Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ The Beast ‘

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Jon Parkin, by his own admission he came to City for the money with the hope of a loan move back up north the following season.
He takes the photo opportunities which are put on social media and I understand why people want a photo with an ex player but hes not the maverick City icon like your Robin Friday or Lee Tomlin, just a journeyman for whatever reason didn't do the business for us.

Re: The Beast

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:48 am

Anyone know why he was there?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:00 am

I read Jon Parkin’s book, Brilliant read. :bluebird:

Very honest read. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Yes Parkin does admit he only signed for Cardiff for the money( at least he was honest, not like most players)

Re: ‘ The Beast ‘

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 am

Jon Parkin delights Bluebirds fans in away end at Derby County

The former striker was given a hero's welcome

Saturday 14th September 2019

Jon Parkin was given a hero's welcome by the Cardiff City fans at Pride Park (Image: Pic: @UndrTheCosh)
The former striker was given a hero's welcome

Football supporters love nothing more than seeing a player - past or present - in amongst the fans on an away day.

Those who travelled to watch Cardiff City take on Derby County on Friday night were treated to just that.

Cult figure Jon Parkin, who featured for the Bluebirds 13 times during the 2010-11 season, was spotted at Pride Park in the away end - and supporters made him feel right at home.

The 37-year-old, who only retired from football in August, was serenaded in the concourse before the match with a rendition of "Super Jonny Parkin", with the forward performing the Ayatollah back in recognition.

Fans then ramped it up when they were on the terraces.

"Feed the beast and he will score!" was sung to the striker, in reference to his nickname during his playing days, with Parkin's career spanning 15 clubs over a 20-year period. He hung up his boots over the summer after featuring latterly for York.

Before the match, Parkin tweeted: "Little trip to derby tonight to watch the derby-cardiff game .....where are you travelling away fans having a pint before ??"

Parkin is now a presenter on the podcast "Undr The Cosh".

On the pitch, Cardiff were held to a 1-1 draw against the Rams , with Robert Glatzel grabbing his first goal in a Bluebirds shirt to level the scores from the penalty spot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:22 am

Forever Blue wrote:I read Jon Parkin’s book, Brilliant read. :bluebird:

Yes Parkin does admit he only signed for Cardiff for the money( at least he was honest, not like most players)

Exactly. That along with chance of improving their career is why most players sign for clubs they otherwise have no connection with.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:55 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I read Jon Parkin’s book, Brilliant read. :bluebird:

Exactly. That along with chance of improving their career is why most players sign for clubs they otherwise have no connection with.

Agreed :thumbright:

To be fair its an excellent read :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:59 pm

And he scored memorable goal on debut? :bluescarf:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:24 am

JJ1927 wrote:Anyone know why he was there?

Hi mate, I think there was a football match being played there at the time

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:30 am

he has his own podcast "undr the cosh" great podcast honestly, find them on youtube, i know they often go to games up that area, and either film it for the podcast and use it to talk about the games on their podcast so it could of been just for that

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Last time i saw him he was wedged in the door of the Clarks pie shop in Grangetown

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:05 pm

ffs wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:Anyone know why he was there?

Hi mate, I think there was a football match being played there at the time

You got them rolling in the aisles.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Guys a legend football needs more down to earth players.

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:39 pm

he was the to film an episode for his podcast,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGyn0f-iSvI