Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Just a quick and curious question about Ralls' position

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Would he make a good number 10? Obviously not as talented as Tomlin on the ball but definetely better than Paterson, and more solid than both of them surely. Also seems to score more goals in midfield than Tomlin does further up. That's my way of thinking anyway. I just think he's always a threat when he's looking to shoot around or inside the box, whereas Tomlin/Patto never really seem like scoring, all bark no bite.

Re: Just a quick and curious question about Ralls' position

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:24 am

Anyone would make a better no. 10 in a team playing football than Patterson.

Not sure we are blessed with anyone else to take the role Ralls currently has. If we did, Ralls wouldn't get in the side!

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:07 am

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Anyone would make a better no. 10 in a team playing football than Patterson.

Not sure we are blessed with anyone else to take the role Ralls currently has. If we did, Ralls wouldn't get in the side!

I think JR is doing ok.
Wonder who the midfield trio will be when Pack and Tomlin return.
I think Pack must play and probably Rakls for his energy. Maybe the other two depends on the opposition and whether we’re home and away.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am

honestly, i'd drop ralls. don't get me wrong he is a good all round midfielder, but when pack and tomlin are back, i'd play tomlin number 10, pack a ball winning midfielder in front of the back 4, and bacunna as our box to box man. should make us a more solid midfield, allowing the likes of bennett, to push on, and not leave to much space inbehind,

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:11 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Anyone would make a better no. 10 in a team playing football than Patterson.

I think JR is doing ok.
Wonder who the midfield trio will be when Pack and Tomlin return.
I think Pack must play and probably Rakls for his energy. Maybe the other two depends on the opposition and whether we’re home and away.

Think Pack, Ralls and Tomlin has a nice balance about it as long as Tomlin puts a shift in which to be fair to him he seems to have done when he has started. On the other hand Bacuna has done well last few games.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:19 pm

I personally prefer Ralls as an 8 and he's very good at being that box to box midfielder and picking up second balls, however in the 10 position im not so sure. When everyone is fit id play Pack, Ralls and Tomlin.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:20 pm

I believe he is an old fashioned 442 "8" but could play a more attacking role.

Not sure how long Warnock perseveres with Tomlin. He needs to produce assists and goals in this set up, and they have been scarce.

We are playing with 3 forwards !!!! But, they are not getting any decent controlled ball as we are over loaded in midfield and they live of scraps. We need 3 midfielders and i think out of the crop of CM's he is more likely to run beyond the striker (last time i can remember that at the city was Ledley) and get into double figures.

IMO Whyte is not not a wide forward, he is an old fashioned 442 winger, we are wasting a jersey, he did well defensively as you'd expect.

So I'd go Pack and Bacuna sitting allowing Ralls a bit of freedom to affect the game.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Once agian Ralls being underated by some on here again I see.

As for the 10 I'd play Hoilett their if he isnt starting on the wing best player we have IMO.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 am

Pack, Ralls and Tomlin is our best midfield IMO

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:47 am

Ive always thought Ralls could play a little further forward, my concnern with him as the number 10 would be more about him getting sucked back into midfield and us losing someone near the striker.

Certainly a better option than Patterson though.

For me it has to be Tomlin as we really don't have many options, other than that I think Hoilett would play it well.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Ralls isn’t talented enough to play that role..for that you need a creative brain, not a reactive one.