Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Off topic advice

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:21 pm

If you but a vehicle off somebody for cash after replying to a advertisement and it breaks down after 2 weeks with gear issues and oil leaks, then you find out it had previously been a write off but you were not informed

The advert said the van was in good condition

Do you have any options to get a refund ?

Re: Off topic advice

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:42 pm

thomasblue wrote:If you but a vehicle off somebody for cash after replying to a advertisement and it breaks down after 2 weeks with gear issues and oil leaks, then you find out it had previously been a write off but you were not informed

Yes but have to prove he was owner at time it was written off? How did you know it was written off?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:44 pm

It was written off years ago it comes up on the records online but didnt show before and was not told during the sale or in the advert

The seller was not the owner at the time it was written off

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:03 pm

thomasblue wrote:It was written off years ago it comes up on the records online but didnt show before and was not told during the sale or in the advert

You'll have difficulty getting anything back as owner you bought off almost certainly didn't know it was right off? didn't you do check before parting with money ? Did you ask seller anything that could make him liable?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Not really , only basic questions like how it drives , are there any issues he knows of. The advert said the vehicle was in good condition which it was to be fair, apart from the gear box crunching after a week.
Just annoying, hate getting ripped off.

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:24 pm

thomasblue wrote:Not really , only basic questions like how it drives , are there any issues he knows of. The advert said the vehicle was in good condition which it was to be fair, apart from the gear box crunching after a week.
Just annoying, hate getting ripped off.

If it is fixable cheap enough just keep using it! But if take to garage get them to look it over make sure structually sound before repairing it.... some vehicles written off because to expensive to repair rather than being dangerous particularly in older vehicles :thumbup:

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 pm

thomasblue wrote:It was written off years ago it comes up on the records online but didnt show before and was not told during the sale or in the advert

I don't think you'll get much joy.My son was done in the same way.Due dilligance is down to you.

10 to 15 quid gets you a report that would have told you about any Cat status, prev stolen.Also make sure the documentation is with the vehicle at point of sale.Its always best to make sure the guys name is on the V5 doc.You also used to be able to get a full MOT history on the Gov website.

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:

I don't think you'll get much joy.My son was done in the same way.Due dilligance is down to you.

10 to 15 quid gets you a report that would have told you about any Cat status, prev stolen.Also make sure the documentation is with the vehicle at point of sale.Its always best to make sure the guys name is on the V5 doc.You also used to be able to get a full MOT history on the Gov website.

I had the full mot history , showed nothing about a write off also it passed pretty much every time with no real issues.
Lesson learned to always get that check done I suppose. So frustrating though that people can just con others and not care less

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:41 pm

thomasblue wrote:If you but a vehicle off somebody for cash after replying to a advertisement and it breaks down after 2 weeks with gear issues and oil leaks, then you find out it had previously been a write off but you were not informed

Not a chance, buyer beware when buying anything without a warranty, even from a dealer.