Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' What Cardiff City's Neil Warnock did '

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:19 pm

What Cardiff City's Neil Warnock did during Robert Glatzel's penalty

Saturday 14th September 2019

The Bluebirds striker finally opened his account against Derby County

While many Cardiff City fans were peering through their fingers to watch Robert Glatzel's penalty against Derby County, Neil Warnock went one further.

The monkey was firmly on Glatzel's back having not scored in his first five games for the Bluebirds following his £5.5million move from Heidenheim this summer.

And it looked as though it was going to be another one of those nights for the striker after the first gilt-edged chance fell to him. The ball bobbled to him on the edge of the box and he swung a wild left foot at it, only to misconnect and see it dribble out of harm's way.

But, he got his chance. After there were calls for Derby to have a penalty down one end, the Bluebirds were handed one just seconds later down the other after the German's shirt was adjudged to have been pulled in the penalty box by Richard Keogh.

And while many players shorn of confidence would have shipped on penalty-taking duties, it was Glatzel who wanted that responsibility. But Warnock couldn't muster the courage to look.

NEIL WARNOCK:

"I was crossing my fingers," the manager said. "I wasn’t watching at the time, I don’t like watching penalties. It was nice to see our crowd cheer.

"I don’t like watching penalties, I couldn’t take them, I didn’t have the whatever you call it between your legs to take them.

"It takes a certain type of person really. You can’t criticise someone for missing them because a lot wouldn’t take them when the chips are down."

Though Glatzel, until last night, hadn't scored for the Bluebirds, there has been no doubting his quality.

He has looked strong, quick and more than capable with the ball at his feet. But having had so few clear-cut chances to open his account, he found himself snatching at the ones which did come his way.

Now, however, he can tick that box and the sizeable weight of being the Bluebirds' marquee summer signing up top will surely feel a little lighter.

Glatzel, however, shrugged off the notion that his price tag has had any bearing.

"It was a very special moment," he told Sky Sports. "I don't care about money. I just want to play football and do my best."

Warnock has backed Glatzel until this point and will be desperate to see him hit the back of the net more regularly.

The manager revealed the player has been a hit with his team-mates since his arrival this summer and will hope last night's goal will prove to be the springboard for him to better his record in the coming weeks.

"He has done ever so well," the manager added. "He’s great in the dressing room, the lads love him.

"He works hard. In training he puts them away and he will be disappointed but irrespective it’s lovely to get your first goal."

Captain Sean Morrison echoed the manager's sentiments.

"I’m happy for the big man," he said. "Chances have been coming. The boys are over the moon for him."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' What Cardiff City's Neil Warnock did '

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Germans rarely miss pens do they? :laughing6:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Unfortunately with the way we set up that's the only way he's going to get goals this season.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:Unfortunately with the way we set up that's the only way he's going to get goals this season.

Yes but got to get in area ti win pen? Same with free kicks on edge area when was last time we had a decent one there? Not that we've got whitts playing now to score it! :laughing6:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:29 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebird Warrior wrote:Unfortunately with the way we set up that's the only way he's going to get goals this season.

Yes but got to get in area ti win pen? Same with free kicks on edge area when was last time we had a decent one there? Not that we've got whitts playing now to score it! :laughing6:

Our play is ponderous

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:07 pm

It is. Ponderous, slow, and executed with least accuracy.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:57 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Hope Glatzel gets to take any on the edge of the box,because he buried that pen sweet enough :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:08 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Hope Glatzel gets to take any on the edge of the box,because he buried that pen sweet enough :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:

Never know may let him take a free kick if ever get one? :laughing6:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Germans rarely miss pens do they? :laughing6:

;)