Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Respect the result of the 1975 referendum.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:27 am

Remain won,leave lost.Brexit doesn't respect the democratic decision we made then,why should we now?

The cornerstone of every brexiteers argument I've talked to has been to repeatedly bleet "We won-you lost get over it"
which is why I'd like to remain and honour the FIRST democratic decision.

The Lisbon Treaty in Parliament
In the UK , the EU (Amendment) Bill received Royal Assent on 19th June 2008, and the UK government ratified the Treaty on 16 July. The UK was the 19th EU country to complete Parliamentary approval of the Lisbon Treaty.

We signed up to it so can't complain.

Discuss :twisted:

Re: Respect the result of the 1975 referendum.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:10 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Remain won,leave lost.Brexit doesn't respect the democratic decision we made then,why should we now?

The cornerstone of every brexiteers argument I've talked to has been to repeatedly bleet "We won-you lost get over it"

In the UK , the EU (Amendment) Bill received Royal Assent on 19th June 2008, and the UK government ratified the Treaty on 16 July. The UK was the 19th EU country to complete Parliamentary approval of the Lisbon Treaty.

me thinks youre just seeking attention

Discuss

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:Remain won,leave lost.Brexit doesn't respect the democratic decision we made then,why should we now?

Knob.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:53 am

The 1975 referendum was to join the Economic Common Market (ECC). That is what the people voted for.

The Lison Treaty was to basically sign our rights away. That was voted for by the Government of the day. No such vote was given to the People.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:54 am

I voted yes in 1975. I would vote yes again to remain in the EEC as it was then. I would vote no again if there were another EU referendum. I believe that it's original purpose which was all about easing trade restrictions between member countries was a good idea. We had no idea as to what it was going to lead to back in those days.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

I voted yes in 1975. I would vote yes again to remain in the EEC as it was then. I would vote no again if there were another EU referendum. I believe that it's original purpose which was all about easing trade restrictions between member countries was a good idea. We had no idea as to what it was going to lead to back in those days.
Spot on.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:01 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

me thinks youre just seeking attention

Discuss

Look at me look at me.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:03 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Me to mate, unbeknownst to the proles like me and you, Heath was already working towards a Federal Europe,the duplicitous prick.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:07 pm

If thats the case we can have another vote in 40 years time then, You did lose end of !!! :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:58 pm

The 2016 vote reinforces the 75 by reverting to a trading arrangement with Europe, so the OP is a leaver.

As to Sneg being an attention seeking pansy, further discussion is indeed worthy.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Davidspeers59 wrote:

If thats the case we can have another vote in 40 years time then, You did lose end of !!! :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Are you sure :lol:

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:35 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Like you I voted remain in the 75 referendum. I was 18 and it was the first time I had had the vote. Like you I was lead to believe that the aim was simply to ease trade between the EEC countries. A year later I went to University and studied amongst other things Western European Intergration. There it became clear that the founding fathers of the EEC- Monet being the chief architect- had far greater plans but deliberately set out on a process of gradualism that would lead to a European State. It was to be hidden from us masses as they knew it would not be acceptable if the true agenda was spelt out. Since that time I have watched Monets plan unravel almost but not quite to the European state that was planned. Had it not been for the UK we would probably be there by now. Its a shame that Cameron came back with so little that we voted to leave but he left people like me, who were waverers, with no choice but to vote out. And like you I would vote to remain in an EEC as it was then but not as it became.
Not quite sure what all this has to with Cardiff City, mind!!

Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:19 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

Like you I voted remain in the 75 referendum. I was 18 and it was the first time I had had the vote. Like you I was lead to believe that the aim was simply to ease trade between the EEC countries. A year later I went to University and studied amongst other things Western European Intergration. There it became clear that the founding fathers of the EEC- Monet being the chief architect- had far greater plans but deliberately set out on a process of gradualism that would lead to a European State. It was to be hidden from us masses as they knew it would not be acceptable if the true agenda was spelt out. Since that time I have watched Monets plan unravel almost but not quite to the European state that was planned. Had it not been for the UK we would probably be there by now. Its a shame that Cameron came back with so little that we voted to leave but he left people like me, who were waverers, with no choice but to vote out. And like you I would vote to remain in an EEC as it was then but not as it became.
Not quite sure what all this has to with Cardiff City, mind!!

We were lied to back then, and nothing much has changed since. I guess as we become older, we no longer take what the politicians say as gospel. I think we tend to look into things a lot more, whereas we assumed politicians were honest people back then. We know now it's all about control, and politics benefits the few while the masses pay. Unfortunately, there will always be enough people around for them to fool, and nothing will change. As I have been saying since the referendum, we will never be free of the EU, a few hundred career politicians will see to that.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 pm

SHhhhhhhhhhhh,hear that?thats the sound of men in white coats approaching !

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:39 am

The unwritten rule is a referendum result has a mandate for a generation (around 25 years). This is because it is not reasonable to hold the next generations to the mandate which was given by the last generation.

At some point in the future there will be another EU in/out referendum until then YOU LOST get over it. :D

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:43 am

So unwritten nobody's ever heard of it,still monday's judgement is huge and if it goes against the PM I think another delay is inevitable and then who knows.This is a long way from being done.

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:46 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:So unwritten nobody's ever heard of it,still monday's judgement is huge and if it goes against the PM I think another delay is inevitable and then who knows.This is a long way from being done.

Both the Scottish and EU referendum's were described as a once in a 'generation' decisions :roll: I have also explained the logic behind once in a generation referendum but you as radicalised remainer have chosen to ignore it.

Also are you aware that the current court case has nothing to do with the referendum or BREXIT? It is about the powers of the executive to prorogue Parliament. Courts interfering in Parliament is a very sad day and will come back to bite the arse of future Governments who will wish they had never opened this Pandora's box.

If there is another delay then between now and the 31st January (the likely extension) there will be another General Election. I can see carnage in Labour leave seats including my own in Newport as Labour leavers desert the Party and return MP's who reflect better the views of the constituents who want to leave the EU.

Hopefully our so called 'representative' democracy will better reflect the majority view of the people rather than the minority view of the so called elite.

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:

The unwritten rule is a referendum result has a mandate for a generation (around 25 years). This is because it is not reasonable to hold the next generations to the mandate which was given by the last generation.

At some point in the future there will be another EU in/out referendum until then YOU LOST get over it. :D

The unwritten rule is that its only a once in a generation mandate if the establishment get the result they wanted.