Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Vince Alm: “ Sad news “

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm

VINCE ALM:

RIP :ayatollah:

Sad news a well known supporters Club member for as long as I can remember passed away after the game yesterday.

Many of you will know Les Hayes if not by name but by his face from the away games. He very rarely missed an away game and would travel on the supporters coach even when Cardiff were really crap in the 80s and 90s getting on at the Malpas pick up. Lovely man always good for a debate about the football but a gentleman.

He has been battling Motor neurone disease in recent years and managed to attend yesterday game, but collapsed at Grangetown train station last night and didn't recover.

Thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time will be missed by many of us from the supporters club.

RIP Les

Re: Vince Alm: “ Sad news “

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Rest In Peace Bluebird. :bluebird:

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:41 pm

So sad

Thoughts with the family and friends

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:51 pm

RIP

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:46 pm

R.I.P Fellow bluebird :bluebird:

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:59 pm

I remember Les getting on the supporters coach under the bridge at Malpas junction for every away games when mike lambert ran the supporters club
Never missed a game I even went to Aarhus with him mike hurley Martin nott

Rip Les

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:02 pm

RIP Blooooobird :bluebird:

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Rest in peace. What a horrible condition mnd is. I pray they can do more to fight this in time :(

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:48 pm

RIP BLUEBIRD

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:47 pm

RIP Bluebird

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:50 pm

R.I.P Les
A proper fan who loved the city

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:28 pm

RIP

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for the comments. Les was my uncle and although it’s not been easy for him with his illness, I had been taking him to games over recent months. Me and my young son took him yesterday and although it was an awful shock how quickly it happened, we have to be grateful that he spend his last day doing what he loved more than anything, watching his beloved City win at home.
He’d been following the Bluebirds home and away for nearly 60 years and made lifelong friendships, no surprise as he was such a lovely bloke.

Just have to mention the lads that worked so hard to try to save Les while the emergency services were on their way, one of which I’ve talked to today and also the lady that looked after my 7 year old son while it was going on. If anyone knows her I would really appreciate it if you let me know who she is so I can thank her personally.

If it’s ok il will post the funeral details on here for anyone that might want to pay their respects.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 am

harold pinta wrote:Just wanted to say thank you for the comments. Les was my uncle and although it’s not been easy for him with his illness, I had been taking him to games over recent months. Me and my young son took him yesterday and although it was an awful shock how quickly it happened, we have to be grateful that he spend his last day doing what he loved more than anything, watching his beloved City win at home.
He’d been following the Bluebirds home and away for nearly 60 years and made lifelong friendships, no surprise as he was such a lovely bloke.

Just have to mention the lads that worked so hard to try to save Les while the emergency services were on their way, one of which I’ve talked to today and also the lady that looked after my 7 year old son while it was going on. If anyone knows her I would really appreciate it if you let me know who she is so I can thank her personally.

If it’s ok il will post the funeral details on here for anyone that might want to pay their respects.

Sorry for your loss mate and RIP to your Uncle.

I am sure I would know him by sight, take it easy and remember the good times, hope you're boy is OK.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:49 am

R.I.P very sad. :bluebird:

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:23 pm

I worked with Les for many years at Llanwern but hadn't seen him since just after he collapsed at home and was interviewed on the Welsh news.Always looking on the bright side and never a bad word about anyone.R.I.P. Les

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:30 pm

Bluebird59 wrote:I worked with Les for many years at Llanwern but hadn't seen him since just after he collapsed at home and was interviewed on the Welsh news.Always looking on the bright side and never a bad word about anyone.R.I.P. Les

I worked on the blast furnace in Llanwern as a fitter/turner, one of the labourers we had was a city fan named Les, is this the same person???

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Hot Mill roll shop from 1993 but he worked at Llanwern way before that.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Bluebird59 wrote:Hot Mill roll shop from 1993 but he worked at Llanwern way before that.

Yes i'm talking about the late 70's early 80's, it sounds like the same Les if so, RIP.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:40 pm

I was lucky enough to know Les and travelled away regularly with CCSC.

Fly high Bluebird Les :bluebird:

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Very sad.
Didnt know him but sure I'd recognise him if I saw a picture.

RIP

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Sad News RIP .

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 am

Just bumping this to let you know that Les’s funeral is on Friday 18th. It’s at the Crematorium in Cwmbran at 1pm followed by a short get together at the Upper Cock inn, Croesyceiliog (a mile down the road). And then appropriately his beloved Bluebirds are at home to Sheff Wed in the evening. Anyone who would like to come and pay their respects is more than welcome. We’ve invited people to wear either something blue or a city shirt.