Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Tomlin hit or miss?

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm

Standing ovation, glimpses of quality, thought he moved the ball well against Huddersfield and didn’t see ball against Fulham. Can’t comment on Blackburn.

Early days, but straight to the point and I know our fans are going to give him some leeway as a lot feel he is the creative player we need. Can and will he deliver for us consistently? Am not so sure he fits a Neil Warnock team but we do for sure need creativity.

Hoilett also looks a good option at 10, makes sense as he is good with feet and clever and hasn’t the pace to be as effective on wing.

Thoughts?

Re: Tomlin hit or miss?

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Stringfellow wrote:Standing ovation, glimpses of quality, thought he moved the ball well against Huddersfield and didn’t see ball against Fulham. Can’t comment on Blackburn.

Early days, but straight to the point and I know our fans are going to give him some leeway as a lot feel he is the creative player we need. Can and will he deliver for us consistently? Am not so sure he fits a Neil Warnock team but we do for sure need creativity.

Hoilett also looks a good option at 10, makes sense as he is good with feet and clever and hasn’t the pace to be as effective on wing.

Thoughts?

I think he has to play when fit. Offers that something different and it’s important to realise that opponents fear this type of player and instantly gets one of their midfielders to keep their eye on him.

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:25 pm

Would probably be of more use if we played the ball to his feet and break the line when passing to him, instead they ignore him at times and tend to build all our attacks from the wing.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:20 am

Didn’t have the best game on Friday but his creativity was there to see. He played some nice passes through the defence that our players didn’t pick up on. Once the connection between him and the front three gets there he will shine more.

There is no one in our team with the “footballing brain” he has

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:02 pm

I desperately want him to be the answer as a footballerless team is a chore if you are not winning or challenging. But, I couldn't believe how slow he was on Friday. As a fully paid up member of the Whitts Is (was) god club, i love footballers but unless he adapts his game and starts being more of a CM and set the tempo and get the ball to Murphy and NML earlier with a bit of sympathy on the pass I'd rather Vaulks or Ralls.

We are effectively playing 1950's 424 at the moment and getting murdered in midfield.

So for me a miss....Regrettably.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:Would probably be of more use if we played the ball to his feet and break the line when passing to him, instead they ignore him at times and tend to build all our attacks from the wing.

^^^^^this^^

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:31 pm

I bet warnock wishes he’d kept tomlin on when arter went off

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Think he should only start games where the tactics are to win the game instead of Warnock going in saying we’re the underdogs, set up badly for him otherwise.

Think he would then be a good option off the bench against the harder teams to catch them off guard

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:06 pm

Put him in eg the Fulham team with Glatzel and they’d be a hit.

Basically he needs room and possession type football.

Everything good about City is largely dependant on Tomlin. He does stuff nobody else can do. That set up for Glatzel when he was thwarted by a great save was class. He’s so starved of the ball but he is key to our season.

I really hope he is persevered with. City need him.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:47 am

How unfit was Tomlinson if what we see is the fittest he has been ? He still looks to be blowing out of his backside after 60 mins
If we can get a great 60mins from him I have no issues . As yet I think he has been average and as we have all been crying out for creativity and think we believe he has done more than he actually has so far

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:43 am

Needs more time to prove a hit or miss yet, he's been outstanding at times and a bit lost other times. He'll only get fitter and sharper as the games go by.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Couple of good moments, very few and far between, poor against Fulham.

Some of the fans around me though clap him for anything :lol: It shows how disappointing this window has been that Warnock has had to play him and you sense from his comments he wouldn't if he had other options.