Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ZOHORE/ VICTOR CAMARASA/HARRY ARTER/MANGA/REID/KADEEM HARRIS

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

What's happened next to Cardiff City's departed Premier League players as star of last season can't get a game

By Tom Coleman

Wednesday 4th September 2019

A number of players moved on following Cardiff's relegation from the Premier League last season

Here's how they're all getting on so far.

KENNETH ZOHORE

Having received a fair amount of stick for his early performances, the Dane has begun to pick up a bit of form in a Baggies shirt, netting twice for his new club, with both goals coming from the spot.

With West Brom still unbeaten this season, this short goalscoring run has helped win over some critics, but judging by the comments on social media it's safe to say that he's just as much of a polarising character as he was during his days in a Cardiff shirt.

Could he yet prove to be a hit in the West Midlands? Only time will tell.

VICTOR CAMARASA

The midfielder remains a massive cult hero in the Welsh capital on the back of a hugely successful loan spell last season.

However, the Spaniard has enjoyed a quiet start to life at new club Crystal Palace.

Camarasa is yet to play a single minute of top flight football under Roy Hodgson, with his only appearance for the Eagles coming in their shock League Cup penalty shootout defeat at the hands of Colchester United.

The Betis loanee hardly put in a performance capable of giving him the confidence to go hammering on Hodgson's door that night, but his boss remains hopeful that his move will prove a success.

Asked after that defeat on whether we could see Camarasa given more game time over the coming weeks, Hodgson replied: "He's technically gifted so we'll see."

HARRY ARTER

The Bournemouth loanee is arguably the sort of midfield general Cardiff have been missing during these early stages of the season, and it's clear that he's seen as a key part of Fulham boss Scott Parker's plans.

Arter has played over 400 minutes for the Cottagers already this season, and is without question Parker's first choice at the heart of the midfield.

The Irishman has already shown the sort of reliability and energy in the centre of the park that helped him become a big hit here, although it was hardly a happy return to South Wales for the 29-year old on Friday night.

After being booked for a foul on Joe Ralls, Arter was handed his marching orders only moments later for diving.

It's clear Cardiff fans have had little sympathy for their former hero . But while his stock may have slumped a little on this side of the border, he is likely to have a big say on Fulham's coming campaign.

BRUNO MANGA

A difficult start to life back in France saw the 31-year old attract a fair amount of criticism in recent weeks, and it's fair to say things are not going to plan for Manga's Dijon side.

Saturday's 2-0 defeat at the hands of Angers leaves them at the foot of Ligue 1, with four defeats from four.

Manga himself has seen his own performances improve. Indeed, he was even handed the captaincy for this latest defeat, which suggests coach Stephane Jobard still sees him as an important component in their season.

However, results will need to improve - and fast.

BOBBY REID

Almost certainly the most high-profile departure on deadline day, Reid has been involved in all but one of Fulham's league fixtures since arriving at Craven Cottage.

The former Bristol City star was ineligible for the trip to Cardiff on Friday night due to the terms of his loan move but, like Arter, is tipped to be a big part of Parker's plans at Craven Cottage.

Nevertheless his only start in a Fulham shirt has come in the League Cup defeat to Southampton, and he will hope there are more opportunities to come.

KADEEM HARRIS

The winger has enjoyed a hugely successful start to life at Sheffield Wednesday this season, impressing fans and pundits alike with some blistering performances.

Given how often Cardiff have laboured in the final third this season, it will inevitably spark questions over whether Warnock was right to let him go on a free transfer this summer.

Despite being kept quiet in the recent defeat at home to QPR, Harris has already become a big fans' favourite at Hillsborough, and has been widely held up as the sort of player the Owls have been missing in recent seasons.

The winger has so far scored two goals and earned one assist in seven games in all compeitions.

ARON GUNNARSSON

Another big name to leave the club, Gunnarsson completed a free transfer to Qatari side Al Arabi this summer.

Warnock has already admitted that his side is missing the Icelandic midfielder's influence, but it seems the player himself is enjoying himself at his new club.

The new Qatar Stars League season is only two games old, but Gunnarsson is so far yet to taste defeat, after following up a 3-1 opening day win over Al Ahli with a 1-1 draw at Al Duhail - a game that saw the midfielder net his first goal for the club.

RHYS HEALEY

The striker's return to MK Dons has gone down very well with the locals.

The 24-year old, who gained a taste of Prmeier League football last season, has once again proved to be one of the main stars of this Dons side.

His late appearance off the bench was followed by a last-minute winner in a narrow win over Shrewsbury Town a couple of weeks ago, and you suspect it could well be the first of many.

STUART O'KEEFE

Despite a tricky start, the midfielder is quickly becoming one of Gillingham's most trusted players in League One this season.

O'Keefe came under fire after giving away a penalty in the 2-1 home defeat to Burton Albion recently, but has continued to be a regular in the first team.

A place on the bench during Saturday's 5-0 win over Bolton Wanderers was the first time he's not been involved in a league match this season, and he is expected to return to the side soon.

LOIC DAMOUR

The Frenchman has been described in the Scottish capital as a good signing on paper, but many are currently of the opinion that he still hasn't got quite up to speed at Tynecastle.

Damour has so far made two appearances in the league this season, with Hearts already finding themselves on the end of criticism after a winless start to the current campaign.

The drab goalless draw with Ross County was a particularly concerning performance, although Damour's encouraging display was a definite positive.

Nevertheless, boss Craig Levein is likely to want to see more from the Frenchman in the coming weeks.

GREG CUNNINGHAM

Eyebrows were raised when Cardiff completed a move for the full-back last summer ahead of their season in the Premier League, but few were surprised to see him depart for Blackburn Rovers on deadline day.

The Irishman played the full 90 minutes of his debut against Middlesbrough, as well as the following clash with Hull City, both of which saw Rovers emerge with maximum points.

However, it's not all gone his way.

Cunningham was arguably at fault for West Brom's opening goal during their defeat at the Hawthorns last weekend.

The full-back was outmuscled by Matt Phillips, allowing Jake Livermore time and space to slot home as the Baggies eased their way to 3-2 win.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ZOHORE/ VICTOR CAMARASA/HARRY ARTER/MANGA/REID/KADEEM HA

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:46 am

I wouldn't exactly call scoring 2 penalties picking up form

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:13 am

Looks like NW was spot on getting rid of the majority of them lot as their doing fucall at their new clubs, well done Neil.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:56 am

I'd have Manga, Zohore and Cunningham back here and like to have Camarasa on loan. That would improve the squad, even if we do have 6 centre backs (Morrison, Flint, Nelson, Bamba, Connolly and Brown) and numerous strikers (Ward, Bogle, Glatzel, marine, Vassell etc). I'd try and re -sign Manga in January because he far better than any others we have.

I'm not bothered about losing Healy, O'Keefe, Harris or Arter.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:28 pm

valleymodeller wrote:I'd have Manga, Zohore and Cunningham back here and like to have Camarasa on loan. That would improve the squad, even if we do have 6 centre backs (Morrison, Flint, Nelson, Bamba, Connolly and Brown) and numerous strikers (Ward, Bogle, Glatzel, marine, Vassell etc). I'd try and re -sign Manga in January because he far better than any others we have.

Why Zohore?, apart from the tail end of our promotion season he's done f**k all and he's not exactly scoring for West Brom

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:I wouldn't exactly call scoring 2 penalties picking up form

Was thinking the same,maybe they give him pens,so he could get the mentality of improving into his head :laughing5: he's doubled his tally from last year :lol:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:
valleymodeller wrote:I'd have Manga, Zohore and Cunningham back here and like to have Camarasa on loan. That would improve the squad, even if we do have 6 centre backs (Morrison, Flint, Nelson, Bamba, Connolly and Brown) and numerous strikers (Ward, Bogle, Glatzel, marine, Vassell etc). I'd try and re -sign Manga in January because he far better than any others we have.

Why Zohore?, apart from the tail end of our promotion season he's done f**k all and he's not exactly scoring for West Brom

Well he has scored twice as many as last season :laughing5: Manga camarasa yes,but the rest can stay where they are :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Bluebird1990 wrote:

I think it was 2016/17 he had his best spell and then again had a good spell during our promotion season. The reason i'd still have him here is that he is still better than the others listed. Obviously the club made a decision to cash in and take the fee on player who was in the last year of his contract, which makes sense. But he's still better than the others. Six League games in and Vassell and Bogle have one each, Glatzel and Madine have yet to score and Ward has even played. There are 5 examples of Warnock's transfer activities with players, although to be fair to Vassell he scored 1 in 2 sub appearances. £15.8m on those players and we still need a striker.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:17 pm

valleymodeller wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

I think it was 2016/17 he had his best spell and then again had a good spell during our promotion season. The reason i'd still have him here is that he is still better than the others listed. Obviously the club made a decision to cash in and take the fee on player who was in the last year of his contract, which makes sense. But he's still better than the others. Six League games in and Vassell and Bogle have one each, Glatzel and Madine have yet to score and Ward has even played. There are 5 examples of Warnock's transfer activities with players, although to be fair to Vassell he scored 1 in 2 sub appearances. £15.8m on those players and we still need a striker.

We need to improve midfield wise (pack?) Before our strikers improve their tally,zohore had one purple patch,scored 10 in 13 or something like that? When was this other good spell you speak of? I must have missed it :? Zohore has scored 2,both penalties by the way,so that makes him better than our current strikers :?: 14 goals in 3 seasons and we got £8m for him,good business imo. :old: :bluebird:

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:19 am

bluesince62 wrote:
valleymodeller wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

We need to improve midfield wise (pack?) Before our strikers improve their tally,zohore had one purple patch,scored 10 in 13 or something like that? When was this other good spell you speak of? I must have missed it :? Zohore has scored 2,both penalties by the way,so that makes him better than our current strikers :?: 14 goals in 3 seasons and we got £8m for him,good business imo. :old: :bluebird:

the spell was called a promotion season of which he played a lot as a lone striker.

I think the 8 mill will only be good business if one of those we now have improves quite a bit..my money is on we will be bringing in another striker in January..

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:56 pm

deadmouse wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
valleymodeller wrote:
Bluebird1990 wrote:

the spell was called a promotion season of which he played a lot as a lone striker.

I think the 8 mill will only be good business if one of those we now have improves quite a bit..my money is on we will be bringing in another striker in January..

And there's me thinking a good spell for a striker would mean knocking a few goals in :oops: one good spell,and a HAND in the promotion,and Vassell and Bogle have scored the same amount as zohore did last season, so surely if they only score one more each,then that's an improvement :lol: we should have sold him to Brighton when they offered £13m was it :?: because he went on to do sweet fa in the following seasons :? A strikers primary job,is to score goals,which he failed quite miserably at, £8m was good business imo,our other strikers have 40 games to improve upon his goal ratio :laughing5: :old: :bluebird: