Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Time for a change?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:48 pm

When Sol Bamba is back might we benefit from a change in formation?
A back 3 of Bamba, Flint and Morrison would probably strengthen us at the back and would surely be a source of goals from free kicks, corners and long throws. Bennett would be comfortable at left wingback, right wingback would be an issue as I don't see Pelts being a natural wingback. Playing wingbacks would allow us to play 3 in central midfield....I'd go for Pack, Bacuna and Ralls, with Pack and Bacuna offering some extra cover to the 3 CBs. Up front you could go with 2 strikers such as Bogle and Vassell or Glatzel and Vassell or a big striker with Tomlin or Hoilett or even Gavin Whyte playing off him.
At right wingback it may be possible to use NML or Murphy as long as they are prepared to get up and down the flanks, just like Wolves use Traore, or perhaps Cameron Coxe could step up. For me that's the only tricky position in this formation.

Re: Time for a change?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:05 pm

No because wingers is our strongest area and playing 5 at the back limits them.

Re: Time for a change?

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:28 pm

phildavies wrote:No because wingers is our strongest area and playing 5 at the back limits them.

Not working for us at the moment though are they? Not many crosses coming in from our wingers. Hoilett and Whyte both have the skill set to operate in an advanced midfield position or as a number 10. Murphy AND NML can come off the bench if we need to change formation or could be used as wingbacks (not both at the same time though) just like Wolves use Traore. Just a thought. What we got now ain't working. :thumbup: