Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Comparison fixtures so far

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:04 am

Bored on a Staturday. Are we really doing that badly?... I've compared this season's results with the equivalent most recent game. Which is either PL or promotion season (apart from Luton).

This season:
Wigan L 2-3
Blackburn D 0-0
Derby D 1-1
Fulham D 1-1
Luton W 2-1
Huddersfield W 2-1
Reading L 0-3

Points 9 GF 8 GA 10

Last games, same fixture:
Wigan D 0-0 (2017-18)
Blackburn D 1-1 (2017-18)
Derby L 1-3 (2017-18)
Fulham L 1-0 (PL)
Luton (different leagues)
Huddersfield D 0-0 (PL)
Reading D 2-2 (2017-18)

Hypothetical points 4 (off one less game) GF 5 GA 6

I think if our form continues to improve, and with the addition of the injured players returning, we'll be up there. Thoughts?

Re: Comparison fixtures so far

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:19 am

Not up there not enough quality

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:26 am

I haven't seen anyone so far that makes me think they are miles ahead of us over a season. We need a run and some key players to pick up some form.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:28 am

Be on positive side with luck could have extra 9 points obviously could have several less as well all when not playing particular well? Only reading did we deserve to lose and never came close to getting anything from game, rest could and should have won at least 3 of the games wigan fulham and Blackburn so plenty to be optimistic about at moment despite the performances! :old:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:37 am

As I have said all along come the end of the season we will be up their in the top 6. We will be a much better team when we get Etheridge and Bamba back fit.

What annoys me however is that we still haven’t changed our approach away from home. We are to defensive, don’t press high enough up the pitch and the defensive drop back to much allowing players to run the edge of our box. We will end up with one of the best home records come the end of the season but away from home were not as good and it comes down to the tactics we play. I don’t understand how this hasn’t been addressed by Warnock.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:58 am

phildavies wrote:As I have said all along come the end of the season we will be up their in the top 6. We will be a much better team when we get Etheridge and Bamba back fit.

What annoys me however is that we still haven’t changed our approach away from home. We are to defensive, don’t press high enough up the pitch and the defensive drop back to much allowing players to run the edge of our box. We will end up with one of the best home records come the end of the season but away from home were not as good and it comes down to the tactics we play. I don’t understand how this hasn’t been addressed by Warnock.

Leopard never changes its spots same with NW only once did he do it and that was man u and we all know what happened? Same with tactics never vary them no matter who we play? As just put we should and could have won 2 or 3 games more but never went for the win... it's so frustrating watching knowing that with bit more attacking flair we can do better what's point having a striker or wingers when never play them in best positions.. :o

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:08 am

Jacks win today, which I think they will, and we’re 10 points behind them already. I’ve seen nothing to suggest we are capable of closing that gap and in fact it will probably grow by the time we play them. Which by the way I’m dreading.
We are a mid table team.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:12 am

Even allowing for our injuries I can only see a mid table finish.

We will have a new manager before the season ends. This season will be a preparation for a push next season.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:20 am

I do think that our style of play doesn't inspire confidence and enthusiasm on times but it cannot be doubted that 'The Warnock Way' (or 'winning' as he calls it :laughing6: ) works when it is in full flow

The downside is that it becomes too easy for some people to get disillusioned when it isn't (working), so the negativity becomes more intense and critical; one of the reasons some clubs (thankfully not Cardiff City) have gotten rid of Neil Warnock a little too easily

Personally, I think we're improving slowly but I'm not confident we will be pushing for anything other than a top 6 finish this season; but I remain open to being proven wrong! ;)

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:34 am

We’ll see how good or bad we are when we go up against the Jacks. Personally I think our football is dire.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:13 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:We’ll see how good or bad we are when we go up against the Jacks. Personally I think our football is dire.

Why them? Fulham suppose to be the best but we deserved to win that game by Mile's but for missed opportunities and bad defending we didn't win.. possession football is great if you win :thumbup:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:We’ll see how good or bad we are when we go up against the Jacks. Personally I think our football is dire.

Why them? Fulham suppose to be the best but we deserved to win that game by Mile's but for missed opportunities and bad defending we didn't win.. possession football is great if you win :thumbup:

Erm they’re top of the league, like. And deservedly so.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:22 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

But the jacks are winning. And we aren’t.
They have average players but they fit into their style and system so reap the synergistic benefits that makes them a major force this season. Our football / tactics are dated and it shows.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:28 pm

I hope I am wrong but I think our fixtures so far give an entirely accurate picture of where we are going to finish this season which will be in mid table. What is known as a Russell Slade season.We will occasionally win a couple of games in succession which will lead some people to think we might make the playoffs but won't. The fact of the matter is we are not like the over achieving team of a couple of season ago. Man for man we bear comparison with that team but there is something lacking in this team they don't seem to have the same will to win of the promotion team.

I wouldn't entirety rule out us improving enough to get into the playoffs but would bet against it at the moment. Don't really think Pack,Bamba and Etheridge coming back will make that much difference they are not much better than what we have got.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:55 pm

buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes for now and deservely so! but why compare with them why not Fulham as we've played them by time play swans they could be 6th ect? Anyway not going to have another debate regarding them its boring and they'll be over this like a dose of herpes....:old:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:01 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes for now and deservely so! but why compare with them why not Fulham as we've played them by time play swans they could be 6th ect? Anyway not going to have another debate regarding them its boring and they'll be over this like a dose of herpes....:old:

Fulham heading for their 4th win against another favourite WBA. We won’t catch them either.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Fulham heading for their 4th win against another favourite WBA. We won’t catch them either.

Yes but lost interest ages ago watching it! it's more exciting watching paint dry tbh..

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes but lost interest ages ago watching it! it's more exciting watching paint dry tbh..

Prefer our thrilling style of football then? :shock:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Its get you out of your seat ball in area a lot it's got to be better than having 70% possession
and still not be winning like Fulham at moment :thumbup:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Like said lost interest in game and what's point having all that possession and still not win? Is that exciting compared to our type of game of get ball in area quickly? A " Man c " swansea or Fulham are not!
Only 4 points off top 4 and playing rubbish !:thumbup:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:52 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Like said lost interest in game and what's point having all that possession and still not win? Is that exciting compared to our type of game of get ball in area quickly? A " Man c " swansea or Fulham are not!

I agree re Man City, yet the championship has changed and you need to be able to play football and create chances. Keep the ball when you need to and move teams around to create the openings. Then win it back quickly when required. It’s why the jacks are doing so well and we aren’t. And sadly that won’t change all season.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:56 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
buckleys brewery wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I agree re Man City, yet the championship has changed and you need to be able to play football and create chances. Keep the ball when you need to and move teams around to create the openings. Then win it back quickly when required. It’s why the jacks are doing so well and we aren’t. And sadly that won’t change all season.

Early days as pointed out not far off top playing supposedly rubbish? can and should get better? As we've seen things change quickly in championship and very surprised if table looks like it is today at xmas.. :old:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Always thought a play off place might be just about possible if luck went our way, and we had the rub of the green with refs etc. I believed we would finish in the top ten before the start of the season, and I still think we can do that. The worrying thing at the moment is that we look more likely to be on the end of a four goal drubbing than we are of handing one out ourselves. We only ever look like scraping a victory by the odd goal, and at the moment goals look like being a big problem. Even if we get to completely dominate a game, not sure that we look capable of getting more than one or two goals over a 90 minute period as things stand.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:21 pm

I think we will be a lot stronger and a hard team to beat with bamba etheridge and pack in the team. But unless tomlin keeps playing i see us really struggling to create chances and score enough goals to be in the mix for promotion

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:22 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Always thought a play off place might be just about possible if luck went our way, and we had the rub of the green with refs etc. I believed we would finish in the top ten before the start of the season, and I still think we can do that. The worrying thing at the moment is that we look more likely to be on the end of a four goal drubbing than we are of handing one out ourselves. We only ever look like scraping a victory by the odd goal, and at the moment goals look like being a big problem. Even if we get to completely dominate a game, not sure that we look capable of getting more than one or two goals over a 90 minute period as things stand.

Steve remember our other promotion season did it on back of winning by one goal ! Not sure got it to be top 2 because of teams in this league but hopefully won't be far away come end season... :thumbup:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:08 pm

From what I’ve seen so far I think we will struggle to finish top 6. We are not clinical enough with the few chances we create. Can’t see us scoring enough goals to get a good run going and we also seem to be conceding some very soft goals.
Hoping things change when key players come back. I think etheridge, bamba and pack will make a massive difference when fit.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Jacks win today, which I think they will, and we’re 10 points behind them already. I’ve seen nothing to suggest we are capable of closing that gap and in fact it will probably grow by the time we play them. Which by the way I’m dreading.
We are a mid table team.

They will be outside the top 6 by the end of the season and we will be in it. No point even looking at it ATM for example Norwich were bottom half this time last year and ended up winning the league.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:33 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Neither of them are close to being the best in this league both won’t finish top 6.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:43 pm

phildavies wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Neither of them are close to being the best in this league both won’t finish top 6.

I have my doubts having seen both but like said xmas give us a better idea of what us what. Including us.
Got shot down but Swansea dominate but losing now possession means sfa :thumbup:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Interesting possession stats from a league one game at the moment. Rochdale currently have 66 % of possession against Peterborough and are losing 6-0.

With regard to players coming back making us better is it going to happen. When Bamba is fit who will he replace Flint or Morrisson presumably but is 35 year old Bamba any better than them.If Pack comes back who will he replace? Bacuna is playing very well man of the match for us in the last two games and Ralls is our player of the season. He would be better than Patterson in midfield but I would much prefer Tomlin we are lacking in creativity anyway withou replacing an attack minded player with a defensive one. Also after a couple of shaky games Smithies is starting to look like a good keeper not sure if Ethridge would be that much better. Jazz coming back would help but I heard he cut off his head whilst shaving this morning so he won't be back for a while.