Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gareth Thomas - HIV

Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Gareth Thomas, the former captain of the Wales rugby team, has revealed he is HIV positive.

Thomas says he has kept the diagnosis a secret for years since it was revealed to him during a routine health check. He had no idea the diagnosis was coming and described it as "being hit by a 300-mile-an-hour train without expecting it".

Re: Gareth Thomas - HIV

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:14 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Gareth Thomas, the former captain of the Wales rugby team, has revealed he is HIV positive.

Thomas says he has kept the diagnosis a secret for years since it was revealed to him during a routine health check. He had no idea the diagnosis was coming and described it as "being hit by a 300-mile-an-hour train without expecting it".

it's one of the main things you can get by being gay surely it crossed his mind every time went for checkup? I Admired him for speaking out being gay same as nigel owens! but hope we dont get bombarded with him and his story public figure or not for next 6 months or so?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Totally agree

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
NIBluebird wrote:Gareth Thomas, the former captain of the Wales rugby team, has revealed he is HIV positive.

it's one of the main things you can get by being gay surely it crossed his mind every time went for checkup? I Admired him for speaking out being gay same as nigel owens! but hope we dont get bombarded with him and his story public figure or not for next 6 months or so?

You’re all heart you are

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:45 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Totally agree

I'm sure over exposure makes things worse as people lose empathy having it thrown at them constantly on radio then tv ? There again I'm a scinic and being in public eye as its advantages doesnt it?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Gareth's had a nightmare here.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

I'm sure over exposure makes things worse as people lose empathy having it thrown at them constantly on radio then tv ? There again I'm a scinic and being in public eye as its advantages doesnt it?

Lol You're something else allan fair play!

Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:59 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes I am especially If you think I sympathise
:thumbup:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Not sure what the diagnosis is longer term .

Believe there is treatment now

I'm assuming his partner also has same ?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:11 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Not sure what the diagnosis is longer term .

Hes taking one tablet a day and 6 month checks that's it! health wise not life threatening or shortening things moved on from 80s :thumbup:
His husband as not got HIV, believe Thomas contracted it before met him several years ago...

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:04 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Taking on the stigma so that no one gives a f**k in future for other people. Still a lot of stigma around HIV seven though it’s now treatable. Brave guy.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:17 am

He’s made this public because some scum were blackmailing him.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:33 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Hes taking one tablet a day and 6 month checks that's it! health wise not life threatening or shortening things moved on from 80s :thumbup:
His husband as not got HIV, believe Thomas contracted it before met him several years ago...

Correct HIV really isnt that bad a thing to have. People are just scared beause of how AIDS was portrayed in the media in the 80's. if treated HIV doesnt really effect your life much at all and its prety much agreed within the medical world that whilst being treated with medication its impossible to pass on to anybody else. Its a pretty hard thing to pass on anyway given its only done so by blood or semen/vaginal fluid.

If its not treated and becomes full blown AIDS then thats a diffrent story off course. as for thoose moaning or saying its attention seeking one the reasons he has talked about is that one of the scumbag tabloids had found out and was pestering his parents house.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:24 am

BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Taking on the stigma so that no one gives a f**k in future for other people. Still a lot of stigma around HIV seven though it’s now treatable. Brave guy.

Why would you want people to not give a f**k about catching aids?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:27 am

pembroke allan wrote:
ElyBoy1984 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Yes I am especially If you think I sympathise
:thumbup:

I know what you're saying(i think) but he's a City fan so gets a free pass.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:53 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Alan stop talking

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:28 am

Don’t know how true it is but they mentioned on the Andrew Marr show this morning he revealed all as a result of possible blackmail.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:54 am

salopiancity wrote:Don’t know how true it is but they mentioned on the Andrew Marr show this morning he revealed all as a result of possible blackmail.

So he caught AIDs from a Black Male?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:02 am

Jock wrote:
salopiancity wrote:Don’t know how true it is but they mentioned on the Andrew Marr show this morning he revealed all as a result of possible blackmail.

:lol:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:05 am

Jock wrote:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:10 am

Cant stand the bloke gets under my skin .good luck to him hope he is ok health wise .

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:20 am

brickyblue wrote:Cant stand the bloke gets under my skin .good luck to him hope he is ok health wise .

Each to their own but I think him and his husband are tidy enough guys myself.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:29 am

Jock wrote:

:o

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:51 am

hate to play the dull card, but what is HIV then, because i always thought it was a milder form of AIDS ? genuine question

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Am I ignorant to say HIV and Aids is a day diesese. Always seems this community gets this disease. What's the stats on HIV on straight or gay etc.

Well done Gareth though for coming out

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:23 pm

bluebird04 wrote:hate to play the dull card, but what is HIV then, because i always thought it was a milder form of AIDS ? genuine question

A HIV is a follower of Hibernian FC, drug addicted and disease riddled.
AIDs is a sexually transmitted disease that came into being because someone had sex with a monkey.
Hope this helps.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:33 pm

bluebird04 wrote:hate to play the dull card, but what is HIV then, because i always thought it was a milder form of AIDS ? genuine question

HIV is the virus that is transmitted and AIDS is the name of the disease that compromises your immune system as a result of HIV infection. People can live being positive for HIV for years before showing any symptoms and if treatment is followed correctly, it has been shown that it is now biologically impossible to infect other people with HIV.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 pm

blue lagoon wrote:Am I ignorant to say HIV and Aids is a day diesese. Always seems this community gets this disease. What's the stats on HIV on straight or gay etc.

Well done Gareth though for coming out

No I think you can catch it day or night time.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 pm

nubbsy wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Alan stop talking

Christ, if only.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:29 pm

ElyBoy1984 wrote:
BluebirdWhitchurch wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Why would you want people to not give a f**k about catching aids?

No that’s clearly not what I meant. There is still a stigma about people with HIV (different to AIDS btw) to the point others will actively avoid contact with them even though there’s working treatment to stop it spreading.