Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Great News: ' Neil Etheridge '

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Neil Etheridge starts for Under 23s this afternoon, good news.

Re: Etheridge

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Cardiff City have just been handed a massive fitness boost ahead of Middlesbrough game

The Bluebirds could have one player in contention for Boro's visit this weekend

Monday 16th September 2019

Cardiff City have just been handed a huge fitness boost after Neil Etheridge was named to play in his first competitive game since the opening day of the season.

The Bluebirds No.1 has been sidelined with a grade three hamstring tear, which he sustained in the defeat by Wigan, but Neil Warnock has hinted he is near a return to the first-team fray.

And now there has been the biggest indication yet that Etheridge could be in line for a recall this weekend after he was today named in the Under-23s team to face Sheffield Wednesday.

However, Etheridge is not a shoo-in to return between the sticks for the senior side against Middlesbrough this Saturday, with the incumbent, Alex Smithies, having grabbed his chance with both hands and impressing in recent weeks.

It means Warnock is likely to face somewhat of a selection dilemma this weekend should the Philippines international prove he is back to full fitness.

Etheridge lined up against the young Owls alongside Gary Madine, Curtis Nelson and Isaac Vassell, while promising youngsters Cameron Coxe, James Waite and Aaron Bolger also feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Great News: ' Neil Etheridge '

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Undefeated in 5 games

I don't think he'll walk back in to Middlesbrough game

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 pm

NIBluebird wrote:Undefeated in 5 games

I don't think he'll walk back in to Middlesbrough game

He should as he is miles better than Smithies.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Always worries me when players return from inuuries and that being they are not as good as they use to be Rhys Healey being a prime example.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:04 pm

This is great news - Can’t wait to see him back on the pitch very soon!

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Smithies deserves the #1 shirt at the moment
Etheridge should wait his chance like Smithies has done.

Bringing etheridge back in will be damaging to our defence which is looking more settled now, to be honest there is not much between them anyway.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:52 pm

thomasblue wrote:Smithies deserves the #1 shirt at the moment

Bringing etheridge back in will be damaging to our defence which is looking more settled now, to be honest there is not much between them anyway.

How is it looking more settled have you seen the goals we have conceded in recent games?

Etheridge is the better keeper so should come straight back in.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:39 pm

phildavies wrote:

How is it looking more settled have you seen the goals we have conceded in recent games?

Etheridge is much better than Smithies and will return in goals as soon as he is fit :thumbup:

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:44 pm

phildavies wrote:

Not one of the goals conceded was Smithies fault !

Derby was a defensive mistake

Fulham and huddersfield were both very poor defending

Blackburn was a clean sheet

Reading was shocking by everyone by Smithies got man of the match even though it was 3-0

He deserves his place in the side and I think Warnock will stick with him

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Etheridge is much better than Smithies and will return in goals as soon as he is fit :thumbup:

They are both very average championship keepers

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:46 pm

I’d keepSmithies at the moment,

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 pm

I think Smithie will keep his place on Saturday but Etheridge, being the better keeper, will regain the number one slot before too long.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 pm

I think Smithies has got better game on game, for me he starts Saturday.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:49 am

Wonderful News, Great!!!

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Always worries me when players return from inuuries and that being they are not as good as they use to be Rhys Healey being a prime example.

Hardly the same. Healy had a massive knee Injury, Ethridge has been out for a few weeks.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:06 am

2blue2handle wrote:I think Smithies has got better game on game, for me he starts Saturday.

Totally agree.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 am

Superb news that he’s starting for U23’s, I wouldn’t risk him for Boro this weekend though, give him another week 1st to be safe then get him back in goal

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:12 am

thomasblue wrote:
phildavies wrote:

Not one of the goals conceded was Smithies fault !

Derby was a defensive mistake

Fulham and huddersfield were both very poor defending

Blackburn was a clean sheet

Reading was shocking by everyone by Smithies got man of the match even though it was 3-0

He deserves his place in the side and I think Warnock will stick with him

No not one of them agreed there have been about three or four that Etheridge would have saved :thumbup:

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:12 am

snoopystorm wrote:Superb news that he’s starting for U23’s, I wouldn’t risk him for Boro this weekend though, give him another week 1st to be safe then get him back in goal

Agreed he's much the better keeper but may need a week or two, unless he faultless and ready t return, Warnock will know :thumbup:

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 am

thomasblue wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
phildavies wrote:

They are both very average championship keepers

:laughing6: :laughing6: :laughing6: funny

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 am

nubbsy wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Always worries me when players return from inuuries and that being they are not as good as they use to be Rhys Healey being a prime example.

Hardly the same. Healy had a massive knee Injury, Ethridge has been out for a few weeks.

And Healey wasn’t good enough for the championship before he got injured.

Bad comparison really.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:43 am

Llan_Blue wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

And Healey wasn’t good enough for the championship before he got injured.

Bad comparison really.

Healy wasn't up to it before or after the injury, lets be honest.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:46 am

Quite a Dilema for NW, Smithies saved us a point at Derby but how would he react to being dropped.
I would back Neil E as he has a habit of keeping clean sheets.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:52 pm

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:This is great news - Can’t wait to see him back on the pitch very soon!

:thumbup: