Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " General Election "

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Its almost certain it will be a hung parliament then what? Only option then is for a new referendum and leave win then what? Already rejected a deal cannot go back say we will accept previous deal! Idiot mps dont have a fcking clue, :roll:

I am taking anecdotal view here but at a guess I would think the Tories would happy with the same result as 2017. The difference this time would be they have rid themselves of 21 remain Tory MP's. Along with a new confidence and supply agreement with the DUP they would just have the numbers to get a no deal (or any negotiated deal with the EU) through Parliament.

Yes maybe right but can they garauntee the 21 replacements will be in boris camp? I understand it's the local cons who select candidates so may not get 21 supporters of boris, . But he can only call election and deal with whatever arrives .... but at end day cannot see a majority for either party so leaving exactly where w are now?

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 am

troobloo3339 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Gavin wrote:The ironic thing is, it will now be Agent Corbyn who will block a GE so his party doesnt get wiped out by the public....

Said tonight he'll support it as soon as the bill is passed.

Quite right but don't let the facts get in the way of a bit of Corbyn bashing :roll: :lol:

Boris is an upper class buffoon only out for himself and his upper class chums and I'm not sure Corbyn could lead a class of school kids let alone the country.

However, when it comes to being trustworthy and doing something for the greater good rather than himself I would take Corbyn over Boris everytime.

Let's get the bill passed to ensure Boris can't change the date of the election once it's been set and then see what the country votes for.

Seems pretty simply to me. Boris and his chums for "no deal leave" and everyone else against that.

I think the Tories will get in because the anti-no deal vote will be split across a number of other parties but I don't think anybody would place much money on any outcome at the moment !!
i take it you voted remain then

I did but I'm not for another referendum. I think the country voted to leave and we should do so now but WITH A DEAL as that was the only scenario discussed at referendum time. It's even too late to formerly agree on WTO terms before the 31/10/2019 now !!

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:27 am

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Its almost certain it will be a hung parliament then what? Only option then is for a new referendum and leave win then what? Already rejected a deal cannot go back say we will accept previous deal! Idiot mps dont have a fcking clue, :roll:

I am taking anecdotal view here but at a guess I would think the Tories would happy with the same result as 2017. The difference this time would be they have rid themselves of 21 remain Tory MP's. Along with a new confidence and supply agreement with the DUP they would just have the numbers to get a no deal (or any negotiated deal with the EU) through Parliament.

Yes maybe right but can they garauntee the 21 replacements will be in boris camp? I understand it's the local cons who select candidates so may not get 21 supporters of boris, . But he can only call election and deal with whatever arrives .... but at end day cannot see a majority for either party so leaving exactly where w are now?

Short answer is it cannot be guaranteed that the 21 replacements will be Boris supporting no deal leavers. However, the odds are that the vast majority will be leave leaning as Tory constituency parties are heavily in support of leave. There are also about a dozen Labour MP's including John Mann etc who can also be relied on to vote for no deal/BREXIT.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:37 am

piledriver64 wrote:
I did but I'm not for another referendum. I think the country voted to leave and we should do so now but WITH A DEAL as that was the only scenario discussed at referendum time. It's even too late to formerly agree on WTO terms before the 31/10/2019 now !!

During the referendum a TRADE DEAL was discussed and almost certainly one day there will be a TRADE DEAL. However, what is going on at the moment has nothing to do with a trade deal it is a WITHDRAWAL DEAL/AGREEMENT. Can you honestly hand on heart ever remember the remain side claiming that we needed a WITHDRAWAL DEAL before a TRADE DEAL?

The EU manufactured this situation by insisting that we negotiate a WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT/DEAL before we negotiate a TRADE DEAL. What should have happened was either the TRADE DEAL was thrashed out first or a TRADE DEAL and WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT/DEAL thrashed out at the same time. That way all this nonsense about the Irish boarder etc. would never have risen and we would also know exactly what we were getting in exchange for £39billion.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:03 am

BORIS is only doing NOW what should have happened YEARS ago

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Short answer is it cannot be guaranteed that the 21 replacements will be Boris supporting no deal leavers. However, the odds are that the vast majority will be leave leaning as Tory constituency parties are heavily in support of leave. There are also about a dozen Labour MP's including John Mann etc who can also be relied on to vote for no deal/BREXIT.

Only 2 Labour MP's voted against the bill last night. Kate Hoey is standing down and I'd be surprised if John Mann is still there to be honest. The rest went with the ultimate policy of blocking Brexit altogether. Labour are a full on remain party, bar a few exceptions, they always were.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:08 am

pembroke allan wrote:

I think you're both dead wrong with your assessment of where the Tory party is right now.You must remember that it was Cameron's effort to placate a sizable but nevertheless MINORITY section of the tories that's led to this impass.The ERG as its known is not typical of your average tory and that's why as a minority of its own party its having such trouble forcing through a no-deal brexit.A lot of the MP's who had the whip withdrawn yesterday are regarded as heavyweight Tories and it won't as easy to replace them with Boris voting yes men.For many the future of the tories is as much at stake here as the all devouring brexit issue.I believe getting rid of those MP's will come back to haunt him because if nothing else Boris has demonstrated that he cannot unite the wider Conservative Party behind him so I believe his days are already numbered.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:11 am

troobloo3339 wrote:The bill corbyn is talking about is the one to stop no deal
Nothing to do with date of the general election
Yesterday corbyn demaded a general election in any circmstances
Now boris will call one and 5h3 labour party will not vote for it
Wake up man all these dishonest mps are hiding the fact they want to STOP BREXIT by calling for no deal to be taken off the table

My understanding (which maybe wrong) is JC will back a GE once the bill taking no deal off the table is passed. Also I think that once this bill passes the UK will enter a kind of backstop where Article 50 extensions happen automatically if a deal with the EU cannot be negotiated i.e. the UK becomes a vassal state of the EU.

I agree with you MP's are trying to stop BREXIT end of.

Yes that's right. At the moment Boris can say the election date is prior to the Brexit date but once they've fixed it he change it without going back to Parliamnet therefore forcing a No Deal exit.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:14 am

piledriver64 wrote:

During the referendum a TRADE DEAL was discussed and almost certainly one day there will be a TRADE DEAL. However, what is going on at the moment has nothing to do with a trade deal it is a WITHDRAWAL DEAL/AGREEMENT. Can you honestly hand on heart ever remember the remain side claiming that we needed a WITHDRAWAL DEAL before a TRADE DEAL?

The EU manufactured this situation by insisting that we negotiate a WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT/DEAL before we negotiate a TRADE DEAL. What should have happened was either the TRADE DEAL was thrashed out first or a TRADE DEAL and WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT/DEAL thrashed out at the same time. That way all this nonsense about the Irish boarder etc. would never have risen and we would also know exactly what we were getting in exchange for £39billion.

I absolutely agree that we have been out manouvered by the EU on this but we now have to try and rescue the situation for the good of the UK.

Despite Farage and Boris's bluster everyone knows that no deal will be risky at best, and disastrous at worse.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:26 am

Question to those saying to vote for the brexit party, what happens if they win outright?
Assuming they make us leave immediately what would the next 4 years look like?
What will happen to schools, hospitals, policing, transport, housing etc aka everything apart from brexit?

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:41 am

piledriver64 wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
Gavin wrote:The ironic thing is, it will now be Agent Corbyn who will block a GE so his party doesnt get wiped out by the public....

Quite right but don't let the facts get in the way of a bit of Corbyn bashing :roll: :lol:

Boris is an upper class buffoon only out for himself and his upper class chums and I'm not sure Corbyn could lead a class of school kids let alone the country.

However, when it comes to being trustworthy and doing something for the greater good rather than himself I would take Corbyn over Boris everytime.

Let's get the bill passed to ensure Boris can't change the date of the election once it's been set and then see what the country votes for.

Seems pretty simply to me. Boris and his chums for "no deal leave" and everyone else against that.

I think the Tories will get in because the anti-no deal vote will be split across a number of other parties but I don't think anybody would place much money on any outcome at the moment !!

Thats great and i dont really disagree with you, but how do you get a deal now?

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:11 am

paulh_85 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
troobloo3339 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Thats great and i dont really disagree with you, but how do you get a deal now?

Unfortunately, due to the incompetence of our negotiators, the only way we can do it is to ask for a further extension as has been included in the bill.

Frustrating for all sides of the argument but, in my opinion, the only way we can negotiate an exit and minimise the risk to both us and the EU.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:15 am

CCFCJosh75 wrote:Question to those saying to vote for the brexit party, what happens if they win outright?
Assuming they make us leave immediately what would the next 4 years look like?
What will happen to schools, hospitals, policing, transport, housing etc aka everything apart from brexit?

The same thing that happens under all Governments whatever colour they are, schools, hospitals, policing, transport, housing etc will be underfunded and the working class will get poorer, but at least we will be out of Europe. :occasion5:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:16 am

piledriver64 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:

Upper class chums :lol:

So Millionaire Corbyn is a man of the people? Labour don’t represent the working class, I fact they loathe and despise them, they are the party of the middle class chattering classes.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:19 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Following his defeat in Parliament tonight, the Prime Minister has announced that he will table a motion under the fixed term parliament act.

This means there will be a vote by MPs on whether to hold a General Election.

If an election takes place, October 15th looks the most likely date.

I cannot see anyway that the Government will win the vote to hold a General Election because turkeys don't vote for Christmas and a GE at this time will bring certainly bring Christmas early for many current MP's.

In my opinion yesterdays events in Parliament only go to show how far detached from reality the rodents that currently infest the House Of Commons are from the British people. I believe the vast majority want Brexit over and done with, one way or another, but the rodents have had 3 opportunities to agree to support a "Deal" with the EU but voted it down, now they are seeking to delay leaving the EU for god knows how long. It simply beggers belief.

Comrade Corbyn has been the Chief architect of this chaos in my opinion and his motion calling for Parliament to "Take Control" only goes to show his ignorance of the UK Constitution. Parliament is not the "Sovereign Body" in the UK the real power is "The Crown In Parliament".

Even if this bill passes all it's stages in Parliament it will still require "Royal Assent" before it becomes law. We have seen so many twists and turn in this whole saga does anyone think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Boris Johnson would advise the Queen to refuse to grant Royal Assent because it is preventing completing the democratic decision of the British people as represented by the EU Referendum in 2016. It may be over 300 years since a Monarch refused to grant Royal Assent but normal practice is for the Monarch to take the advice of her Government, or her Prime Minister in particular. I can see Boris Johnson giving the Queen such advice.

Loads more twists and turns to come I think.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:19 am

piledriver64 wrote:
Unfortunately, due to the incompetence of our negotiators, the only way we can do it is to ask for a further extension as has been included in the bill.

Frustrating for all sides of the argument but, in my opinion, the only way we can negotiate an exit and minimise the risk to both us and the EU.

But surely there has to be a limit to the amount of extensions? The EU are happy to extend as they still receive our contributions and we are side lined from decision making. There has to be a line drawn the sand because to continue to as a vassal state will eventually cause much more of a loss than a no deal BREXIT.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:27 am

castleblue wrote:I cannot see anyway that the Government will win the vote to hold a General Election because turkeys don't vote for Christmas and a GE at this time will bring certainly bring Christmas early for many current MP's.

In my opinion yesterdays events in Parliament only go to show how far detached from reality the rodents that currently infest the House Of Commons are from the British people. I believe the vast majority want Brexit over and done with, one way or another, but the rodents have had 3 opportunities to agree to support a "Deal" with the EU but voted it down, now they are seeking to delay leaving the EU for god knows how long. It simply beggers belief.

Comrade Corbyn has been the Chief architect of this chaos in my opinion and his motion calling for Parliament to "Take Control" only goes to show his ignorance of the UK Constitution. Parliament is not the "Sovereign Body" in the UK the real power is "The Crown In Parliament".

Even if this bill passes all it's stages in Parliament it will still require "Royal Assent" before it becomes law. We have seen so many twists and turn in this whole saga does anyone think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Boris Johnson would advise the Queen to refuse to grant Royal Assent because it is preventing completing the democratic decision of the British people as represented by the EU Referendum in 2016. It may be over 300 years since a Monarch refused to grant Royal Assent but normal practice is for the Monarch to take the advice of her Government, or her Prime Minister in particular. I can see Boris Johnson giving the Queen such advice.

What an interesting post? It is amazing to think that the Government of the day has no majority and the opposition doesn't want to vote it down!!!!

His tactic seems to be to delay the legislation until after we leave the EU on 31 October. You wouldn't put it past Boris to go on holiday, develop man flu and then say he can't get to the Palace to see the Queen because his limo's MOT has run out ;) Only for everything to get fixed on the 1 November :laughing6:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 am

piledriver64 wrote:

But surely there has to be a limit to the amount of extensions? The EU are happy to extend as they still receive our contributions and we are side lined from decision making. There has to be a line drawn the sand because to continue to as a vassal state will eventually cause much more of a loss than a no deal BREXIT.

As long as we stay in Europe we'll still turn a net profit and collect more taxes as well.Best hang on for the best possible deal.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 am

piledriver64 wrote:

The EU wants us to extend long enough for the Remoaners to win and cancel Brexit, or give us no deal and make it as tough as possible if we do leave, they are using us to put off other countries trying to leave!

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:32 am

Jock wrote:
So Millionaire Corbyn is a man of the people? Labour don’t represent the working class, I fact they loathe and despise them, they are the party of the middle class chattering classes.

I'm not sure Corbyn is a millionaire (he nearly went bankrupt once) but without doubt he lives comfortably and has none of the uncertain worries most real working class people have.

I agree the LP has been hi-jacked by a new class of liberal elitists and those people have nothing in common with me.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:38 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:As long as we stay in Europe we'll still turn a net profit and collect more taxes as well.Best hang on for the best possible deal.

Not sure what you mean by 'net profit' :? but as a vassal state we will be excluded from all the real decision making (even if we keep a place on the European Commission) and we will not receive any new funding from the EU despite still paying in to the EU coffers. That means our NET contribution will increase significantly year on year.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:45 am

Not too sure the socialists will vote to agree an election. They’re running scared of putting the Marxist in front of the people as the man to run the country (with his fellow Marxist McDonell and the ludicrous Abbott). Best for them to see this out, eject the Marxists and bring in a centrist socialist like Blair (that’s if why have one amongst the assorted mix that sit opposite the government).

The problem for BJ is not those in opposition but the renegade Tory MPs who were elected on a manifesto to leave the EU.

This talk of there being no leaving with it without a deal on the referendum ballot paper is nonsense. It was a binary choice. To say otherwise now is insulting to the electorate who voted 3 years ago.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:47 am

Danny Says wrote:Not too sure the socialists will vote to agree an election. They’re running scared of putting the Marxist in front of the people as the man to run the country (with his fellow Marxist McDonell and the ludicrous Abbott). Best for them to see this out, eject the Marxists and bring in a centrist socialist like Blair (that’s if they have one amongst the assorted mix that sit opposite the government).

The problem for BJ is not those in opposition but the renegade Tory MPs who were elected on a manifesto to leave the EU but have now won’t act on the manifesto.

This talk of there being no leaving with it without a deal on the referendum ballot paper is nonsense. It was a binary choice. To say otherwise now is insulting to the electorate who voted 3 years ago.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am

So what's wrong with being a Marxist? Has anyone read Marx? When is it so right to be so right wing .

I used to really dislike certain tories and what they told for, but now people like Soames, Ken Clarke and others seem to be the epitome of old school conservatism and decent chaps compared to the complete rabble in the current cabinet. I mean, Gove, Patel, Javed and others? We just need some decency, and the best policy would be to have a united government draw from both sides, a sort of Brexit coalition to stand united for the UK. Don\t forget that Scottish woman wants to break up the UK, as to the Irish republicans, it's just us Welsh that are a bit apathetic!

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 am

This will be the first election where i won't be voting labour. Voting tory or Brexit party in a GE will taste bitter, but not as bitter as my thoughts of labour. They have lost it. The party of the working class went years ago, but the veneer has worn out and there true colours are for all to see. They are metropolitan wannabe middle class party.

I did think that Corbyn was keeping them real and his political compass however divisive with his socialist views still kept him close to the labour voters needs rather than just the labour party. He has lost that battle.

I genuinely think they (labour) are in for a rude awakening. Owen Smith (pontypridd) has a massive majority so my one vote doesn't matter, but in closer marginals it will. The working class may switch to Brexit or even the tories and the middle classes the lib dems.

I have seen South Wales lose all its industrial strength and power over the last 30 years under both the Tories and labour central governments so my MP has little affect over my environment or world view.

I wish all the MP's would have the balls to say what they really want. I wish they would have a vote to abolish Article 50 and lets see who really votes for it. I doubt a 100 would vote for that. You could probably name them, the other 500 sheep don't know what they want, they just want to be MP's.

Labour don't want a no deal
Labour don't want a deal, they rejected the EU/Government one three times
So labour must want to remain in the EU, that is fine, now you have the power, vote on it !!!!!!!!!

They won't they are cowards.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:10 pm

llan bluebird wrote:This will be the first election where i won't be voting labour. Voting tory or Brexit party in a GE will taste bitter, but not as bitter as my thoughts of labour. They have lost it. The party of the working class went years ago, but the veneer has worn out and there true colours are for all to see. They are metropolitan wannabe middle class party.

I did think that Corbyn was keeping them real and his political compass however divisive with his socialist views still kept him close to the labour voters needs rather than just the labour party. He has lost that battle.

I genuinely think they (labour) are in for a rude awakening. Owen Smith (pontypridd) has a massive majority so my one vote doesn't matter, but in closer marginals it will. The working class may switch to Brexit or even the tories and the middle classes the lib dems.

I have seen South Wales lose all its industrial strength and power over the last 30 years under both the Tories and labour central governments so my MP has little affect over my environment or world view.

I wish all the MP's would have the balls to say what they really want. I wish they would have a vote to abolish Article 50 and lets see who really votes for it. I doubt a 100 would vote for that. You could probably name them, the other 500 sheep don't know what they want, they just want to be MP's.

Labour don't want a no deal
Labour don't want a deal, they rejected the EU/Government one three times
So labour must want to remain in the EU, that is fine, now you have the power, vote on it !!!!!!!!!

They won't they are cowards.

With you all the way :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 pm

valleymodeller wrote:So what's wrong with being a Marxist? Has anyone read Marx? When is it so right to be so right wing .

!

I’ve not waded through Das Kapital but I’ve read enough about it to know it’s a completely unworkable system. Everywhere from Cambodia to Cuba its been a disaster, the latest mess it’s caused being Venezuela.
All property is theft, no man shall profit from the Labour of another, yeah that’s going to work.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:17 pm

castleblue wrote:I cannot see anyway that the Government will win the vote to hold a General Election because turkeys don't vote for Christmas and a GE at this time will bring certainly bring Christmas early for many current MP's.

What an interesting post? It is amazing to think that the Government of the day has no majority and the opposition doesn't want to vote it down!!!!

His tactic seems to be to delay the legislation until after we leave the EU on 31 October. You wouldn't put it past Boris to go on holiday, develop man flu and then say he can't get to the Palace to see the Queen because his limo's MOT has run out ;) Only for everything to get fixed on the 1 November :laughing6:

The fixed term Parliament Act does allow for a new GE "IF" Parliament passes a vote of No Confidence but Comrade Corbyn knows he would NEVER have got those Tory rebels to vote down their Government. The fact that he hasn't moved a vote of no confidence shows he is either running scared of the British Electorate or being faced with being PM and having to deliver Brexit.

The EU Referendum was about "Taking Back Control" from Brussels, maybe the buzz phrase for a GE should be "Take Back Control" from Parliament. Eventually there will be a General Election and we should use that as a means of "Pest Control" and get rid of the rodents who are infesting Parliament.

The Limo MOT Scenario sounds like a "Very Cunning Plan" mind.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:21 pm

I wont be voting they are all in it for themselves I hate Boris and the tories but as a labour supporter and have been all my life there is no way I can support any party with Corbyn who this week has proved he is gutless as well as Useless I hate the Lib dems as they dont know what they are and all the rest are not worth mentioning.

They are all rotten to the core biggest crooks of them all they make the Krays look like angels :banghead:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:36 pm

valleyrambill wrote:I wont be voting they are all in it for themselves I hate Boris and the tories but as a labour supporter and have been all my life there is no way I can support any party with Corbyn who this week has proved he is gutless as well as Useless I hate the Lib dems as they dont know what they are and all the rest are not worth mentioning.

They are all rotten to the core biggest crooks of them all they make the Krays look like angels :banghead:

It’s not difficult for people in your position. Vote for the democratic decision of the 2016 referendum. To abdicate a vote because you don’t rate the elected leader of your party is fine but vote instead for democracy regardless of the party.