Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Goalkeeping dilemma

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:03 am

Totally disagree, we've looked dodgy at the back without the confidence that Etheridge provides the defenders![/quote]

I don't think Etheridge playing will make Flint or Morrison any faster.[/quote]

No, but they will have more confidence that Etheridge will come for crosses quicker and may act as a sweeper for balls in between them and him!

Smithies is OK, but Etheridge is better, why would anyone want to weaken the team through choice?[/quote]

I really want to know what Neil Etheridge you watch because he sounds like he should be at Real Madrid not Cardiff.[/quote]

What on Earth are you on about? Etheridge comes out for more balls than Smithies does and is far faster on his feet. That doesn’t mean he’s world class it just means he’s faster[/quote]

Etheridge is a flapper
Cant remember the last time he came out and actually caught a ball rather than punch it.
Smithies seems very quick to me and has not put a foot wrong since hes taken the #1 position.
Etheridge will struggle to get his place back and rightly so if Smithies keeps up the solid displays[/quote]

Ha ha I don't know what game you are watching but Etheridge will take his place back as soon as he's fit, I think Warnock knows a bit more than you :thumbup:[/quote]

Warnock has proven over the years that if you play well you keep your place. It's always been his style of management as proven here at Cardiff. It doesn't matter how much they paid for someone , you fight for a first team spot and Smithies at the moment deserves his[/quote]

He does, unless a better player becomes available, when Etheridge is fit he comes back in you'll see!

I like Smithies he's a decent player, but Etheridge is probably the best keeper in the Championship.[/quote]

So a guy who sat on the bench for the first 8 years of his career before hitting the heights of league 1 with Walsall is all of a sudden the best keeper in the championship ?
Hes not even the best keeper at the club !

I think Scott Carson, Thomas kuszach , Jack Butland , Pascal pantillimon , kieron Westwood, David Bentley and Kiko Cassilla would also disagree with you.[/quote]

Quit now before you make a bigger fool of yourself :thumbup:

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Totally disagree, we've looked dodgy at the back without the confidence that Etheridge provides the defenders!

I don't think Etheridge playing will make Flint or Morrison any faster.[/quote]

No, but they will have more confidence that Etheridge will come for crosses quicker and may act as a sweeper for balls in between them and him!

Smithies is OK, but Etheridge is better, why would anyone want to weaken the team through choice?[/quote]

I really want to know what Neil Etheridge you watch because he sounds like he should be at Real Madrid not Cardiff.[/quote]

What on Earth are you on about? Etheridge comes out for more balls than Smithies does and is far faster on his feet. That doesn’t mean he’s world class it just means he’s faster[/quote]

Etheridge is a flapper
Cant remember the last time he came out and actually caught a ball rather than punch it.
Smithies seems very quick to me and has not put a foot wrong since hes taken the #1 position.
Etheridge will struggle to get his place back and rightly so if Smithies keeps up the solid displays[/quote]

Ha ha I don't know what game you are watching but Etheridge will take his place back as soon as he's fit, I think Warnock knows a bit more than you :thumbup:[/quote]

Warnock has proven over the years that if you play well you keep your place. It's always been his style of management as proven here at Cardiff. It doesn't matter how much they paid for someone , you fight for a first team spot and Smithies at the moment deserves his[/quote]

He does, unless a better player becomes available, when Etheridge is fit he comes back in you'll see!

I like Smithies he's a decent player, but Etheridge is probably the best keeper in the Championship.[/quote]

So a guy who sat on the bench for the first 8 years of his career before hitting the heights of league 1 with Walsall is all of a sudden the best keeper in the championship ?
Hes not even the best keeper at the club !

I think Scott Carson, Thomas kuszach , Jack Butland , Pascal pantillimon , kieron Westwood, David Bentley and Kiko Cassilla would also disagree with you.[/quote]

Quit now before you make a bigger fool of yourself :thumbup:[/quote]

Good retort

No input or reason to explain why Etheridge would be rated as better than any of the keepers mentioned just a silly little comment

The truth is Etheridge is a bog standard championship keeper and nowhere near the best in this league

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:02 pm

RV Casual wrote:
deadmouse wrote:
thomasblue wrote:I think Smithies is the better all round keeper and should keep his place.

Who is better:

Shot stopping - Etheridge
Catching - Smithies
Kicking - Smithies
Distribution - Smithies
Communication - Smithies

People have a overrated opinion of Etheridge because he had a good season 2 years ago and made some brilliant saves in the premier league which looked good on tv.
The reality is his all round game is pretty poor and people forget it was only 18 months ago he was dropped as #1 in the league for Brian Murphy. He makes too many mistakes for me and I feel a lot more confident in our defence with Smithies in goal

dropped for 1 game..?
he was ill.

Incredible isnt it?

Etheridge has been one of our stand out players and biggest improvers the past 2 seasons and now he's getting ripped apart during an injury.

Who needs enemy's huh? Its a strange mentality some fans have I have to say, Bennett seem's to be one for the moaners to rip into aswell.

Ps, welcome back if I have read between the lines correctly and you're who I think you are :thumbup:

good spot thanks.. although not so obvious to some.

as for the thread I cant get my head around the extent this fella wants to go Etheridge knocking.
as for Bennett didn't he turn down Fulham ?.. counts for nothing with some.

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:00 pm

Ok here's my retort,

Scott Carson, on loan to Man City as nowhere near Derby side.
Tomasz Kuszczak, think he has left Birmingham as nowhere to be seen.
Jack Butland, first team goalie at bottom of the table Stoke and well past his best.
Costel Pantilimon, maybe injured as not in Forest squad.
Kieron Westwood, recently back in the Wednesday squad and number 1 at present.
David Bentley, just moved to Bristol City as number 1
Kiko Cassilla, number 1 at Leeds at present.

Imo none are better than NE and it looks like you are the only one who has that opinion, but it looks like either you simply have an agenda or you simply have no idea as this ain't even close.
I'd say you it is the latter if I had to bet on one

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:04 am

I’d say they’re on par pretty much.
Warnock will bring Etheridge back in though so this debate is pointless.

Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:05 am

Charlie Harper wrote:I think Scott Carson, Thomas kuszach , Jack Butland , Pascal pantillimon , kieron Westwood, David Bentley and Kiko Cassilla would also disagree with you.

Ok here's my retort,

Scott Carson, on loan to Man City as nowhere near Derby side.
Tomasz Kuszczak, think he has left Birmingham as nowhere to be seen.
Jack Butland, first team goalie at bottom of the table Stoke and well past his best.
Costel Pantilimon, maybe injured as not in Forest squad.
Kieron Westwood, recently back in the Wednesday squad and number 1 at present.
David Bentley, just moved to Bristol City as number 1
Kiko Cassilla, number 1 at Leeds at present.

Imo none are better than NE and it looks like you are the only one who has that opinion, but it looks like either you simply have an agenda or you simply have no idea as this ain't even close.
I'd say you it is the latter if I had to bet on one[/quote]

The Leeds scummer is decent but apart from that...