Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Playing out from the back

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Watching the Arsenal game and the goal they just conceeded

I'm so glad we dont do that, I dont see the benefit of it at all. I understand it is to retain possession but it is so risky and pretty easy to counter.
Everybody seems to be doing it now even in the championship.

The pressure it puts the defenders under is not worth the risk

Re: Playing out from the back

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:08 pm

You're right about so many teams in the Championship trying to do it.

Many Premier League teams are struggling with it and if you lose the ball that far up the pitch you are going to be in big trouble. Look at what happened to Man City yesterday for the third Norwich goal.

Defences in the Championship are going to be even more vulnerable and I would love to see us really putting pressure on the opposition when they try to play out from the keeper and do everything we can to win the ball back as high up the pitch as possible.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Fulham did it all game against us and we simply pressed them and stopped them playing! Downside was it wasted so much time and disrupted the flow of game it had to be worst football game seen in many a year....

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:14 pm

thomasblue wrote:Watching the Arsenal game and the goal they just conceeded

I'm so glad we dont do that, I dont see the benefit of it at all. I understand it is to retain possession but it is so risky and pretty easy to counter.
Everybody seems to be doing it now even in the championship.

The pressure it puts the defenders under is not worth the risk

Spot on. It seems to be the in thing but there is no doubt that since more teams have started playing the ball out from the back it has led to a sharp increase in defensive errors leading to goals. Even all the top teams have given needless goals away & they still continue to put their defences/keeper under huge pressure. Why not just throw it to one of your players further up the pitch? or safer still just bang it down there. If keepers improved their throwing/kicking they should on many occasions be able to find one of their own players well away from the penalty area.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:29 pm

The problem is all these teams are to stupid to realise not to do it when being pressed. Look at Man city for example press them and they will happily launch it over the back into space for the attackers to run onto. Arsenal along with many other teams however just constantly pass it even though it risky and has no rewards. Its a good tactic when not being pressed by its all about playing where your opposition isnt to exploit them. More teams need to realise this and launch it when being pressed. Its also even worse now that home players are allowed in the box from GK they pass it like 4 yards and get pressed right by their goal line uterly idiotic.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:32 am

davids wrote:You're right about so many teams in the Championship trying to do it.

Many Premier League teams are struggling with it and if you lose the ball that far up the pitch you are going to be in big trouble. Look at what happened to Man City yesterday for the third Norwich goal.

Defences in the Championship are going to be even more vulnerable and I would love to see us really putting pressure on the opposition when they try to play out from the keeper and do everything we can to win the ball back as high up the pitch as possible.

Usually all our midfield players and wingers are way back in our own half by then so unable to press which just leaves Glatzel chasing shadows.

It’s not a tactic Warnock employs.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:22 am

I really done get it, not sure if im supposed to be impressed when it works but it just seems daft to me. There are better ways at keeping possession than the nonsense some clubs do.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 pm

phildavies wrote:The problem is all these teams are to stupid to realise not to do it when being pressed. Look at Man city for example press them and they will happily launch it over the back into space for the attackers to run onto. Arsenal along with many other teams however just constantly pass it even though it risky and has no rewards. Its a good tactic when not being pressed by its all about playing where your opposition isnt to exploit them. More teams need to realise this and launch it when being pressed. Its also even worse now that home players are allowed in the box from GK they pass it like 4 yards and get pressed right by their goal line uterly idiotic.

That's the point of doing it though, they know a team will press them and commit a few players. By doing it, if you are a good passing team, you can take 3 or 4 attacking players out of the game and pretty much hit a team on a counter attack from a goal kick. It also allows teams who like to play out from the back to do so as defenders can no longer be man marked to prevent a short goal kick. It is a risk some teams are willing to take and will no doubt result in more teams conceding goals as we seen with Man city and Arsenal. I cant see city doing it any time soon :lol:

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:41 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
davids wrote:You're right about so many teams in the Championship trying to do it.

Usually all our midfield players and wingers are way back in our own half by then so unable to press which just leaves Glatzel chasing shadows.

Fair point.

I doubt that in his last year as a manager he's going to change much either!

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:13 pm

davids wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

Fair point.

I doubt that in his last year as a manager he's going to change much either!

:lol:

No mate, I think he’s long past that stage.