Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DO WE NEED TO PLAY WITH 2 STRIKERS

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:13 am

It seems to me that this lone striker with 2 wingers is' nt working, what i have seen of glatzel he looks best when he has a player near him little flicks and one two's but this lone striker role and been marked by 2 central defenders does' nt seem to be working for us, the same as last year with niasse, he seems to be struggling with this system , just wondering if we need to change system.

Re: DO WE NEED TO PLAY WITH 2 STRIKERS

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:26 am

montyblue wrote:It seems to me that this lone striker with 2 wingers is' nt working, what i have seen of glatzel he looks best when he has a player near him little flicks and one two's but this lone striker role and been marked by 2 central defenders does' nt seem to be working for us, the same as last year with niasse, he seems to be struggling with this system , just wondering if we need to change system.

Question is who do we sacrifice

Play two upfront and we lose one midfielder

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:28 am

I honestly believe we’re playing the wrong formation, we need to go back to 4-4-2, we’ve got the players to do it, just means sacrificing a midfielder for a striker

Smithies/(Etheridge)

Peltier ( Bamba)/flint. Morrison. Bennet

NML/Whyte. Bacunna/(Pack). Ralls. Murphy/Hoilett

Glatzel. Bogle/Vassell

(When back from injury)

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:32 am

long gone are our days of playing 442, we play right now, a 451, and we are often getting out run in midfield, out passed, our way of playing means if we go 442, opposition teams will have a field day against us. we are no different upto with glatzel, than we were with zohore, its at the back at the moment is our issue, gifting sloppy goals away.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:40 am

bluebird04 wrote:long gone are our days of playing 442, we play right now, a 451, and we are often getting out run in midfield, out passed, our way of playing means if we go 442, opposition teams will have a field day against us. we are no different upto with glatzel, than we were with zohore, its at the back at the moment is our issue, gifting sloppy goals away.

So basically either way we’re screwed

Short of playing 5-3-1. What else do you suggest with the players we have?? Clearly 4-5-1 isn’t working for us

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:00 pm

snoopystorm wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:long gone are our days of playing 442, we play right now, a 451, and we are often getting out run in midfield, out passed, our way of playing means if we go 442, opposition teams will have a field day against us. we are no different upto with glatzel, than we were with zohore, its at the back at the moment is our issue, gifting sloppy goals away.

Short of playing 5-3-1. What else do you suggest with the players we have?? Clearly 4-5-1 isn’t working for us

no i believe the 451 we're playing now is fine, its just we've been to sloppy at the back, we look similar to the season we won promotion, the big difference is, we were solid at the back, so we grinded out 1-0s, and when teams got desperate and tried to push on for an equaliser , we would usually nick a second and kill the game off. this seasdon we've scoring but been too sloppy at the back and conceding

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:23 pm

bluebird04 wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

no i believe the 451 we're playing now is fine, its just we've been to sloppy at the back, we look similar to the season we won promotion, the big difference is, we were solid at the back, so we grinded out 1-0s, and when teams got desperate and tried to push on for an equaliser , we would usually nick a second and kill the game off. this seasdon we've scoring but been too sloppy at the back and conceding

Fair points, tbh I think Gratzel would benefit from a strike partner though as he’s not getting a lot of service in the current set up, all his shots have been half chances where he’s been trying to hard to get his 1st goal or he’s snapped at them, hopefully now he can kick in with goals after getting his 1st albeit from the spot.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:23 pm

snoopystorm wrote:

5-3-1 definitely not a good idea. 5-3-2 might work though. :thumbup:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:01 pm

moonboots wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

Oh yeah my bad :thumbup:

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:35 pm

moonboots wrote:
snoopystorm wrote:

Warnock loves his wingers

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Strange one - you’d think playing a 4-5-1 with wingers would suit a team playing with the ball through midfield. However our game plan frequently is to bypass midfield and get the ball up top quickly - most of the time too quick for our midfield to keep up leaving Glatzel isolated. I’ve always thought we would suit a 4-4-2 better or 4-3–3 playing direct but then again I haven’t won 8 promotions!

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 pm

People get too hung up on formations, they dont matter that much, what is more important is the style, player roles and work ethic you put into the chosen formation.

Say we play 4-5-1
That would include 2 wide player
If the manager tells those players to protect the full back at all times it leaves us short up front with Glatzel chasing lost causes all day (our current style).
If you play them forward in a more 433 formation and not have to worry about defending it leaves us vulnerable at the back. In that case you need the defensive midfielder to cover the full backs.

It's all down to player roles and working on the partnerships within a team.

Formations are just a stat , they change throughout the game probably 10 times.

The other formation mentioned was 532

Do you play the back 5 with a sweeper or 3 flat centre backs ?
Do the wide defenders play as wing backs or full backs ?

Who out of the midfield 3 sits in the role and who goes forward ?

Again it's all about roles and how Warnock sets them up. Formations are just a formality

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Completely agree Thomasblue.

Our game is based on getting the ball forward quickly as possible at the cost of retaining possession.

Regardless of formation, our players appear to have insufficient time in the transition between not having the ball and having it. We are generally focused and much better at the transition from being in possession to defending.

It does seem a misnomer of Warnockball to me that we have an isolated striker. Great dependence on our wide men to get forward. Lots of debate on here about number 10s and Tomlin and Patterson but with Warnockball a number 10 doesn't really figure. It's all about the wide men cutting inside. Whoever our poor striker is is going to be feeding on scraps. This is proven through Sir Neils whole tenure here.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Etherige

Pelts Moozza Bamba Flint Bennett
Park Bacona Ralls
Glatzel Murphy

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Opps, Pack and Morrison

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:07 pm

No none of our strikers are good enough imo, could be worth a try though.
But tomlin should play near glatzel to feed him, tomlin as a 10/second striker far more effective and creative for me rather than vassell bogle or ward

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:00 pm

Try 2 up front at Home for a game ...Just a thought - And see how it goes ;)

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Try 2 up front at Home for a game ...Just a thought - And see how it goes ;)

Would be interesting to see but Warnock’s a little too negative in his style I think.
Also we’d get even more overrun in our midfield.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:38 am

blue lagoon wrote:Etherige

Park Bacona Ralls
Glatzel Murphy

That would never happen as Warnock loves his wingers and I don’t see Bennett and Peltier being good enough for the modern wingback.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:27 am

We are quite often overrun with 5 midfielders. We would be slaughtered if we sacrificed a midfielder. We just need to retain the ball better instead of lumping it up-field and hoping Glatzel can do something with it. If we kept the ball better it would give the midfield a chance to support however is up top. Glatzel is always isolated and out muscled by 2 CM's which has been the same the last few seasons and the reason why our strikers do so poorly in terms of scoring goals.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:01 am

Says it all , that we are questioning the departing managers tactics, style and formation so soon into his fourth and final season.

And rightly so.

That’s where we are at.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:15 am

blue lagoon wrote:Etherige

Park Bacona Ralls
Glatzel Murphy

Pelts isn’t good enough going forward to play wing back. I like the idea of it though especially away.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 am

I don't think its a case of playing two strikers, when we have done that previously we just seemed to get overrun in midfield and had 2 players not doing a lot.

Personally I think Patterson at the moment is part of the problem, just lumping it up to him isn't a plan. We need the better skilled players playing as the number 10 and the wingers to get a licence to maybe not track back every time and be allowed to get closer to the strikers. At the moment whoever the striker is had a very hard job.

Personally against Derby I thought it was missed chance, there defence didn't like being pressed, someone like Hoilett in the number 10 role would have done it imo

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:03 pm

I also believe Paterson is the problem.

He is neither a second striker with a taller equally mobile main striker. He is not an attacking midfielder, nor a central or defensive midfielder. He may be our main striker if Glatzel, Boggle or Vassell are not up to it but I can't see any difference in him or Boggle.

I also think Tomlin is another issue, yes he has lost weight, but he just doesn't have the required athleticism for the role in a Warnock team where we are chasing not holding onto the ball.

Even though 442 is now considered old hat, that doesn't mean 4231 and especially 433 are any younger. Liverpool play 433 as good as I have seen any dutch team and they play with three forwards but they have 3 genuine midfielders. I assume Glatzel, Murphy and NML are our 1st choice forwards, that is some fire power.

We need three midfielders in midfield not two and a half and half

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Glatzel in the hole behind Bogle might be a shout. He can actually pass the ball so could link the play. Just get Paterson out of there immediately.