Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SKY SPORTS: CARDIFF CITY TO PAY ENTIRE TRANSFER MONEY OWED

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Sky Sports News reporter Rebecca Williams...

Sky Sports

Monday 30th September 2019

For many months there has been a bitter war of words to decide who will foot the bill for the transfer fee of Argentinian striker, Emiliano Sala.

He was Cardiff's record signing and the top goalscorer for Nantes for three consecutive seasons.

After his tragic death in January there was an outpouring of grief on both sides of the Channel. I was in Nantes for several days after the news broke. Locals would tell me stories of a young man, liked by all, who would make conversation with them in the supermarket or convenience store.

Not only was he a man loved dearly by his family, but a man who had captured the hearts of his team-mates and fans, many of whom were in floods of tears as they hung yellow scarves and flowers to the icy railings outside Nantes' training ground.

But while many were grieving over Sala's death, behind the scenes lawyers were battling in boardrooms over who should cover his transfer fee.

It is my understanding that the original agreement was that Cardiff would pay in three instalments, over a three-year period, and that Nantes only complained to FIFA about not receiving the first lump sum.

Therefore, unless Cardiff appeal, it seems likely that the club will be expected to cover the entire transfer fee in due course. They insist they are seeking clarification over the exact meaning of FIFA's decision, before deciding whether to appeal.

So this legal battle could potentially be drawn out even further. Meanwhile, Sala's family await his inquest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SKY SPORTS: CARDIFF CITY TO PAY ENTIRE TRANSFER MONEY OW

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Cardiff must pay Nantes £5.3m the first instalment now due for Emiliano Sala, says FIFA

By Sky Sports News

Monday 30th September 2019

The sum corresponds to the first instalment that Cardiff were due to pay the Ligue 1 club in January, as per the deal agreed for the transfer of the Argentinian striker.

The second instalment of the £15m fee agreed for Sala is due to be paid in January 2020.

Sala had signed for Cardiff for a £15m fee but died in a plane crash in the English Channel on January 21 as he was flying to the Welsh capital to start training with the then-Premier League side.

Cardiff had refused to pay the fee for Sala as they believed the contract signed was "not legally binding", and Nantes subsequently complained to world football's governing body in February.

Following a meeting in Zurich last Wednesday, FIFA notified both clubs of its findings on Monday and stated they will have the opportunity to appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne.

"The FIFA Players' Status Committee established that Cardiff City FC must pay FC Nantes the sum of EUR 6,000,000, corresponding to the first instalment due in accordance with the transfer agreement concluded between the parties on 19 January 2019 for the transfer of the late Emiliano Sala from FC Nantes to Cardiff City FC," a FIFA statement read.

"The FIFA Players' Status Committee, which never lost sight of the specific and unique circumstances of this tragic situation during its deliberations on the dispute at stake, refrained from imposing procedural costs on the parties."

Cardiff issued a statement in response which read: "Cardiff City FC acknowledges the decision announced today by FIFA's Players Status Committee regarding the transfer of Emiliano Sala.

"We will be seeking further clarification from FIFA on the exact meaning of their statement in order to make an informed decision on our next steps."

It has been reported Cardiff will also be liable for the other instalments agreed between the clubs, but FIFA stated it could not comment on this for "confidentiality reasons".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:39 pm

CARDIFF look set to be ordered to pay the FULL £15m fee for dead striker Emiliano Sala after Fifa backed French club Nantes.

In an interim judgement, following the two clubs’ failure to agree, Fifa ordered Cardiff to pay Nantes £5.3m.

But that represented just the initial claim by Nantes, which had been rejected by the Bluebirds.

And it has now emerged that Fifa are likely to find in favour of the French side over the next TWO instalments that would have been due over the three-year contract terms.

Cardiff agreed a £15m fee for the Argentine striker, 28, on January 19.

Sala was paraded at the City of Cardiff Stadium after completing the deal.

But just two days later, on his way back from a return visit to France, the plane carrying Sala ditched into the Channel.

The striker’s body was recovered after the plane was eventually located on February 3, 13 days after it had disappeared off air traffic control radar screens.

Toxicology tests suggested Sala and pilot David Ibbotson - whose body has never been found - had probably been rendered unconscious by carbon monoxide poisoning before the Piper Malibu craft ditched in the sea.

It later emerged that Ibbotson, did not have a licence to operate a commercial flight.

Cardiff had argued the transfer agreement was not valid because the Premier League had rejected some of the clauses Nantes had demanded were part of the original deal.

As Sala had not signed the revised contract, he was, the club maintained, therefore not registered as their player.

Nantes, in turn, demanded the full payment of the agreed fee.

Fifa President Gianni Infantino intervened and urged the clubs to find an agreement but with a deadline of September 5 before the matter was to be resolved by the world body’s player status committee.

That committee met in Zurich on Wednesday, with neither club represented in person.

Now Fifa has published the outcome with Nantes awarded £5.3m “corresponding to the first instalment due in accordance with the transfer agreement”.

Fifa insiders have confirmed that Nantes’ claims over the additional instalment will be heard in the future with the expectation that the French club’s case will be upheld.

Explaining the decision, Fifa stated the committee “never lost sight of the specific and unique circumstances of this tragic situation during its deliberations”.

Both clubs now have 10 days to request the written reasons and lodge an appeal to the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport.

That will give Cardiff a second opportunity to argue their case, this time to a panel of judges in Switzerland, but with the knowledge that Fifa have backed Nantes.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:42 pm

Martyn Ziegler
@martynziegler
Important developing news re FIFA ruling on Sala fee - Cardiff will be expected FULL £15million fee. Nantes only complained about first instalment but precedent set for future instalments. Cardiff will appeal to CAS.
FIFA had hoped clubs would settle the issue between them.

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 pm

No surprise really

Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:01 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:No surprise really

Insurance time then

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:59 am

goats wrote:

Insurance time then

No insurance as plane not insured and not a qualified pilot.

Sue the Agents :thumbright:

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:41 am

Forever Blue wrote:
goats wrote:

Insurance time then

They'll just liquidate their assets.

Very sad incident altogether which CCFC are paying for

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:10 am

goats wrote:

Insurance time then

You mean player insurance?

As I said previously, the reason this all came about was pretty obviously because the club didn’t take out insurance on the player. There is no way on earth they would have kicked up this fuss otherwise.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:12 am

NIBluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
goats wrote:

Insurance time then

They'll just liquidate their assets.

Very sad incident altogether which CCFC are paying for

True Mike, But Already putting one company under.

City have been working with this agent for nearly 3yrs and Warnock has, they should of known better.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:22 am

The club wouldn’t win a case against the agent anyway. All he did was book a flight as the club would only offer a budget commercial one. When you book a flight you don’t know who will be piloting it, and certainly have no control over that pilot giving the job to someone else with a lesser licence. I have never asked to inspect the pilots licence on any flight I have been on and doubt anyone here has either.

The only area they may have a case is against the company that owns the plane, but it’s unclear as nobody wants to own up to owning it or running it with it being registered in the States. One this is for sure, McKay will be seeking the cash for brokering the deal now FIFA have ratified the deal as valid.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 am

welsh-dragon-days wrote:The club wouldn’t win a case against the agent anyway. All he did was book a flight as the club would only offer a budget commercial one. When you book a flight you don’t know who will be piloting it, and certainly have no control over that pilot giving the job to someone else with a lesser licence. I have never asked to inspect the pilots licence on any flight I have been on and doubt anyone here has either.

The only area they may have a case is against the company that owns the plane, but it’s unclear as nobody wants to own up to owning it or running it with it being registered in the States. One this is for sure, McKay will be seeking the cash for brokering the deal now FIFA have ratified the deal as valid.

I am pretty sure I read that 2 agents, including Mckay, have said they do not want their fees. Not sure how true that is though or where I read it.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:12 am

Escott1927 wrote:
welsh-dragon-days wrote:The club wouldn’t win a case against the agent anyway. All he did was book a flight as the club would only offer a budget commercial one. When you book a flight you don’t know who will be piloting it, and certainly have no control over that pilot giving the job to someone else with a lesser licence. I have never asked to inspect the pilots licence on any flight I have been on and doubt anyone here has either.

I am pretty sure I read that 2 agents, including Mckay, have said they do not want their fees. Not sure how true that is though or where I read it.

Maybe. That would be totally down to their own personal discretion though. It’s pretty clear that should they want to pursue it then they would most likely get paid.