Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ NEIL WARNOCK ON HIS DECISIONS ‘

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:10 am

Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock faced the media after the game and spoke about Josh Murphy's substitution, the goalkeeper dilemma and his verdict on the win over Boro.

Sunday 22nd September 2019

Here's what Neil Warnock said.

Q. Your verdict on the win?

"I thought it was a good performance. I told the lads that it was more like us.

"Against a good team, I don't think we gave them much of a look in, we were dominant. There were a lot of pluses for us today.

"Not just the work rate, but the football we played as well.

"I'm pleased with Leandro Bacuna and Gavin Whyte. Joe Ralls played with another injury today and you wouldn't have thought he was struggling the way he put himself about."

Q. Why was Josh Murphy pulled off at half time?

"He had sickness and diarrhoea and stomach cramps. They were saying 'can we get him back on', but looking at him, he didn't look that good.

"There was no point in risking him, with Robert Glatzel going down as well. We didn't know whether it was something in the camp.

"I've told the doctor to isolate these two guys and make sure we don't have anymore spreading around."

Q. Was Neil Etheridge fully fit?

"Neil Etheridge was fully fit. Andy Dibble said he would like to give him another full week's training, really high intensity. All credit to Neil, when I had a chat with him, he was excellent.

"In all fairness to Alex Smithies, he has had a year without getting a look in and he's not let us down since he's come in. Neil's been very good and supportive of him, so I'm really happy.

"The same with Joe Day, it's probably the best time in my career with goalkeepers."

Q. You're starting to look more yourselves, is it not far away from clicking?

"Every game is different. We haven't won away from home yet, even though we have had opportunities.

"I just think we are getting more like us. We know where we are.

"Football is difficult for managers nowadays, because you are only six games away from disaster, so you just have to get on.

"But I have a great squad, a good bunch.

"But when you get good backing from the fans as well. There is no place like this place. You can't tell me another stadium in England and Wales with the atmosphere as good as that so all credit to the fans.

Q. Your appraisal of Gavin Whyte's performance?

"I think Lee Peltier has got a good chance of playing for England if Gavin Whyte keeps on playing in front of him.

"He plays with a cigar, Peltier, with Whyte in front of him.

"He doesn't know any different. He's a little bit naive. I look at some of the free-kicks their players got and some Gavin could have got, and you might say I shouldn't encourage him to do that, but it needs to be a little bit more professional at times.

"Will that take away the naivety and freshness and enjoyment that I get from watching him?

"I always tell him, 'when you get it, run at them. Inside, outside, go and enjoy it.' And he looks like he's enjoying it. That's what the game is all about."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.