Neil Warnock's Neil Etheridge decision ahead of Cardiff City

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:23 am

Neil Warnock's Neil Etheridge decision ahead of Cardiff City's clash with Middlesbrough and his Lewis Holtby admission

Friday 20th September 2019

The Bluebirds' No 1 has been out since the first game of the season

The Bluebirds' No 1 has been out since the first game of the season

Neil Warnock has admitted he faces a selection dilemma for Cardiff City's clash with Middlesbrough as Neil Etheridge nears full fitness.

The Philippines international has been missing since he sustained a grade three hamstring tear against Wigan on the opening day of the season.

Alex Smithies took the gloves the following game and has grown in confidence in recent weeks, turning out an impressive display against Derby County last weekend.

Etheridge, however, made a return to action earlier this week when Cardiff's Under-23s beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 and has trained well this week.

It means Warnock now faces a tough decision as to whether to reinstate his No.1, who had an outstanding season in the Premier League, or stick with the incumbent who has visibly grown in confidence for the visit of Middlesbrough on Saturday.

"I will be speaking to Neil," Warnock said. "I have watched him as well. You've just got to be so careful with those things. Players always tell you they are fit. So I will have to make a decision on that. I will speak to them both today, but I think Smithies has done well as well.

"We always knew we had good keepers. I feel a bit sorry for Joe (Day) because I thought one of the keepers would leave in the summer. Joe’s done nothing wrong, either. We are in the best situation we could be in regarding keepers."

Alex Smithies has grown in confidence in recent weeks

While Cardiff are well stocked between the sticks, there is enough room for only one player. So, does Warnock believe Etheridge is the outright No.1?

"You see the season he had last season, it was a tremendous season. I bought Smithies to give him competition and that’s exactly what he’s done, I would think two of the best keepers in our division.

"Etheridge has had quite a severe hamstring injury which he has not had before. It's the same with Marlon Pack, he has not had one of those either, so you’ve just got to be a little bit careful with them."
Attachments
7C857A95-586F-4EF9-AAB7-093196C23D09.jpeg
7C857A95-586F-4EF9-AAB7-093196C23D09.jpeg (128.06 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Neil Warnock's Neil Etheridge decision ahead of Cardiff

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Suggests to me he will be straight back in.

Personally id leave let Smithies keep his place for now.
2blue2handle

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:24 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Suggests to me he will be straight back in.

Personally id leave let Smithies keep his place for now.

Me too, I don’t see the need to rush him back though I believe he’s a better keeper and will regain the no.1 spot.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby thomasblue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:50 pm

I think he will stick with Smithies for Boro

Then the big decision will be made after that as its poiness rushing Etheridge back when it's not needed, better to make sure he is fully fit than risk anything
thomasblue

Return to General Chat