Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who gets the shirt for Middlesbrough

You may select 1 option

View results

Smithies or Etheridge pole

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 pm

Who should be number 1 now that Etheridge is fit again

Smithies has been playing well but has he done enough to keep the shirt and make Etheridge fight for his place back ?

Surely it would be harsh if Warnock let Etheridge wall back into the team and would lower morale

It could even possibly upset the defence which has started to look a lot more settled.

Warnock has a tough decision with this one

Re: Smithies or Etheridge pole

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:42 pm

Absolute no brainer for me! Etheridge is the best keeper at the club by a country mile. Whilst Smithies has done a decent job he’s nowhere near Etheridge standard, and anyone who thinks he is must have a very short memory.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 pm

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/u2 ... rdiff-city
Just have a read of that too, sounds like he’s straight back on form. Look forward to watching the highlights when they are up.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 am

Smithies for now, kicking out so much better, commands box beyter

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:37 am

Etheridge is the best of the two from what I’ve seen and he’ll be back when he’s fully fit as he’s the clubs number one.

The upsetting of the defence is nonsense as they’ve been pretty bad, unsettled and have made big individual mistakes without him.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:07 am

For the Middlesbrough game is Smithies for me.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:49 am

Easy for the boro game, Smithies, if he continues to play well he keeps his place.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 am

Etheridge is our No.1, but as a precaution I’d start Smithies against Boro and let Neil get some game time with the U23’s and start him next weekend

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:02 am

thomasblue wrote:Who should be number 1 now that Etheridge is fit again

Smithies has been playing well but has he done enough to keep the shirt and make Etheridge fight for his place back ?

Surely it would be harsh if Warnock let Etheridge wall back into the team and would lower morale

It could even possibly upset the defence which has started to look a lot more settled.

Warnock has a tough decision with this one

Told you 34 to 10 Etheridge is the better keeper by miles :thumbup:

Might take a week or two more though to get back up to speed :thumbup:

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Makes no difference who's in goals, our defence looks a shambles when anyone with pace runs at them.

But for what its worth Etheridge is the better shot stopper but Smithies distribution is by far better.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:08 pm

dazza wrote:Makes no difference who's in goals, our defence looks a shambles when anyone with pace runs at them.

But for what its worth Etheridge is the better shot stopper but Smithies distribution is by far better.

The defence are more confident with Etheridge behind them, thats one of the main reasons he is better, the whole team play better, not knocking Smithies mind, he's a top half keeper, it's just Etheridge isn the number one and is better.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Smithies on Saturday.

He's improved since he first came in the team and made some good saves. Better distribution than Etheridge now as well.

For those reasons, there is no need to rush Etheridge back in. He's only played one development match since recovering.

Etheridge is our number one and will come back into the team, but we don't need to rush it.

We've rushed players back in the past and it's lead to them being out for even longer - let's learn from past mistakes.

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:Absolute no brainer for me! Etheridge is the best keeper at the club by a country mile. Whilst Smithies has done a decent job he’s nowhere near Etheridge standard, and anyone who thinks he is must have a very short memory.

Spot On .

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:05 pm

Bluebina wrote:
dazza wrote:Makes no difference who's in goals, our defence looks a shambles when anyone with pace runs at them.

The defence are more confident with Etheridge behind them, thats one of the main reasons he is better, the whole team play better, not knocking Smithies mind, he's a top half keeper, it's just Etheridge isn the number one and is better.

Etheridge hasn't even played 90 minutes this season with Flint infront of him, pretty big assumption.

I would say the team look far happier playing the ball back to Smithies, we even take throw ins back to Smithies which very rarely happened with Etherirdge (rightly so).

For me, Etheridge awaits his turn now, they both have their strengths and weaknesses but its Smithies shirt to lose.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:29 pm

Easiest choice in our squad right their. Etheridge the best keeper by miles.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 pm

Is it a North pole or a South pole ?

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:42 am

Charlie Harper wrote:Is it a North pole or a South pole ?

:lol: