumbup:

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:06 pm

One bad game and he’ll be bombed out

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Hope he gets a few opportunities this year as Pelts is 33-34 now and id be surprised if he can play a full 46 game campaign without fatigue/Injury etc. Be nice to see Coxe get an opportunity before Jazz, Nelson, or Bacuna at RB.