Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T - Climate Change

Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Off topic but I am just interested in peoples thoughts on climate change. Do you think it is man made and driven by C02 ?

I used to believe in this theory but have recently been listening to Piers Corbyn (Jeremy's brother) and also Dr Tim Ball who have theories about the sun and solar activity being the reason for climate change.

Some of the evidence even shows that over 1 billion years ago (when the earth was covered in ice) the atmosphere had around 40% C02, compared to the 0.04% now. Of that figure, only 4% of C02 in the atmosphere comes from humans. So the statistics don't really support the theory.

They even go as far as stating that man made climate change is a hoax in order to advance a one world government. Below is a link to to one of Piers Corbyns TV interviews, discussing his theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... xKWtVMGW18

Re: O/T - Climate Change

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Interesting, what that indicates is that CO2 concentrations are key in temperature control. Are you sure those figures are correct, that’s a hundred fold decrease which seems a lot..

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:23 pm

rumpo kid wrote:Interesting, what that indicates is that CO2 concentrations are key in temperature control. Are you sure those figures are correct, that’s a hundred fold decrease which seems a lot..

A document from the EPA states humans are responsible for 3% of the Co2 being released into the atmosphere. Link: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/29/ ... n-sources/

You can find the 0.04% quite easily through Google from both skeptics and those who push the Co2 theory. Here is an example: https://www.sciencealert.com/co2-is-onl ... here-s-why

With regards to your point about temperature control and Co2. It is actually the opposite, rises in Co2 happen after temperature rise not before. Link: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/09/09/ ... l-records/

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Dont believe in man made climate change , notice how they've dropped global warming now? The earth was warmer pre industrial revolution, plastic pollution is a far bigger problem

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Agree with Wez 100%.

Man made climate change is pseudo science that has been continuously debunked and at best is one giant pyramid scheme, at worst a terrifying control mechanism of a globalist agenda.

Plastic pollution is a genuine concern.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:44 am

Disagree with the conspiracies about climate change. If it was one big conspiracy then there’s no way that Russia, China and seemingly the US are trying to deny it

Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:39 am

Remember corana pop bottles , beer and cider bottles all with deposits on them . I used to make a small fortune on returns. No plastic to be seen .

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:09 am

JasonFowler1991 wrote:Off topic but I am just interested in peoples thoughts on climate change. Do you think it is man made and driven by C02 ?

I used to believe in this theory but have recently been listening to Piers Corbyn (Jeremy's brother) and also Dr Tim Ball who have theories about the sun and solar activity being the reason for climate change.

Some of the evidence even shows that over 1 billion years ago (when the earth was covered in ice) the atmosphere had around 40% C02, compared to the 0.04% now. Of that figure, only 4% of C02 in the atmosphere comes from humans. So the statistics don't really support the theory.

They even go as far as stating that man made climate change is a hoax in order to advance a one world government. Below is a link to to one of Piers Corbyns TV interviews, discussing his theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... xKWtVMGW18

The logical summation would be that the C02 emissions are where they are today because the earth is now covered in trees and not ice although man is doing his best to rectify that.It's also a mute point but not much that we would identify as life(as we know it Jim)was concerned with the level of C02 content in the atmosphere a feckin bilion years ago!.Also these theories doesn't state how much C02 in the atmosphere is needed to render human life extinct,I don't either but I'll wager its way,way,way below 40%

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:15 am

Very interesting & serious subject. I'm not up to speed with the facts, but I totally agree with the threat of plastic, & other man made pollutant's being a major threat, not only now, but way into the foreseeable future.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:44 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:the earth is now covered in trees and not ice although man is doing his best to rectify that.

The data would suggest otherwise on this point. The world is actually getting greener (I.e more trees) by a substantial amount over the last 30 years according to NASA data -arguments have been made on both sides of the climate change debate as to whether it is a good or bad thing but the whole narrative of man destroying the lungs of the planet through deforestation appears to be wide of the mark.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:49 am

An interesting side topic in this area is how the use of Thorium could offer cheap nuclear energy far more efficient than wind or solar with a much shorter life (300 years vs. 10,000 years) of waste product and can even be used to reduce the life of existing nuclear waste at the same time.

Interesting Ted talk on it here for those interested https://youtu.be/tHO1ebNxhVI

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:the earth is now covered in trees and not ice although man is doing his best to rectify that.

but the whole narrative of man destroying the lungs of the planet through deforestation appears to be wide of the mark.

Appears? Well if I'm wrong there's egg of my face,if your'e wrong there's egg on everyone's face.

And as for the Amazon rainforest,its not just the trees,its the geographical location,the altitude,etc.Planting pine forests in the northern hemisphere doesn't even come close.And then of course there's the effect it has on the weather.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:22 am

I'm not 100% convinced by Climate Change.

However, I think there is a lot of common sense in making and using green energy. I think it was a huge mistake not to go ahead with the Bristol channel barrage and I would be happy with solar panels on my roof and a wind turbine in my back garden.

Also it appears that the key to the planets temperature control is the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Surely the answer is CO2 capture? Plant more trees and stop felling the ones we have. There are other technologies which can capture CO2 and it should be mandatory for industry to use them.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:
ealing_ayatollah wrote:

but the whole narrative of man destroying the lungs of the planet through deforestation appears to be wide of the mark.

Appears? Well if I'm wrong there's egg of my face,if your'e wrong there's egg on everyone's face.

And as for the Amazon rainforest,its not just the trees,its the geographical location,the altitude,etc.Planting pine forests in the northern hemisphere doesn't even come close.And then of course there's the effect it has on the weather.

Theres certainly truth in much of what you say re:location altitude etc. However, there is also a huge amount of hysteria at the moment and deceptive news showing images some 30 years old and quoting largest fires on record but somehow mysteriously deciding to ignore all records pre 2013.

Bot suggesting this is anything in line with what your saying just saying a lot of the hyperbole out there about the world burning even being tweeted by Macron is wrong and needs counterbalance.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:I'm not 100% convinced by Climate Change.

However, I think there is a lot of common sense in making and using green energy. I think it was a huge mistake not to go ahead with the Bristol channel barrage and I would be happy with solar panels on my roof and a wind turbine in my back garden.

Also it appears that the key to the planets temperature control is the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Surely the answer is CO2 capture? Plant more trees and stop felling the ones we have. There are other technologies which can capture CO2 and it should be mandatory for industry to use them.

Problem with wind and solar is it just doesnt work. Germany is a global leader in implementing both to meet very tough targets and have in doing so have not only massively increased their cost for energy but also their carbon footprint.

Hydro is effective in certain locations and agree the Bristol Channel barrage should have gone ahead. Other than that Nuclear is the only viable clean energy that could replace fossil fuel, at least from what I've read - although I admit I'm not as well read on the topic as I'd like to be.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Problem with wind and solar is it just doesnt work. Germany is a global leader in implementing both to meet very tough targets and have in doing so have not only massively increased their cost for energy but also their carbon footprint.

Hydro is effective in certain locations and agree the Bristol Channel barrage should have gone ahead. Other than that Nuclear is the only viable clean energy that could replace fossil fuel, at least from what I've read - although I admit I'm not as well read on the topic as I'd like to be.

100% agree tidal energy is an untapped energy we need more focus on it ,its 24hours renewable energy

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Hope they hold back from fixing the climate too soon. Lovely sitting out my back garden this afternoon. ;)

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Great having all this cheap renuable energy but us Joe public dont see benefits of it with lower energy prices? Just greater profits for shareholders!

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:30 am

Agree about the barrage, and it should be combined with a road. Very expensive but cost will eventually be offset. Trouble is the WAG and Drakeford, and their town council mentality.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 am

rumpo kid wrote:Agree about the barrage, and it should be combined with a road. Very expensive but cost will eventually be offset. Trouble is the WAG and Drakeford, and their town council mentality.

Agree about a road it will relieve pressure on new port too with traffic coming from south west england

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

Wind and Solar energy does work but I think your point is valid if you are referring to it's unreliability and the fact that the energy produced can't be stored so we need better battery technology? There will be an obvious increase in a carbon footprint whilst these technologies are developed and manufactured but it should then wane.

That said we seem to totally agree Hydro is the obvious underused green energy and the UK should invest heavily in this area.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:18 am

This is a multi faceted discussion, not given any justice by liberal teacher/schools playing politics.

The one fact is the world is warming. An issue for the data geeks is we only have had measuring and recording apparatus for a tiny percentage of the world history.

I have seen the sun flare argument but can't buy into that. Yes the thing that warms the earth has a major affect but the warming is exponential.

I do believe warming is caused by man, through population increase. I have seen a great graph, better than the site i linked but IMO this is the reason.

https://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2 ... ntrations/

The question is how to we stop the increase n Co2 as the world population looks likely to increase ?

Do China, Russia and India deserve the right to build multiple power station burning cheap coal and gas or piss poor nuclear power station with still 60 years after their creation, no idea how to dispose of the spent fuel rods ?

I am a massive green energy fan, Not just for the earth but so we can simply all ignore the middle east and let them continue with their daft tribal wars with the rest of us not caring.

I don't think their is one answer, just a congregation of many.

Agree with Wez on plastic pollution, we all need to think about that.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:53 am

They say the ozone whole is the smallest in 30yrs always thought that was one of the guides to global warming? Well that's what the people say anyway? :old:

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:40 pm

The scientists and experts say it is down to man yet Donald Trump says it's a myth, I know who I would believe. Of course it's man made, we've got a one way ticket to self destruction, our seasons are changing, the glaziers are melting and wildlife is in rapid decline but hey, Love Island and X Factor will be back on soon.