Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Goalkeeping dilemma

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:57 pm

Smithies, another player judged after a few games when he was injured last year. Rusty when he came in but now looks assured, good kicking and a decent keeper. I love etheridge but also believe in players retaining the shirt, he’s not going to give it up easily. Does etheridge come straight back in? Am not so sure he will.

Re: Goalkeeping dilemma

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:09 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Smithies, another player judged after a few games when he was injured last year. Rusty when he came in but now looks assured, good kicking and a decent keeper. I love etheridge but also believe in players retaining the shirt, he’s not going to give it up easily. Does etheridge come straight back in? Am not so sure he will.

I think he has to come back in.

Only lost his place because he was injured not due to loss of form and whilst Smithies has been ok he's not really been so good that he has to retain his place.

I'd much rather the only keeper who hasn't let a goal in this season be back between the sticks! ;)

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:02 pm

He’s a muck better keep’ when fit he will retain his place as our number one!

We would have least two more points if he had been playing!!

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:08 pm

I think Smithies is the better all round keeper and should keep his place.

Who is better:

Shot stopping - Etheridge
Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

People have a overrated opinion of Etheridge because he had a good season 2 years ago and made some brilliant saves in the premier league which looked good on tv.
The reality is his all round game is pretty poor and people forget it was only 18 months ago he was dropped as #1 in the league for Brian Murphy. He makes too many mistakes for me and I feel a lot more confident in our defence with Smithies in goal

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:19 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think Smithies is the better all round keeper and should keep his place.

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

People have a overrated opinion of Etheridge because he had a good season 2 years ago and made some brilliant saves in the premier league which looked good on tv.
The reality is his all round game is pretty poor and people forget it was only 18 months ago he was dropped as #1 in the league for Brian Murphy. He makes too many mistakes for me and I feel a lot more confident in our defence with Smithies in goal

dropped for 1 game..?
he was ill.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:51 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think Smithies is the better all round keeper and should keep his place.

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

I disagree Etheridge is better at everything their other than kicking. Which he should use his long throw for instead a lot of time.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:18 am

sounds like Etheridge wont be back until christmas to be honest, and then come january, i can see either smithies or day going out, either on loan or smithies sold. and murphy being given an extended contract until the end of the season

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:27 am

phildavies wrote:

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

I disagree Etheridge is better at everything their other than kicking. Which he should use his long throw for instead a lot of time.

Really ?

Etheridge couldn't catch a cold that is why he always opts to punch away, his kicking is awful, his distribution is non existent and his communication skills are evident to see by the amount of arguments he has with his centre backs and all the mix ups we used to get in defence. That has stopped now Smithies is in goal.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:12 am

A lot can happen until Etheridge is ready to return,but I am in favour that you got to earn your place so it’s Smithies at the moment for me.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:41 am

I've been impressed with Smithies, nice to see a keeper kicking and actually aiming for a player and getting it to them.

Have to see how he does the next few weeks to decide who plays once Etheridge is back.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:55 am

Etheridge is by far the better keeper.

When he’s fit he plays simple

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:02 pm

deadmouse wrote:

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

dropped for 1 game..?
he was ill.

Incredible isnt it?

Etheridge has been one of our stand out players and biggest improvers the past 2 seasons and now he's getting ripped apart during an injury.

Who needs enemy's huh? Its a strange mentality some fans have I have to say, Bennett seem's to be one for the moaners to rip into aswell.

Ps, welcome back if I have read between the lines correctly and you're who I think you are :thumbup:

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:08 pm

RV Casual wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

dropped for 1 game..?
he was ill.

Incredible isnt it?

Etheridge has been one of our stand out players and biggest improvers the past 2 seasons and now he's getting ripped apart during an injury.

Who needs enemy's huh? Its a strange mentality some fans have I have to say, Bennett seem's to be one for the moaners to rip into aswell.

Ps, welcome back if I have read between the lines correctly and you're who I think you are :thumbup:

He was not Ill he was just playing poorly, he makes some great saves which make him look a top keeper but he also makes a lot of mistakes.
He like most of this squad are bog standard championship players . Smithies is the better all round keeper and should keep his place

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:08 pm

RV Casual wrote:
deadmouse wrote:

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

dropped for 1 game..?
he was ill.

Incredible isnt it?

Was always Ralls as a scapegoat but they have shut up now he is playing so well.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:14 pm

thomasblue wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

Really ?

Etheridge couldn't catch a cold that is why he always opts to punch away, his kicking is awful, his distribution is non existent and his communication skills are evident to see by the amount of arguments he has with his centre backs and all the mix ups we used to get in defence. That has stopped now Smithies is in goal.

What the hell are you on about saying the mix ups have stopped. If anything they’ve been worse

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:26 am

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

Oh dear, you dont half have a strange opinions but you do have your opinion.
Etheridge has been a standout player for 2 seasons here and was one of the better keepers in the PL

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:41 am

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

I disagree, from what I've seen the only thing I can say that smithies is better than ethbridge at is distribution. He's decent tho

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 pm

phildavies wrote:

Who is better:

Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

Coming from someone who rates Day over Smithies ill take your analysis with a pinch of salt.

If it was no id probably bring Etheridge back in, but Smithies probably has the next 3/4 games to make his case.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:08 pm

I still stick by that we should have had smithies as number 1 and tried to get 7-10m for Etheridge if possible to invest in midfield.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Llan_Blue wrote:Etheridge is by far the better keeper.

When he’s fit he plays simple

Exactly we've looked worse since Etheridge has been injured, the relationship between keeper and defence is important, when Etheridge comes back we will have a much better defensive record, and score more points per game!

Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:29 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I still stick by that we should have had smithies as number 1 and tried to get 7-10m for Etheridge if possible to invest in midfield.

Totally disagree, we've looked dodgy at the back without the confidence that Etheridge provides the defenders!

Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I still stick by that we should have had smithies as number 1 and tried to get 7-10m for Etheridge if possible to invest in midfield.

Totally disagree, we've looked dodgy at the back without the confidence that Etheridge provides the defenders!

I don't think Etheridge playing will make Flint or Morrison any faster.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:02 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

No, but they will have more confidence that Etheridge will come for crosses quicker and may act as a sweeper for balls in between them and him!

Smithies is OK, but Etheridge is better, why would anyone want to weaken the team through choice?

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

No, but they will have more confidence that Etheridge will come for crosses quicker and may act as a sweeper for balls in between them and him!

Smithies is OK, but Etheridge is better, why would anyone want to weaken the team through choice?

I really want to know what Neil Etheridge you watch because he sounds like he should be at Real Madrid not Cardiff.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I really want to know what Neil Etheridge you watch because he sounds like he should be at Real Madrid not Cardiff.

What on Earth are you on about? Etheridge comes out for more balls than Smithies does and is far faster on his feet. That doesn’t mean he’s world class it just means he’s faster

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:21 pm

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

What on Earth are you on about? Etheridge comes out for more balls than Smithies does and is far faster on his feet. That doesn’t mean he’s world class it just means he’s faster

Etheridge is a flapper
Cant remember the last time he came out and actually caught a ball rather than punch it.
Smithies seems very quick to me and has not put a foot wrong since hes taken the #1 position.
Etheridge will struggle to get his place back and rightly so if Smithies keeps up the solid displays

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:45 pm

thomasblue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Etheridge is a flapper
Cant remember the last time he came out and actually caught a ball rather than punch it.
Smithies seems very quick to me and has not put a foot wrong since hes taken the #1 position.
Etheridge will struggle to get his place back and rightly so if Smithies keeps up the solid displays

Ha ha I don't know what game you are watching but Etheridge will take his place back as soon as he's fit, I think Warnock knows a bit more than you :thumbup:

Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:38 pm

Bluebina wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Etheridge is a flapper

Ha ha I don't know what game you are watching but Etheridge will take his place back as soon as he's fit, I think Warnock knows a bit more than you :thumbup:

Warnock has proven over the years that if you play well you keep your place. It's always been his style of management as proven here at Cardiff. It doesn't matter how much they paid for someone , you fight for a first team spot and Smithies at the moment deserves his

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:06 am

thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Etheridge is a flapper

Warnock has proven over the years that if you play well you keep your place. It's always been his style of management as proven here at Cardiff. It doesn't matter how much they paid for someone , you fight for a first team spot and Smithies at the moment deserves his

He does, unless a better player becomes available, when Etheridge is fit he comes back in you'll see!

I like Smithies he's a decent player, but Etheridge is probably the best keeper in the Championship.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:33 pm

Bluebina wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Etheridge is a flapper

He does, unless a better player becomes available, when Etheridge is fit he comes back in you'll see!

I like Smithies he's a decent player, but Etheridge is probably the best keeper in the Championship.

So a guy who sat on the bench for the first 8 years of his career before hitting the heights of league 1 with Walsall is all of a sudden the best keeper in the championship ?
Hes not even the best keeper at the club !

I think Scott Carson, Thomas kuszach , Jack Butland , Pascal pantillimon , kieron Westwood, David Bentley and Kiko Cassilla would also disagree with you.