Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Porthcawl

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:41 pm

Just returned from a day out at Porthcawl, My old man took me there first around 1977 and I have probably been back every year if for a day trip. I remember my granny there and the coney island in full swing in the 1980's and a restuarant called Fulgoni's great memories. Whilst strolling around there today 2 things struck me how daft that green building on the main seafront looks and someone who granted planning permission should be shot for allowing that, secondly regarding the fairground. My missus is convinced its due to be demolished but looking around on google it looks like it may be staying? i just wondered if anyone from the area may know if the fair is to stay or go to coin the clash :ayatollah:

Re: Porthcawl

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Just returned from a day out at Porthcawl, My old man took me there first around 1977 and I have probably been back every year if for a day trip. I remember my granny there and the coney island in full swing in the 1980's and a restuarant called Fulgoni's great memories. Whilst strolling around there today 2 things struck me how daft that green building on the main seafront looks and someone who granted planning permission should be shot for allowing that, secondly regarding the fairground. My missus is convinced its due to be demolished but looking around on google it looks like it may be staying? i just wondered if anyone from the area may know if the fair is to stay or go to coin the clash :ayatollah:

I'm 44 now and I remember my first trip when I was 7 years old, I loved every minute of it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:49 pm

["Forever Blue"]["Cefnfforestbluebird"]Just returned from a day out at Porthcawl, My old man took me there first around 1977 and I have probably been back every year if for a day trip. I remember my granny there and the coney island in full swing in the 1980's and a restuarant called Fulgoni's great memories. Whilst strolling around there today 2 things struck me how daft that green building on the main seafront looks and someone who granted planning permission should be shot for allowing that, secondly regarding the fairground. My missus is convinced its due to be demolished but looking around on google it looks like it may be staying? i just wondered if anyone from the area may know if the fair is to stay or go to coin the clash :ayatollah:[/quote]

I'm 44 now and I remember my first trip when I was 7 years old, I loved every minute of it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]
i remember going going down there with my parents for a week my mother was a shit cook we had those horrible tinned fray bentos pies and smash instant potato.
i ate more powder than actual potato those were the days

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:50 pm

steve davies wrote:["Forever Blue"]["Cefnfforestbluebird"]Just returned from a day out at Porthcawl, My old man took me there first around 1977 and I have probably been back every year if for a day trip. I remember my granny there and the coney island in full swing in the 1980's and a restuarant called Fulgoni's great memories. Whilst strolling around there today 2 things struck me how daft that green building on the main seafront looks and someone who granted planning permission should be shot for allowing that, secondly regarding the fairground. My missus is convinced its due to be demolished but looking around on google it looks like it may be staying? i just wondered if anyone from the area may know if the fair is to stay or go to coin the clash :ayatollah:

I'm 44 now and I remember my first trip when I was 7 years old, I loved every minute of it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:[/quote]
i remember going going down there with my parents for a week my mother was a shit cook we had those horrible tinned fray bentos pies and smash instant potato.
i ate more powder than actual potato those were the days[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:54 pm

In my caravan up in nottage now, I luv Porthcawl :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:12 pm

steve davies wrote:["Forever Blue"]["Cefnfforestbluebird"]Just returned from a day out at Porthcawl, My old man took me there first around 1977 and I have probably been back every year if for a day trip. I remember my granny there and the coney island in full swing in the 1980's and a restuarant called Fulgoni's great memories. Whilst strolling around there today 2 things struck me how daft that green building on the main seafront looks and someone who granted planning permission should be shot for allowing that, secondly regarding the fairground. My missus is convinced its due to be demolished but looking around on google it looks like it may be staying? i just wondered if anyone from the area may know if the fair is to stay or go to coin the clash :ayatollah:

smash instant potato!! blame me that takes me back a few years :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:20 pm

My parents bought a caravan down there about 85 & I always remember some pub can't think of the name,just up from the cinema it was.there was a load of lads age 18 + sitting on the wall & one asked me was I Cardiff or Swansea :shock: when I said I was Cardiff they all cheered & give me a sip of their beer :lol: I was only 9 at the time :D :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Xcasual wrote:My parents bought a caravan down there about 85 & I always remember some pub can't think of the name,just up from the cinema it was.there was a load of lads age 18 + sitting on the wall & one asked me was I Cardiff or Swansea :shock: when I said I was Cardiff they all cheered & give me a sip of their beer :lol: I was only 9 at the time :D :ayatollah:

The Dirty Duck.....demolished now.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

I'm 44 now and I remember my first trip when I was 7 years old, I loved every minute of it :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

:lol: :lol: :ayatollah:[/quote]

thats sound like my wifes cooking what am i missing out on ?

next time your there go to the esplande av my company have built quality buildings there and more to follow ask baz !
he supposed to be painting them lol

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Cefnfforestbluebird wrote:Just returned from a day out at Porthcawl, My old man took me there first around 1977 and I have probably been back every year if for a day trip. I remember my granny there and the coney island in full swing in the 1980's and a restuarant called Fulgoni's great memories. Whilst strolling around there today 2 things struck me how daft that green building on the main seafront looks and someone who granted planning permission should be shot for allowing that, secondly regarding the fairground. My missus is convinced its due to be demolished but looking around on google it looks like it may be staying? i just wondered if anyone from the area may know if the fair is to stay or go to coin the clash :ayatollah:

my best memorys are from porthcawl. my granparents had a caravan there when i was a kid, great days :ayatollah:

Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I've got very fond memories of Porthcawl. When I was very young (now that's going back a few years) we used to stay in the old gas caravans on Sandy Bay. They had gas mantels and I can still remember coming in from a night at the fair or pub and lighting the mantels with a match. I used to love the sound of the rain hammering down on the caravan roof and the sound of the Seagulls pecking at the bread on the neighbours caravans in the mornings and the people moaning that the damned Seagulls had woke them at Six in the morning.(I was a little Sod my Mother said)

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 am

The future of the fair is a bit uncertain I think, There is a supermarket going up near the doctors surgery Tesco or asda Im told. But the 'salt lake' where the cars park opposite the fair has been the subject of speculation for years with plans being put for flats, housing etc with a marina also proposed. Personally I dont take any notice anymore.

BTW there is a fair old support for the city here outnumbering Jacks big style :ayatollah: :mrgreen: